Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 Wing. The Comfort/Navi model. The Navigation Systems safety feature is driving me nuts. As soon as you put the bike in gear almost all of the Navigation features are disabled. You can't even turn the Navigation system on when your moving. Does anyone know how to disable this feature? I ended up mounting my Garmin Street Pilot 2720 from my 89 wing on my new 08 because the "Honda Navigation system" is unsable when the bike is moving.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe I would head back to the dealer as it is under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sorry but that is a safety feature, as you are most asuridly aware of, and its very doubtful that it can be disabled. I personally would not want it diabled on my wing, because of the location of the nav. It would be to much of a distraction to operate the navi where its located. However I can see you having success with the dash mounted navi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
3rdwing, I agree with you that the safety feature Honda implemented into the Navi system is a real pain. Looking for a way to disable it myself. Surely someone knows the way and can post here anonymously. It most likely is tied into the neutral indicator some how. As for it being unsafe, its no more unsafe than playing with the touch screen of a Zumo 550 (which i still have & am thinking of mounting). Or dialing a phone number on the touch screen of the Zumo. I'm somewhat tech savy and have had my 09 apart several times already "farkelizing." If anyone can help with disabling Honda's Navi safety feature please reply. If you dont want to on an open forum then email me at [email protected] Thanks Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Navi Safety is driving me nuts, too!

I found this posting --

http://calico.stufftoread.com/gpswires.html

Don't know which year his Wing is... I just got my Wing ( '09 ) and feel the same way about the 'safety' feature. In the meantime, I'm mounting my Zumo 550 (which is also an MP3 player!). I normally turn off the GPS when I'm comfortable with the next couple of turns or when I know that I'm going a lot of miles down the same road. The safety feature is a pain!

I'm waiting for my service manual so I can check out what this solution is.... if it looks logical from the wiring info, I want to do it.

Randy G.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Safety of NAVI

3rdwing, I agree with you that the safety feature Honda implemented into the Navi system is a real pain. Looking for a way to disable it myself. Surely someone knows the way and can post here anonymously. It most likely is tied into the neutral indicator some how. As for it being unsafe, its no more unsafe than playing with the touch screen of a Zumo 550 (which i still have & am thinking of mounting). Or dialing a phone number on the touch screen of the Zumo. I'm somewhat tech savy and have had my 09 apart several times already "farkelizing." If anyone can help with disabling Honda's Navi safety feature please reply. If you dont want to on an open forum then email me at [email protected] Thanks Brian
I believe your assessment of the Zumo is a good one. The real difference between the two systems is that of interface: Zumo = Touchscreen; Honda NAVI = Fairing Panel Buttons.

Although I believe Honda went a little extreme on blocking function while riding, I understand why: it's VERY DIFFICULT to fiddle with the NAVI controls while riding--you'd have to look down and away to use them. You'd have to be in cruise mode at least. Because of the location of the NAVI controls, I'd think twice about disabling the safety feature.

Now, if Honda would put a touchscreen in place of their current LCD and integrate the controls there, they could essentially have a Zumo. I believe Honda made a HUGE mistake not letting Garmin sub the total design of the Honda NAVI.

I've mounted my Zumo550 on my Wing and use it for my navigating, and I use the Honda NAVI for the "big picture." It's nice having both, but my NAVI just runs passively; I don't interact with it much except zooming in and out, which I can do from the left handle control.

JMHO

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this was the closest thread I could find in a search.

Looking at 08 and 10 wings. Re: the navi system, does anyone have on online link to manuals for these systems or online guides fo some sort so I can familiarize myself before buying?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well when I bought my Honda Accord, I didn't get the Nav system. Instead bought a Nuvi 750. On my Shadow Aero I installed my e-Trex hand held. Loved it. Able to plan a route on the pc, transfer to gps and go. The 750, not so friendly. Found some software to convert data from Streets and Trips to Garmin format, works pretty well. Just picked up my 08 GW/navi/ABS last week. While sitting in the garage with it I played with making a route......PAIN.... From reading all the posts, I am getting the idea that it is not a feature that does Honda much credit. Is there anyone that has anything nice to say about the Navi? Will see if I can at least find the file that contains the (one) route that it allows you to have, and maybe be able to create and store on the pc and then transfer to the cf when I want to ride. Any insight or ideas that others have tried I would be interested in. Other than that....I love the bike...the 12 miles I got to put on the day I rode it home. I loved my Aero....but a Lazyboy on wheels with surround sound (sort of)....now that's riding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 08 Wing. The Comfort/Navi model. The Navigation Systems safety feature is driving me nuts. As soon as you put the bike in gear almost all of the Navigation features are disabled. You can't even turn the Navigation system on when your moving. Does anyone know how to disable this feature? I ended up mounting my Garmin Street Pilot 2720 from my 89 wing on my new 08 because the "Honda Navigation system" is unsable when the bike is moving.
I dont know all the fine points of overriding the system but the guys at TOTALLY WINGS do--- I have seen three of the riders they have fixed their bikes so the system is functional while the bike is in motion. Something about over riding the bikes computer so the nav system does not know the bike is in gear the bikes computer sends the signal that the bike is in gear to the nav system but the nav system never gets the signal so it continues to work properly

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Can you give the complete address for Totally Wings? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Well, I guess and hope there is 2 sides to every pancake. I personally don't find the inability to fiddle with the Nav a problem while the bike is in motion. I hope I am never in such a hurry that I can't pull over to the side or into a parking lot to do the fiddling. Every distraction is one step closer to disaster and I sure don't want to end life pushing some button to find the nearest Mc Donalds. Just my 2 cents.:) Isaac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guess and hope there is 2 sides to every pancake. I personally don't find the inability to fiddle with the Nav a problem while the bike is in motion. I hope I am never in such a hurry that I can't pull over to the side or into a parking lot to do the fiddling. Every distraction is one step closer to disaster and I sure don't want to end life pushing some button to find the nearest Mc Donalds. Just my 2 cents.:) Isaac
Well Isaac I am sure that everyone has views on this subject, but my biggest gripe was that you can't even turn the nav on while moving. Any other GPS will automaticaly come on when you start the bike up. The Honda Goldwing Navigation system requires that you push buttons to start the navigation system up even if you just had it on. Once you shut the bike off you have to wait for the right screen to come up after you start the bike then push a button to start the GPS. If you forget, or don't have time to wait for the screen before you start moving you are screwed. You have to bring the bike to a complete stop again just to start the GPS. This is very irritating and quite stupid. If the saftey features want to lock you out of playing with the system while your moving thats one thing, but not comming on automatically after a stop and requiring a complete stop with a button push to restart is not a safety feature it is an annoyance.

All in all the point in now moot as the 2008 and below are no longer updated and the latest maps are from 2008. Paying 20 large for a top of the line tourer and finding out it comes with a navigation system that cannot be updated is another annoyance at best.

So if you want an a GPS you can keep up to date you are forced to get an aftermarket unit and the Honda Goldwing Navigation System on 2008 and older Goldwings becomes rather useless.

As of late about 50 % of the hiways have been redone around here and most have sections that are not anywhere near the old hiways. Seems like every time I turn on the Honda Goldwing Navigation system it says I am driving in the middle of a field. Pity that a GPS with a nice large screen becomes basically useless.

Ken

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Well Isaac I am sure that everyone has views on this subject, but my biggest gripe was that you can't even turn the nav on while moving. Any other GPS will automaticaly come on when you start the bike up. The Honda Goldwing Navigation system requires that you push buttons to start the navigation system up even if you just had it on. Once you shut the bike off you have to wait for the right screen to come up after you start the bike then push a button to start the GPS. If you forget, or don't have time to wait for the screen before you start moving you are screwed. You have to bring the bike to a complete stop again just to start the GPS. This is very irritating and quite stupid. If the saftey features want to lock you out of playing with the system while your moving thats one thing, but not comming on automatically after a stop and requiring a complete stop with a button push to restart is not a safety feature it is an annoyance.

All in all the point in now moot as the 2008 and below are no longer updated and the latest maps are from 2008. Paying 20 large for a top of the line tourer and finding out it comes with a navigation system that cannot be updated is another annoyance at best.

So if you want an a GPS you can keep up to date you are forced to get an aftermarket unit and the Honda Goldwing Navigation System on 2008 and older Goldwings becomes rather useless.

As of late about 50 % of the hiways have been redone around here and most have sections that are not anywhere near the old hiways. Seems like every time I turn on the Honda Goldwing Navigation system it says I am driving in the middle of a field. Pity that a GPS with a nice large screen becomes basically useless.

Ken
Hi Ken.
Well, I agree that its an annoyance and since my 07 has Nav, I agree also that this Nav system has a lot of faults. I also agree that a bike that costs this much should have a much better system. It seems that I drive on a lot of "Unverified Roads" myself. The placement of the controls, the lack of features simply makes this a system that is fun to brag about to others but is really not that useful. And if it could be defeated, the ability to push the buttons on the fly would make it inherently dangerous because of that placement of the controls. So, I guess my point is that there is nothing we can do except live with it. Honda and Garmin won't retrofit our bikes and therefore I simply refuse to worry about it. Agreed that it was a big selling point but its only one item on an otherwise outstanding machine. I have decided to wait till someone develops a perfect bike before purchasing a new one and of course I think I will be pushing up daisies a long time before that happens. If you guys want to defeat the "safety feature" on these things then have at it. I just hope if I meet you on a narrow 2 lane road, you aren't trying to put in a waypoint right then. Its your life, just don't include me in its ending. Maybe there are more than 2 sides to a pancake. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isaac, you are right about the placement of the buttons making it unsafe to use while moving and since I started this thread in Oct. of 2008 I have long since stopped using the Navigation system. With the exception of a couple things the GL1800 is a very good tourer and thats why I bought my 2008, my third goldwing to date as my username "3rdwing" implies.

There are many good things to brag about on this machine but like every other bike on the market it has faults. I still liked it enough to by a new one in 2008. As for the Navigation system, I have long since given up that battle. Now I just use my nuvi 765T.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Isaac, you are right about the placement of the buttons making it unsafe to use while moving and since I started this thread in Oct. of 2008 I have long since stopped using the Navigation system. With the exception of a couple things the GL1800 is a very good tourer and thats why I bought my 2008, my third goldwing to date as my username "3rdwing" implies.

There are many good things to brag about on this machine but like every other bike on the market it has faults. I still liked it enough to by a new one in 2008. As for the Navigation system, I have long since given up that battle. Now I just use my nuvi 765T.
Hi Ken
Well I agree with you in almost every respect. When I bought my 07, I was elated to have Nav but it didn't take long to realize that there was something dreadfully wrong. I still use mine but if I am going somewhere that really needs scrutiny, I load the ole Nuvi 760 on the ram mount and go. It is a shame that Honda and Garmin didn't do this better but it seems to be in keeping with Garmin in general. I just bought my girlfriend a Nuvi 1450 LMT and it is 100% better than the 760 but it is lacking too. We had a man killed last week out here by a kid texting while driving. The man was on a bike and had no chance. So, I guess I may over react about some things and diddling with the Nav is one of them. I want us all to die a natural death and not from taking our eyes and minds off what we are doing at the moment. So, I do agree that the Nav on the GW is a piece of crap, but I do love what its wrapped in. I did try to navigate to a specific location in Dallas several months ago and I darn near ended up in Louisiana. Its fine for Austin, to Dallas, to Amarillo but I have seen a lot of country side inbetween that I never ever expected to see. Maybe if it breaks under extended warranty they will stick a new one in. Reckon?....but then its probably not covered. We can't win. Have a safe ride and maybe one of these days we will pass each other. :) Isaac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Ken
Well I agree with you in almost every respect. When I bought my 07, I was elated to have Nav but it didn't take long to realize that there was something dreadfully wrong. I still use mine but if I am going somewhere that really needs scrutiny, I load the ole Nuvi 760 on the ram mount and go. It is a shame that Honda and Garmin didn't do this better but it seems to be in keeping with Garmin in general. I just bought my girlfriend a Nuvi 1450 LMT and it is 100% better than the 760 but it is lacking too. We had a man killed last week out here by a kid texting while driving. The man was on a bike and had no chance. So, I guess I may over react about some things and diddling with the Nav is one of them. I want us all to die a natural death and not from taking our eyes and minds off what we are doing at the moment. So, I do agree that the Nav on the GW is a piece of crap, but I do love what its wrapped in. I did try to navigate to a specific location in Dallas several months ago and I darn near ended up in Louisiana. Its fine for Austin, to Dallas, to Amarillo but I have seen a lot of country side inbetween that I never ever expected to see. Maybe if it breaks under extended warranty they will stick a new one in. Reckon?....but then its probably not covered. We can't win. Have a safe ride and maybe one of these days we will pass each other. :) Isaac
Texting and driving.... just had a law passed recently here making that activity illegal. It is unfortunate that these senseless accidents have to happen. One of the reasons I chose the nuvi 765T - it has an audio out jack. I have it integrated into the wings audio system so I never have to take my eyes off the road. I had a StreetPilot 2820 before and simply modified the harness for the nuvi. Personally I wont answer my cell phone while I'm driving in my car, and never even thought about trying to text while driving, that's just crazy.

On the bike the phone rings in my headset, If I have it turned on. If I think it's important I pull over and answer, if not it isn't turned on. But then my passenger/better half can also answer the phone, and that is usually the case on the bike. Now if there was a way to give control of the GPS, radio, etc. to the passenger so I didn't have to worry about that stuf, then I'd have something. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts