Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have an 2008 Wing, have done the 2012 upgrade to the GPS.
1) Is there a later upgrade module for it?
2) Is there anyway to do a trip on the Honda Trip Planner website and upload it to the bike?
Planning a trip for sometime in the Spring and don't trust my instincts enuf to get me there and back (and would prefer not to have to perchase a new GPS system)

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Simple answer is no . The 2006 to 2008 US models do not allow you to import a trip from trip planner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simple answer is no . The 2006 to 2008 US models do not allow you to import a trip from trip planner.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaang.... I was afraid that was going to be the case. Guess i'll need to look at other options.... grrrrrrrrrr....

Do you know if there's a more recent upgrade than 2012? I went a lot of places this summer that weren't here in 2012.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Don't worry. Honda's trip planner is not what they say it is. Very archaic. There are others out there that work much better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't matter, if I can't move it to the GPS.... LOL

What others would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I have to assume you are talking about map updates .
check this thread out . It is very long and on another site but it will answer your questions .

·
Registered
250 Posts
When you say you did the 2012 upgrade, does that mean you replaced the GPS unit in the trunk of your 08 to one from a 2012 and up? Or, you just updated the maps from a 2012.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For what it is worth, I have not updated my 2008 navigation system because I rely on my phone and using Waze [mostly] or Google Drive. I may use the bike's navigation as a backup - maybe. But frankly the phone apps update constantly, and Waze provides me current traffic and road hazard info. I mount my phone using a Quadlock system that I really like and I plug my phone into the bike and used the Aux option.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you say you did the 2012 upgrade, does that mean you replaced the GPS unit in the trunk of your 08 to one from a 2012 and up? Or, you just updated the maps from a 2012.
There was a card upgrade available a few years ago that updated the map info in the trunk to 2012... just replaced the card.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There was a card upgrade available a few years ago that updated the map info in the trunk to 2012... just replaced the card.
Ok, then as already stated, there is no way to download routs that you make on a computer. On the 2012 GPS upgrade, they have a second card that you pull out and download the routs to from your computer. You then put it back into the bike GPS and upload the map.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Ok, then as already stated, there is no way to download routs that you make on a computer. On the 2012 GPS upgrade, they have a second card that you pull out and download the routs to from your computer. You then put it back into the bike GPS and upload the map.

On his 2008 there is not a second card. There is no way for you to download a route on a US. 2008 nav. The only way to enter a route/trip in through the bikes keyboard. It is a PITA but it can be done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, I have an 2008 Wing, have done the 2012 upgrade to the GPS.
1) Is there a later upgrade module for it?
2) Is there anyway to do a trip on the Honda Trip Planner website and upload it to the bike?
Planning a trip for sometime in the Spring and don't trust my instincts enuf to get me there and back (and would prefer not to have to perchase a new GPS system)

Larry
I also have an '08 HPN and I can't find any GPS unit in my trunk to do an update and have no idea on how to go about updating it IF I can find it can ANYBODY in the Brain Trust help me PLEASE? "Help me O B 1, you are my only hope!"

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
First one word of caution . If you try and do a map update be very careful re-installing the memory card. If you are not you may end up lot quite a few others that did damage to their nav units.

Now if you still want to continue go to you bike and check and see what firmware and mapset you have.
To do this turn the ignition to ACC. and activate the Nav . Now press the Menu button and the select the System info
option. You may have to select Sysetm info on the next screen as well. you should have a screen that looks like this

Yor numbers will be different. Write down the Software Version and Map Version # and post them here. Do not post the Unit ID #. Keep that number private.

Now if you wish to continue here is a picture of the Nav Case in the trunk.

The access door is on the left and you will find the memory Compact Flash memory card there.
Post back with the nav info and we care procede to the next step.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't worry. Honda's trip planner is not what they say it is. Very archaic. There are others out there that work much better.
Could you give us your thoughts on what is better. I have used some others for my Garmin systems and haven't found one better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First one word of caution . If you try and do a map update be very careful re-installing the memory card. If you are not you may end up lot quite a few others that did damage to their nav units.

Now if you still want to continue go to you bike and check and see what firmware and mapset you have.
To do this turn the ignition to ACC. and activate the Nav . Now press the Menu button and the select the System info
option. You may have to select Sysetm info on the next screen as well. you should have a screen that looks like this

View attachment 274631

Yor numbers will be different. Write down the Software Version and Map Version # and post them here. Do not post the Unit ID #. Keep that number private.

Now if you wish to continue here is a picture of the Nav Case in the trunk. View attachment 274632

The access door is on the left and you will find the memory Compact Flash memory card there.
Post back with the nav info and we care procede to the next step.

Hope this helps.
Hello Jinx, THANK YOU for your advice! My software version show as 4.31 on my '08 HPN do I need the update?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Yes you do. The latest software for your bike is 5.1 . If you want to up date your maps you will need to update that first.
My suggestion is to get a new Compact Flash card of atleast 4gb. That way you can update the firmware and mapset with out losing you oem maps. It is always best to leave the oem CF card alone so you have a fall back.
If you get or have a CF card you can use let me know and I can send you the 5.1 software so you can update you nav.
What mapset do you have ? My quess 2005.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes you do. The latest software for your bike is 5.1 . If you want to up date your maps you will need to update that first.
My suggestion is to get a new Compact Flash card of atleast 4gb. That way you can update the firmware and mapset with out losing you oem maps. It is always best to leave the oem CF card alone so you have a fall back.
If you get or have a CF card you can use let me know and I can send you the 5.1 software so you can update you nav.
What mapset do you have ? My quess 2005.
I dont know what mapset I have AND thank you so much for your help! I am reading of some instability after updating, will that be a problem? I looks like all indications are pointing towards a standalone Garmin If I can find a decent mount that doesent block anything or take up my perch mounts where a Ihave a Ciro cell phone holder / charger and drink holder on the throttle side. I saw one someplace that mounts to the top of the dash just behind the windshield that I liked, just have to wait for the promised stimulus check!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by instability. I had the same nav that you have in my 2006 and went all over the US and Canada with it. Granted it doesn't have all the features that a good standalone does it is still a good nav. And unlike a standalone it is pretty hard to steal.
Now as far as the mapset if you looked at the system ifo screen you will see the map version.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
you know my brand new 2008 is a Nav model and after dinging around with it for a while I have the perfect solution. I pair my phone to my headset, setup the route on my phone and listen to the lady tell me I am lost. Perfect

1 - 20 of 24 Posts