Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the side cover, the painted panel directly below my seat, left side, on my '08 Gl1800. The most forward oval shaped rubber anchor grommet has for the moment disappeared. Is this a specialty item ? I'll dig around for it in the " light of day ", but if it doesn't appear where can I get such a minor, albeit significant, piece?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Just saw oval grommets on ebay store last night. bought belly pan and was looking at what else they had. think you had to buy a bag of them tho.

midwest cycle pro

don't know for sure they are right or right size but they were oval and was trying to figure out what they were for as I haven't seen one on the gl1500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know Wingstuff sells grommet kits. They seem to be pretty reasonable.

Also, you can look up and buy the OEM parts on cheapcycleparts.com. They have a really good part finder.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Buy extras. Over the years you will go through a couple of them. Joe has the right idea. You can also use small plastic tie downs..

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's and item you can get from a dealer or most Gold Wing accessory shops carry them. If you can't find one than this what I have. Also once you have it in place you can put a small wire tie around it to keep from losing it again.
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2245&str=4
Wing Stuff is 50 cents cheaper,
http://wingstuff.com/search_list.php?searchval=52-691&x=18&y=11
Joe, et al., That's the little kit. I see the lost grommet in there . Tks. I'll be on WingStuff tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yup, Wingstuff's where I bought my backup grommet set.

I also carry a small container of silicone grease on the bike. A light coating on the grommets and the tupperware pops on and off easily, without pulling the grommet off with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you can get them at the dealer too but i do have a few extra pm me your address and i'll send you one

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The problem with the OEM grommets (not to mention the $3 price of the little beggars) is the parts fiche is very vague as to the shape of the grommet being viewed and the picture really sucks. I'm getting mine from Wingstuff. At least you can see what you are getting and you get a bagfull for the price of three individual ones from Honda.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I call my local Honda Manassas shop and Darin said he has a bunch of misc. sizes and shapes and to stop by and " dig " through the pile. I placed the order this morning to have some on hand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We have several bike shops in my area (farming community) they all sell the kits. It would be cheaper to buy local than to pay the handling/shipping on just 1 item- takes $175 to get free shipping.

I use pure silicon to keep them in place. But how do you loose 1 when the side cover is in place and riding? I can see 1 falling off when you remove the side cover. never lost 1 on any of my bikes.

Maybe the GW is different from any of my other bikes.
GW
Ulrea classic
VTX

dd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts