Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 GL1800 and need a back rest. I have read and researched and can't seem to find agreement on which ones actually work. I want a solid mount and sturdy support of my back while highway riding.

Recommendations and pictures if you have them would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I ride with a Kuryakyn back rest and like it. It gives me good support and I'm able to move it forward and down when my wife is getting on the bike and back in place with ease. Works well for me.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
The choice is between a " bar style " or " no bar style " mount. The bar style is a quick/simple bolt on mount ; the no bar style requires cutting into the seat. Regarding the bar style mount, some have expressed complaints that the bar irritates the passenger's legs , which I suppose has a lot to do with the size of those thighs. I have the Utopia no bar style. http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=Backrest

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
The choice is between a " bar style " or " no bar style " mount. The bar style is a quick/simple bolt on mount ; the no bar style requires cutting into the seat. Regarding the bar style mount, some have expressed complaints that the bar irritates the passenger's legs , which I suppose has a lot to do with the size of those thighs. I have the Utopia no bar style. http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=Backrest
I agree!

If you're staying with your stock seat, the Utopia back rest is perfect!

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Utopia here too! Wife did NOT like that the others, the bars would hit her legs.

Lee,

My wife has nice legs....watch it bub! LOL

Mark

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If you ride 2 up than you need the utopia, not a big deal to cut into the seat and install it. There are youtube video's on it. If you ride solo than a bar mounted one like show chrome is good.
Bar mounted backrest

Utopia backrest

·
Registered
306 Posts
I also have the Utopia, the nice feature about it is that you can adjust the lean while on the road. Just reach behind the seat and turn the finger screw, I like this because if I want to put my feet up on the hiway bars I lean it back a turn or two. Readjust when necessary, easy day.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I have the Utopia. I like it a lot ... couldn't ride very far without it. However, it does have some give to it. It is firm, but ... it is not as solid as a bar mount. I like this feature too. I don't feel the road through the back rest but it is firm enough to support my back. I did have to adjust the pad up, to accommodate my height. The only down side is when the manufacture drilled the holes that attach the pad support bar to the upright bar (coming out of the seat), they didn't square them. So the seat pad has a Port list to it.

Make sure you make mention of this, to Utopia, before (or if) you buy one.

·
Administrator
15,310 Posts
Last weekend I got a seat from Wingsoft and had the Utopia backrest added. I'm still getting used to it but the 180 mile ride home went very well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
What'd your seat set you back Mark if you don't mind?
I have the Utopia and I'd be hard pressed to change.

·
Administrator
15,310 Posts
What'd your seat set you back Mark if you don't mind?
I have the Utopia and I'd be hard pressed to change.
What I got is the full Monty, Big Seat, something deluxe....with on site modification to the backrest included; it was free.

My wife (treasurer) bought me an early Christmas present. But it set her back just over 800. The backrest is pretty good. Never used one before but after just a couple hundred miles I'm not sure I can do without one again.

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
Mark,

I will say you will never do without oone again. Once you have a backrest riding is different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.