Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm a 53 year old new motorcycle rider (as of a year ago) and just purchased a 2008 Goldwing. I've gone on two different day rides of 5 to 8 hours long and get a terrible neck aching and pain after about one hour of riding.
Was just wondering if this is normal until I get use to wearing a helmet that long or if anyone else experienced this. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
The one thing I can say is something that my brother shared with me. It's possible that you may be gripping your bars to hard, thinking you have to muscle the beast. I was doing that & after my talk with my bro I loosened up & it worked perfectly.

2ndly is your helmet the proper size?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
If you are not use to wearing a helmet that may be the problem. If it persists, try to look for a lighter helmet which may help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am probably griping the grips too tightly which may be causing the stress in my neck. The helmet is a 3/4 helmet that is definitely the right size. I am very concentrated when I am driving the wing and I very well could be griping the grips too tightly unconsciously. Will look at that my next ride. It goes away after I finish the ride so I know it is the way I am handling the ride itself. I do love the ride though but would be much better if I can figure this out. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I haven't had that much of a problem on my 07 Wing but I do have that problem on my 05 FJR. I've determined that its the wind buffeting the helmet and my trying to hold the helmet steady is straining the neck muscles. So, you might try raising or lowering your windscreen some to reduce any wind buffeting around that area. Also, that silly little vent can perform some miracles. Sometimes when the wind is blowing from the side, I can direct the wind through the vent to blow on the upper part of the helmet and it cuts down on helmet jerky movements. I have and use both a HJC Flip Up and a HJC Full Face. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Try consciously relaxing your arms and letting your elbows drop down a little. I found that for whatever reason I was keeping my elbows raised up, and that was causing a strain on my neck.

·
Registered
741 Posts
All the advice from above is great. After having a year off of riding many years ago, it took a while for all the little 'stabilizer' muscles to get back into shape. Those little neck, shoulder, and back muscles can cause alot of discomfort and take a while to heal. Time on the bike should ultimately take care of everything. Good luck

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Do you have a backrest and Highway pegs installed ? The other issue to consider is the position of the handlebars relative to your reach. For me, the bars are too far forward and I plan to install a riser kit to move them up 1 in. and back 1 in. to take full advantage of the seat backrest.

·
Super Moderator
14,423 Posts
The other issue to consider is the position of the handlebars relative to your reach.
This, along with Fossil's comments about gripping too hard, would be my guess. I've got long arms and I find it a stretch to the bars. I also have some risers in my future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ordered a Utopia backrest and the bike already had highway pegs. I think my biggest problem is just relaxing and letting those unused muscles to get in shape from riding more. Thanks for all your help.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Just one more piece of advice. Since you are a relatively new rider, have you considered an MSF basic course? if you've done that, how about an advanced rider course. These instructors are very good at spotting flaws in your riding technique and could likely point out what's giving you grief if it's a control gripping thing. That plus the fact it could save your hide is worth it in itself. I did an advanced course a few years back and I was amazed at how many stupid habits I had developed, and I considered myself a good and safe rider. My instructor pointed out that I was actualy putting myself at risk some of the time and could have left myself with no "out" if a cager was to do something stupid in one of the other lanes. Nothing I didn't already know, but had become 'lax' with it. If I do end up with another sport bike, I'm headed to the track for some instruction there. Not to become a boy racer again, but for my own good on a higher performance machine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did attend a basic MSF course a year ago before I started riding.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ordered a Utopia backrest and the bike already had highway pegs. I think my biggest problem is just relaxing and letting those unused muscles to get in shape from riding more. Thanks for all your help.
The Utopia backrest ( or any brand ) is a PLUS , and for the stock setup it is as good as it can be. Purchase the comforts / supports in increment as your body feels them necessary.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I found that by tipping the handle bar up a little to raise the grips helped on my 1500. Found I was leaning forward and having to tip my head up to to watch the road which was straining my neck and shoulder muscles after riding a while.
Don't know if the 1800 bars are adjustable or not.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Cover the brake and clutch handles with your fingers. This naturally requires you to relax your grip..... otherwise you pull in the clutch and stop with your front brake!! Try using the cruise control or a wrist / throttle breaker too. Keep your breathing deep and relax and enjoy the ride.

You are probably riding the bike like one rides on a roller coaster. The ones that enjoy the roller coaster the most are the ones who can just relax during the ride. I hate roller coasters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What type of riding are you doing? On the open road my neck is fine but around town it hurts because I keep looking for my reflection in all the store windows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We use flip-up helmets and initially we sometime rode with them in the up position and ended up with neck aches. We now lower them before moving out and have elimnated the neck ache.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is normal , I have long arms and a very comfortable back rest an sometimes I had that neck pain too ,but if the helmet is very tide on your heat you will feel not only neck pain ,you'll be be very tired too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts