Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found my 2012's NAVI to be severely limited in its capabilities, so I decided to add a tablet PC to my bike. This unit is running Microsoft Streets & Trips 2011 GPS software, as well as other programs, using an I7 processor with 4GB ram and a 128GB solid state hard drive. I am planning a 14,000 mile tour of the USA this summer. We will visit 39 states and Washington D.C. I'll be towing my Escapade trailer to carry the "stuff."

Along with the PC, the bike will have a live GPS tracking device.

GPS Tracking Device

Photos and videos will be uploaded to a website along the way. The bike will have a live webcam when a connection is available. :cool: The G5-PRO unit will track the vehicle and if you are really bored, you can follow along on the net.

Tracking Website

This is the Motion Computing J3500 Tablet PC, mounted using the RAM Mounts dock made for that computer. I just hooked up the power today and took it for a test run. It is really nice to have a screen that is four times the size of Honda's stock screen, and the capabilities of MS Streets & Trips is worlds ahead of anything Honda offers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I shot this photo tonight just to get an idea of the difference between the screens.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
That's high tech, Joe. With my POS factory 08 NAVI, I can only imagine what it must be like not having to ask Mz. Vickie to fire up her Blackberry and hit the GPS app.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the next thing I need to add ... a "Mz Vickie!" of my own! Talk about an expensive accessory!

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
You shouldn't have any trouble seeing that screen! What will you do if it you run into rain?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The J3500 is completely "rugged" meaning it can be taken through a torrential rainstorm without any worries about water. The screen is specifically made to be viewable in direct sunlight. I shopped long and hard for this thing. I WAS going to buy the GETAC V200 convertible, but the mount for it was too big and bulky for the bike's handlebar mount, so a salesman at Group Mobile discussed my requirements and suggested this J3500 Tablet. You won't find these computers at Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

It has GOBI wireless Internet capability, Bluetooth, built in GPS and more. The PC with the mount and the auto-air power converter and a VERY cool pop up keyboard ran just a tad over $4,000.00. :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sorry just looks a bit to much for me. I will stick to my NAVI unit on my 08 wing and my apps on my Android Smart phone. They get me to where I am going.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
That is the next thing I need to add ... a "Mz Vickie!" of my own! Talk about an expensive accessory!
You pay for what you get. I like your equipment: no discussion , no argument ; and it puts you in control of where the heck we are and where we want to go. When you get around the D.C. area give me a heads up.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I would be able to see that even without my glasses... Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When you get around the D.C. area give me a heads up.
I'm going to have a GPS tracking device on the bike that updates LIVE every ten seconds. You can put a geofence on a map, and when I enter the fence, you'll get an email that I am in the area! I'll post here when that is set up and working.

LINK to GPS Tracking Site

Play with the DEMO on this site. It is very cool!

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
We have been taken on trips from riders here using the " Spot Tracker ". This one adds a whole new dimension.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course, this is all experimental for me. I'm not sure ANY of it is going to work dependably. I could use some help setting up the website, if anyone here is a website GURU. I'm willing to pay for a good, funtional site that will allow me to accomplish my goals!

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Nice looking bit of kit that tablet. Not sure about a web guru though.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
My only real safety concern is this. Do you have enough space between the computer and handle bars to allow a full "lock to lock" turn? Looks tight to me. A lot of people think the GW Navi is lacking and in some respects it is, but I have found it more than adequate to tell me just where I am lost at. I also think that the safety function built into it whereas you cannot manipulate the functions when moving is a good thing. Since your bike goes where your eyes go, I don't want to be looking down to change scales, or make corrections.At my age, my reaction time is not what it used to be and I need all the help I can get. Don't' get me wrong, this is just my opinion and I have to admit that your set up is clever and looks very functional. It's just not my cup of tea but I admire your attempt at having a tank mounted device that does it all. Other than what I have stated above, and the price, it's a cool set-up. :)Isaac

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only real safety concern is this. Do you have enough space between the computer and handle bars to allow a full "lock to lock" turn? Looks tight to me.
The Tablet PC is mounted to the handlebars, not the tank. It swings with the rotation of the bars.

A lot of people think the GW Navi is lacking and in some respects it is, but I have found it more than adequate to tell me just where I am lost at.
I would like the NAVI more if there was a wired, or wireless full QWERTY keyboard connection to enter DATA. This hunt-n-peck entering of addresses is driving me crazy. There is more that it CANNOT do, than what it CAN do.

After you use something like Microsoft Streets & Trips, you'll understand how the NAVI leaves you wanting. This program, along with the screen that is more than four times that of the NAVI, gives me FAR more capabilities for navigation.

I also think that the safety function built into it whereas you cannot manipulate the functions when moving is a good thing.
I think it is silly. Why don't they install a device in a car that forces you to pull over when you are about to sneeze? You close your eyes when you sneeze, and that is involuntary. You cannot decide WHEN you will sneeze, even when you are driving through an intersection or approaching a line of school children crossing a road, but you CAN decide when you will, and when you WILL NOT glance at the PC screen. All of these attempts at regulating the attitude of the people NEVER works. Prohibition proved that. The "feel good" hands-free requirement of cell phones for drivers did not solve a problem. It only converted it into a texting-while-driving problem. Now they're talking about making cell phones inoperable while moving. GREAT PLAN! That will really help the teenage girl who is being stalked by a car full of horny gang bangers, or the battered wife who is fleeing from her drunken abusive husband. She will try to call 9-1-1 and the phone will say, please pull over and stop your car to make this call. Another STUPID "feel good" law created by the brain dead liberals.

Since your bike goes where your eyes go, I don't want to be looking down to change scales, or make corrections. At my age, my reaction time is not what it used to be and I need all the help I can get.
I will not be making any adjustments to the screen while I am riding. It is a visual reference only, just like the speedometer, the tachometer, the temperature gauge, the fuel gauge, the radio station, and the rear view mirrors, each of which takes your eyes off of the road momentarily.

Don't' get me wrong, this is just my opinion and I have to admit that your set up is clever and looks very functional. It's just not my cup of tea but I admire your attempt at having a tank mounted device that does it all. Other than what I have stated above, and the price, it's a cool set-up. :)Isaac
Already covered. NOT tank mounted.

The thing I like most is, when I want to use the map, I can pull over and grab a digitizer pen. Click here, drag the screen to the left or right to see what is ahead, do a radar search for a gas station or a place to eat, zoom in or out, etc. When I plot a route and it appears as a blue translucent line over the road I am traveling, I can grab that line at any point and drag it over to another road and the computer will instantly recalculate the route. If I am stuck in traffic, I can drag the path to a side road that looks good, and in a matter of less than two seconds,the computer has completely routed me around the obstruction. With the Internet connection, I can overlay traffic congestion patterns in red,yellow and green lines, and avoid traffic snarls. There is SO MUCH more that this program can do, that it makes the NAVI unit virtually meaningless.

The PC also lets me keep an EXCEL spreadsheet handy and open. Stop for gas, enter the DATA. Stop for lunch, enter the expenses. Riding and see something you want to check out later, a quick stop to put a pushpin on the map for later reference. Switch screens for live weather maps. Text messaging with a keyboard or by using voice recognition. The list goes on.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
In looking at the pictures, I guess I missed the fact that it was connected to the handle bars and not the tank or something else. Again, those ideas were just my opinion. I'm of the age when a paper map served its purpose and I still carry one today. And I have really never been lost somewhere....Rather I have found myself in a place that I had not planned to visit but exploration is the name of the game..right? And by the way...I looked at that site for the tracking and it says they can start your vehicle, stop your vehicle on command plus all sorts of other things. Sounds like "OnStar" to me and do you subscribe to all of that or is it broken into packages. As far as tracking is concerned I use SPOT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts