Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on a trip to Las Vegas in the summer and coming back through Northern California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and back to Alberta
I have a 2010 GoldWing with navigation.
I have tried to read as much as possible to get an understanding if there is an upgrade available for my GPS and where a guy could purchase it.
I don't know where I would have to look anymore for this info, it is bit confusing to me.
Has it ever been disclosed why this system shows every "body" of water in North America however, small and medium towns are not shown?
Is it in the manual somewhere to change the system to show more information?
If there is, I would like to know where.
Is what I am dealing with the best that this system will provide?
If in fact it is, I would like to know what the best GPS system is out there to mount on my bike.
I am looking forward to the feedback, thank you.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I have a 2006 GL1800 Navi and the Navi is close to worthless.

I know of no solution for small towns - it is a well know issue.

What you are seeing is the best the Honda/Garmin Navi will show.

The best system to mount on a bike is obviously debatable but I am a long distance rider and use Garmin's Zumo 665.

Pros
  • Waterproof
  • Motorcycle/Glove friendly interface
  • Supposedly built for the vibration of a motorcycle
  • Bright display
  • Integrated XM Radio
  • Integrated Audiobook (audible.com) reader
  • RAM mount
  • Connects directly to GL1800 AUX audio plug
  • Weather on Route

Cons
  • EXPENSIVE!
  • Basecamp interface sucks
  • Display is bright but washes out in direct sun
  • Did I mention it is expensive?
  • Traffic on Route is worthless
  • No direct integration to Streets and Trips (I have a workaround)

I think the ZUMO 660 is identical except no XM radio.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
It may have to do with the resolution setting. I haven't a chance to use the nav system on my 2012 but when I look at maps online some small towns will not show up until the resolution is adjusted. It may or may not work the same way on the Wing navigation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2008 Goldwing, and have been frustrated with the GPS for 75,000 kms of touring with it. There is no way around it. It doesn't show small towns, and squawks at you continuously when you go off the planned route, overriding the intercom conversations, and you can't program it in your hotel room for the next days ride.

I purchased a Zumo 660, with life time up dates and it was the best thing I ever did. Map Quest is a pain, but the on line Honda planner is great to program trips on, and download into the GPS. You can even load it directly onto an optional scan disk mini card. The Harley planner also works well.

Another plus is that I store music on it, and it plays directly through my intercom or speaker system.

By the way, I am also doing a Western U.S trip, leaving in May from Montreal for Tennesse, Arkansas, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and South Dakota, then back home.

Enjoy your ride, ride safe

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2012 and going on a trip to a friends house in a little georgia town it got me right to the door with no problems. Plus have the weather which helped keep me pretty dry

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Zack, you're not that far away from me, PM sent.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Budoka
You are right, Just South from Athabasca in Edmonton
Since I have had my Wing I have gotten to know your backyard
a lot better.
Love that part of the province.
Zakzozeen

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Well heck, lemme know the next time you're headed this way. I'll figure out something entertaining to do!:meme:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Honda's wing navigation is only good to show you what country your in. It is cumbersome, why did they need a book 1/2" thick if it wasn't? These days I pull over and turn on my cell phone navigation. It looks cool to those who don't have it, but I would not spend the money again. I would instead have spent the extra thousand on a CB, when I bought my 2008 Wing.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Yes the GPS is not the sh!t....but it does the job. I turn off the talking part and just glance at the screen once in a while. Works for what I need it for, getting from point A to point B. or C, D, for that matter.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
am I the only one who just uses my smartphone? I just pull up google maps and click where I want to go and hit navigate and it starts talking to me, takes all of 10 seconds to "program" a route.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I guess I won't be unloading my Zumo 660. Just ordered a Wing mount for it.

·
Banned
466 Posts
WW: the 660 is also not perfect. I have a 665 (two) and I think it is the same item save XM-radio.

The Zumo 660/665 is water proof. I have been in hard and prolonged rain and it survived fine.

The Zumo Bluetooth implementation is suspect. I don't use it but I have riding buddies who do and it is flakey.

Most LD riders I know report the Zumo boots/shutsdown unexpectedly about once per day. Mine certainly does. I rarely make a full LD ride with out it just shutting off. it restarts and continues where it left off just fine but it is annoying.

Basecamp is AWFUL as a planning tool. Basecamp will not load S&T GPX files. (must use a converter sch as GPSBabel).

No doubt the Zumo Is the best Motorcycle GPS out there but it is far from "done"

·
Registered
268 Posts
WW: the 660 is also not perfect. I have a 665 (two) and I think it is the same item save XM-radio.

The Zumo 660/665 is water proof. I have been in hard and prolonged rain and it survived fine.

The Zumo Bluetooth implementation is suspect. I don't use it but I have riding buddies who do and it is flakey.

Most LD riders I know report the Zumo boots/shutsdown unexpectedly about once per day. Mine certainly does. I rarely make a full LD ride with out it just shutting off. it restarts and continues where it left off just fine but it is annoying.

Basecamp is AWFUL as a planning tool. Basecamp will not load S&T GPX files. (must use a converter sch as GPSBabel).

No doubt the Zumo Is the best Motorcycle GPS out there but it is far from "done"
Hey John,no complaints with the 660LM so far,other than the screen in the sun.Something the GW unit seems to improve on,too bad the rest of it appears to be lacking.I pair it up with a Sena bluetooth so don't spend much time looking @ a screen anyway.
I've only been an 1800 Wing owner for about 3 weeks and have a lot too learn.A Vic. Vision and a gaggle of Harleys before that.
Mike

·
Banned
466 Posts
Little brother has a Sena helmet setup and I used it when I was in Missouri recently and it worked well. I only rode about 500 miles but I paired my phone to my 665 and the phone worked, XM radio worked. I did notice that sometimes if I "Ignore" a call the music would not return until I switched sources on the media player in the 665; purposely switch from XM to MP3 and back. It possible this is a quirk in the 665 because often when I leave on a trip the 665 music is muted and I switch sources to MP3 and back and all is well.

I was darn impressed with the voice quality from the mic on my modular helmet. Even flipped up at 65mph I could talk on the phone.

Current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News tests 6 BT brands, Sena is the only one they recommend.

G

·
Well, maybe not all that bad!

Yes the GPS is not the sh!t....but it does the job. I turn off the talking part and just glance at the screen once in a while. Works for what I need it for, getting from point A to point B. or C, D, for that matter.

Mark
Im not going into details again but despite all the negative comments which i had for it I rate it ok.(barely) If i was to substitute it for something else I would want the new GPS to work with my Honda intercom system and be able to get voice prompts on demand as I do now
Once you choose a state or city the info you get should be about that place only.
I still have hope that some company will come up with new software for the system

·
Registered
217 Posts
From what I have found out most GPS systems get their map data from Navteq. What distinguishes one system from the other is the software and hardware running it. On one of the auto forums I used to belong to, one the members did a little digging and found out it takes approximately 5 years for the map data to get a complete refresh. Map data gets updated frequently but its done incrementally and not a 100% coverage update each time which explains why it seems some areas get updated and not others. I would suspect new subdivisions in areas like Boston would likely see more updates than say a new subdivision in Shelby, Montana but eventually it all gets done. I have a factory Garmin system in my Ram truck and while its layout and operation is similar to my Garmin Nuvi it lacks several features plus updates are only available once a year rather than 4 for the Nuvi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.