Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today, I discovered that mice had left little presents and smelly pee in the trunk of my 2015 Goldwing. This is not the first time this has happened. Early this spring, I found about 20 hickory nuts in the trunk... My questions are: Does anyone know how they enter the trunk, and what fix or modification can I make to keep them out?

I live in the country and mice in the garage are a never ending challenge. I can catch 3 or 4 a week easily with my peanut butter traps and more recently rat poison (but they die in difficult)!

Several years ago, the dang things ate the gas lines on my BMW K1200LT. After getting my jeans sprayed with gas while riding, I was pretty upset... yikes.

Any help or advice for my Goldwing issue is much appreciated! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Check your local Hardware store, for Victor Sent away capsules. They come in Packs of 3. It's a peppermint oil Capsule . I started using them a couple years ago and haven't had a problem since. The capsule is a little larger then your thumb and comes with a hook for hanging them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. I'll see if my wife objects to peppermint scented camera equipment, but perhaps I'll remove the capsules when we go riding. I will give them a try!

If anyone knows how / where a mouse can burrow into the truck, let me know!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mild Mothballs -

Hey Henry - It is amazing how small an opening a determined mouse can squeeze through. There are probably other solutions but - how do you feel about using a mild bag of scented miniature mothballs ? I had already chased the mice out of my 96 GW (sold) then one winter they eat through several wire bundles in "Manly Stanly" my Dakota motorcycle tow-mobile. A few old socks placed around the body and under the hood stuffed with mothballs took care of my problem. The slight odor didn't remain long at all once back on the road.

Good Luck - Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I had an issue with the little buggers chewing up my gloves in my trunk. I set traps in the shed I park my bike in and I placed a Vector Tom Cat mouse bait box in the trunk three years ago and I have had no problems since. I also make sure that I fully close the trunk instead of leaving it open.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can try Fresh Cab (mint) bags as well. I use them with some success under my ATV seats, where they like to chew the wiring harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
11,592 Posts
Dryer fabric sheets are also supposed to work. I haven't tried them, but have heard they work.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The moth balls can also go near the tires and the kickstand which are the only access points they have from the ground of course you got flying mice LOL

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dryer fabric sheets are also supposed to work. I haven't tried them, but have heard they work.
One thing I found out about the dryer sheets. seems the Bounce fresh scent work the best. I have used these in my garage and shed with good results. I also use them in my travel trailer while in storage.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Riding the bikes more helps too, don't give them time to get in

Reactions: budoka and dwade

·
Administrator
26,312 Posts
I had mice using my airbox as a larder. Screen over the intakes fixed that!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Riding the bikes more helps too, don't give them time to get in

(Gee DSurley, are you involved in every thread?)

Regarding mice. Riding more may provide some protection from unwanted tenants, if you live somewhere you can ride all year. Here in the Midwest however, despite my best efforts to ride all year, snow eventually forces a month or two of winter downtime. Last winter, I was stunned to find mice had made themselves at home in my GL1800's trunk. I took a multi-pronged approach that ultimately put an end to these unwanted visitors - and subsequent visits.

First, I cleaned out the trunk and saddlebags. (I still don't know how they got into the locked bag, but oh well).

Then I set a bunch of traps, along the walls, where they must have scurried along to get to my bike. I also put one in the trunk. The photos below were the first nights catch. Over the next two nights, I nabbed a couple more.

Once the initial invasion was repelled, I kept the trunk empty and open. And I kept traps out all winter. The most effective where the glue traps, though they were problematic in that they would also catch miscellaneous debris in the form of dead leaves the wind brings in all winter.

Keep the bulk of the traps along the wall. Mice, for some reason, seem to cling to walls in their home invasions.

I guess I was lucky. The little buggers got near, but not into the air intakes for the filter. When I changed the air filter, I saw the evidence in the filter (small quantity if those black sesame-seed-like pellets.

Lesson learned. This was the first winter I didn't move the motorcycle to my woodworking shop in a nearby industrial mall. There's no habitat for mice there, so no incursions. Next winter the bike goes back to the shop, where I'll deal with the air leak and pitting in the rear wheel (thread one) and the leak above the dog bone under the swing arm (thread two). See you there...

Exhibit 1) Discovery!

Exhibit 2, 3,4 and 5) Eviction notice

·
Super Moderator
11,592 Posts
Nasty critters.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you would be amazed by the gaps in the plastic saddlebags and trunk that we can’t see. I was disassembling a 2.2 gm engine for scrapping and found a mouse nest in the oil pan pickup area. This engine was totally sealed. A complete engine pulled out as a replacement. it even had the dipstick still in it. Go figure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
you would be amazed by the gaps in the plastic saddlebags and trunk that we can’t see. I was disassembling a 2.2 gm engine for scrapping and found a mouse nest in the oil pan pickup area. This engine was totally sealed. A complete engine pulled out as a replacement. it even had the dipstick still in it. Go figure.
I know what you mean. Mice somehow manage to squeeze into the smallest gaps at the sides of the garage door. In some small sense, I'm envious of their ability to fit into these small spaces. No matter how much I try to suck in my gut, I still can't squeeze into those size 34 jeans I wore in the 70s...

The best tool for keeping critters out of those "gaps" and away from the bike in general is the larger glue pad. (The cheaper smaller pads are virtually useless). You can create a moat of these around the bike (or at least the wheels and center-stand) and the mice won't have a chance. I don't like that some of the mice might linger awhile on those pads once stuck, but rather that than let them pass and wreak any more havoc with my bike.

The standard traps do kill the mice instantly, but no matter how you place them, there will be gaps they can get through. Keeping a few of those in the trunk is nevertheless a good idea. (I think the saddle bags are a good deal harder for mice to get into. I never found any in mine). Deal with the settlers when they try to establish their home front. It goes without saying, keep those spaces empty, denying the mice materials from which to build nests. And I've learned, keep the trunk open.

Peanut butter is the best bait. Even though the larger glue pads come pre-baited (with peanut butter scent), a dab of peanut butter in the little cup in the center of the pad seems to do the trick. Be prepared for the aftermath though. I keep a heavy duty garbage bag handy and toss the mouse laden glue pads rather than try to reuse them. The moat is shored up immediately with a new pad.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Apparently mice hate the smell of mint. I had several mice in my garage. Went to Lowe’s and bought a box of several packets of mint. Put one pack on the garage floor around the bike and haven’t seen a mouse scenes. FYI.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's priceless. We have a mouse hole in the back yard, where we caught three in the last two days. It's right by the patch of mint we grow for our tabbouleh...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts