Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through the information on the 2012 GW I see that Honda seems to have made some improvements on the on board navigation system/software, including "Trip Planner". Does anybody know whether this is going to be available as an upgrade for the 2009/2010 models?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think it's a new system, The 2012 takes a SD card, I don't think the earlier Navi systems have an SD card, but I could be wrong because I don't have a Navi system.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I think it's a new system, The 2012 takes a SD card, I don't think the earlier Navi systems have an SD card, but I could be wrong because I don't have a Navi system.
My 07 has a CF card. Besides its not the card, but the information on the card that is important. I doubt very seriously that Garmin will make them "backward" compatible. It would be a firmware change but who knows. I know they don't make their other GPS's backward compatible. Would be nice though..

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emailed the Swiss Honda importer and got a reply that they don't yet have any information on the 2012 model, yet ... figures! Somehow I don't think they'll offer an upgrade as the Trip Planner supposedly stores its planning data on the SD card for transfer to the navigation system ... and that card is, as DreamWeaver confirms, for the map data ...

Ah well, just thought I'd ask if anybody has any different information. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
If I know Mother Honda and Garmin, based on previous examples, the upgrade will not be backward compatible. It's something new that's intended to make you want a new Wing. If you could get the same thing on an older model, why would you upgrade. Part of the marketing strategy.. BUT, they may prove me wrong, which won't be the first time....

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
There is an upgrade for the 09/10 models due out this month so I am told by the Dealers.
It will be interesting to see how much is upgraded/updated. Quite frankly, it wouldn't be hard to improve on current ...... it's archaic ! Most dissappointing.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
My '08 Navi shows at best those roads finished before '06. I don't use to tell me where I'm going, but to tell me where I am ( or somewhere near where I am or think I am or wish I were or close enough to somewhere that I could stop and ask for directions to find out where I am going....... ).

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
My '08 Navi shows at best those roads finished before '06. I don't use to tell me where I'm going, but to tell me where I am ( or somewhere near where I am or think I am or wish I were or close enough to somewhere that I could stop and ask for directions to find out where I am going....... ).
:( Not good for "The Flagship" of the touring world is it ? Embarrasing at times ... better off with a $99 Tom Tom actually.

I find the whole thing frustrating. It's not as if Garmin does't have the information because they provide it on other systems.

But let's hope that the upgrade will be a good one. :)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Any "upgrade" that Garmin offers will most likely just be to a newer version of Maps. I just keep in mind that a GPS is really just for telling you where you are lost at. And yes, its a shame that the Nav system on the wing is so limited. But...at least its purdy at night...:D

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I was going to tell you where to go, but my sense of fair play got the better of me. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Last time I checked, there were only 2 kinds of computers/GPS units out there, those being: 1) brand new, and 2) obsolete. My '08 nav still has a current and useable compass, and it is purdy at nite.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is an upgrade for the 09/10 models due out this month so I am told by the Dealers.
Interesting, thanks! Based on the other feedback here (thanks to all) that we can expect an update of map data, but not of the nav software itself ... will keep you posted from an European perspective (yes, we do have one ;)) as soon as I've had a chance to talk to my dealer.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I have a 2010. I wanted ABS so I had no choice on the Nav. Now that I have experienced Honda's version of a Nav system, I just consider that I spent a lot o money on ABS because this Nav is terrible. Almost not worth having at any price. I'll soon be getting another GPS. As far as the current system, it is good as a backup to a backup to Plan B given Option A or otherwise it makes a nice nightlight.
As far as a backward compatible upgrade, me personally, I think you can forgettaboutit. Even IF such an upgrade existed I wonder how much it would cost and would it be worth it compared to other options already available? I'm thinking I might just give myself a Zumo for Father's Day !

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The Cdn models all have a CF card, and the upgrade from Honda is expensive but worth it I think. I haven't heard about another upgrade for the US units, but they have had SD cards since '08 or '09 as far as I know. The system is almost identical to the auto system as far as operation goes, my wife's RL system pretty much sucks too. The Cdn data base is very weak and the upgrades for her car are hideously expensive compared to what I spent on the bike upgrade, and the only one she bought was no improvement at all. Neither Garmin or Honda have been any help for her.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
If you guys are looking for map upgrades, I would suggest getting in touch with [email protected] . I bought a CF, Unlocked , Non NT card from him several months ago for about $35 or $40 for my 07 Wing. It was the 2009 version of maps. You might consider this route to upgrading maps rather than spending $140 for the same thing at Garmin. I ordered and got his card and just removed the old card and stuck the new one in and away I went. I'm just throwing this out there as information for those who may want to save money in this economy. Quite frankly, I haven't seen a lot of difference but I haven't been doing a lot of traveling since then. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got this update for my 06, for the money it is definetly worth it. My city map is much better, I will get out on the road in another month. Thanks Quinton...

·
Registered
7 Posts
At a certain point, probably after a couple of years, it's easier to buy a portable GPS for the bike than it is to screw around with firmware and software, and a lot LESS expensive.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Don't give in to them.

Don't give in to them. Honda carry on about "The Flagship" of the touring world, and then fit a second rate nav system. Nag & nag until they live up to their claims & supply something that befits the quality of the bike you are proud to own & ride.

It's not as if Garmin does not have the information & technology to upgrade the system ...... just ask a BMW rider !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts