Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope no one else has this happen and it's not a huge deal but today on my 2012 the nav screen wouldn't switch from the globe picture to the hello screen to the regular screen. Called the dealer, he said to re-seat the memory cards. Did that, had no effect, checked the manual, no info there. Started playing with the disp, info and menu buttons to no avail. Just on a hunch, turned on the ignition, held the info button down for about 15 seconds and the nav rebooted and now all is well. Used it two times since, all is well. If this happens again, maybe it'll go back to the dealer, I've heard stories of the 2012 nav re-booting on it's own and having to stop and re-set.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That's news to me again, but I have had no 2012 models to experiment on and find out. My enquiry to my pal at Honda hasn't returned any info either. Sorry.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it's like the new cars on the road today with all the electronic crap that talks to you, more stuff that can break. I think we were better off when everything was simpler.

I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the $95 bucks to do the update on my 2010 wing GPS. I'm waiting to see if anyone else does it and posts positive results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2010 System has been doing something similiar

My System has recently been re-booting all by itself as I am driving, several times a day. How did you go about re-setting it.

Where are the memory cards located.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My GPS has not given me trouble however the XM has and it is tied to the gps I think.I had to make 3 or 4 calls to XM for re boot so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i know this is a old post. my screen is frozen. just the start up screen. held the info button down for 15 seconds. nothing. help thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Memory cards are under the plastic cover on the Nav unit itself. They're just little SD cards. About a month after my initial post, the nav screen locked up for three days and no amount of fiddling could get it to work. Then one morning, started the bike and the Nav worked properly and has ever since. I did call my dealer and they noted it in my service records that I was having GPS issues. From what I understand is that you take the bike to the dealer, they remove and send out the Nav unit to get the firmware updated (?) and they replace the unit back in your bike when they get the Nav back. You can still drive your bike but there's nothing on the Nav display, not sure if the radio still works. As I said, mine is working fine (for now) but I will get it corrected when I get the appropriate time. You may want to try toggling the key on and off a few times, that did seem to help me one time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine has never locked up but it did occasionally go blank on startup..I read in the manual that if you are on the Nav screen when you shut down the Nav boots up first and if you are on the radio display-odometer screen it boots up first. I've started switching to the radio screen before before shutting down and since doing this it hasn't gone blank again.

I was also letting the display completely boot up before starting the bike,but the minute you hit the starter it shuts off the display and it boots all over again and this was when it was going blank, so now I start the bike as soon as I turn on the key.

This has worked for me so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nav screen frozen

brand new 2012, riden twice, and this morning the nav screen is stuck on globe screen. radio also not working correctly. your info button suggestion didn't work. called dealer and their only answer was "bring it in" which would be great but we are currently about 200 miles away. Anyone have any other ideas on how to reboot Nav?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
brand new 2012, riden twice, and this morning the nav screen is stuck on globe screen. radio also not working correctly. your info button suggestion didn't work. called dealer and their only answer was "bring it in" which would be great but we are currently about 200 miles away. Anyone have any other ideas on how to reboot Nav?? Thanks
Disconnect the battery for a few moments.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Hit it with a brick. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up having to bring the bike in. The fix wasn't all that bad, the tech explained to me that he had to take the nav unit out of the bike, hook it up to a PC with the upgrade in it and replace it back into the bike. Dropped the bike off at 8 a.m. and picked it up at noontime. This was 3 months ago and the unit has worked perfectly since. I've even used the Trip Planner several times with no issues (other than learning how to use it LOL).

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Your right on the mark Elwood. I recieved a bulletin a few months ago and forgot to post it on the forum...my bad. Not a long or difficult procedure, but needs to be done at a dealer. You could likely do it yourself if you could access the bulletin info though. I can't post that info on the open forums but there are (PM) ways;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I've been having problems with my 2012 nav system freezing on the boot screen (it wouldn't go to the goldwing splash screen). Took it to the dealer, and he reset the system with the reset button, but it didn't help anything. I got to fooling around with it, and pulled the SD card (behind the rubber cover) out, then turned the bike on. Got a screen saying to insert the SD card, which I did (with the bike still on!), and it booted completely. Haven't had any problems with it so far. Maybe this info will help someone... but if you try this, you do it at their own risk.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this thread is old, but I've been having problems with my 2012 nav system freezing on the boot screen (it wouldn't go to the goldwing splash screen). Took it to the dealer, and he reset the system with the reset button, but it didn't help anything. I got to fooling around with it, and pulled the SD card (behind the rubber cover) out, then turned the bike on. Got a screen saying to insert the SD card, which I did (with the bike still on!), and it booted completely. Haven't had any problems with it so far. Maybe this info will help someone... but if you try this, you do it at their own risk.
I would find a dealer that has the update in place in one of their PC's
Only takes an hour or so for the fix and at the present time my nav has been working flawlessly since I had the update done last year
(knock on wood)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would find a dealer that has the update in place in one of their PC's
Only takes an hour or so for the fix and at the present time my nav has been working flawlessly since I had the update done last year
(knock on wood)
Well, I left a lot out of my first post. I had the same problem last year, shortly after buying the bike. I took it in, and they applied the update, and it seemed to fix the problem... for a while. Then it started happening again, but only once in a while, and it seemed to be tied to the outside air temerature - it would occasionally (fairly rarely - just enough to be a minor annoyance) freeze when it was cooler, but it would work fine once it warmed up. Then this summer, is when if locked up tight, and I tried the SD card removal, which has seemingly fixed it.

Honestly, what I suspect to be the problem is a faulty SC card connection, and when the update is applied to the unit, the SD card gets reset, thus fixing the issue, and making peopple think the update has fixed it.

Just my two cents worth, but should your unit freeze again, you might try removing and reinstalling the SD card behind the rubber cap, and see if that fixes it. Again, I did it with my bike turned on, and that worked for me, but I still won't take responsibility if it fries your unit. :)

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
remove the plastic dash , you should see a conector under it, unplug it then replug it , that's what my dealer did when mine was acting up. my unit is a 2010

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
I have not had the lock up problem but I'm starting to get little lines here and there on my 06 screen any ideas on this 1. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts