Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... how many of you have just plugged a Gold Wing tire ?

I know it's best to remove and patch, but I just had to ask.

It is on the back , nail the size of a finishing nail, still in there.

Would it be ok to plug this tire, tire is maybe 50 - 60 plus %.
Dunlop E Series. It is inside the "groove" >>>>

What is your idea on this ?

Thanks,
jamie

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
.... how many of you have just plugged a Gold Wing tire ?

I know it's best to remove and patch, but I just had to ask.

It is on the back , nail the size of a finishing nail, still in there.

Would it be ok to plug this tire, tire is maybe 50 - 60 plus %.
Dunlop E Series. It is inside the "groove" >>>>

What is your idea on this ?

Thanks,
jamie
Ok I will bite. Subject has been beat to death. Most say "buy a new tire." I agree PLUS now is your chance to buy a CT! Ride safe and sorry if I dont wave. I just couldnt or didnt see ya! :D

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I would plug it if it were mine. I keep a plug kit on my wing. I would keep an eye on it and get a new tire when I could. Oh BTW it would be a CT also....

·
Registered
674 Posts
Your wallet will decide what to do. if it was my bike and I could afford it I would buy a new tire if anyone was to ride with me. but if it is just me on the bike a plug would be fine until I could afford a replacement. I have never seen a properly installed tire plug cause a tire failure and your nail sounds like the perfect candidate for a plug. but a patch from the inside would be so much more fun to do.:D
I guess you could air it back up and burn the rubber off of it, this way you wouldnt feel bad about wasting anything.:cool:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Leave nail in - install http://www.ride-on.com/ - ride to properly distribute the RideOn - pull the nail - recheck tire pressure - "Ride On"!
No need for tire plugs with this product! If the puncture is to big for RideOn to work, then the tire probably needs replaced anyway!
DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IN A WING THAT IS EQUIPPED WITH OEM TPMS! THE OEM TPMS PICKUP UNITS ARE NOT SEALED AS MOST ARE!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leave nail in - install http://www.ride-on.com/ - ride to properly distribute the RideOn - pull the nail - recheck tire pressure - "Ride On"!
No need for tire plugs with this product! If the puncture is to big for RideOn to work, then the tire probably needs replaced anyway!
DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IN A WING THAT IS EQUIPPED WITH OEM TPMS! THE OEM TPMS PICKUP UNITS ARE NOT SEALED AS MOST ARE!
I am running balancing beads inside this tire, they would clog up ///
This will not work ....

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Plug the tire & keep an eye on the pressure...you'll be fine. I plugged a rear tire with 2,000 miles on it & rode it till it was worn out @9,600 miles....

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
I plugged the rear tire on my 2012 last year with 1000 miles on it. I now have 13000 on it with no problems.

By the way, how do you like the balancing beads?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I plugged the rear tire on my 2012 last year with 1000 miles on it. I now have 13000 on it with no problems.

By the way, how do you like the balancing beads?
It's plugged. Very small nail removed. Doesn't really matter. We know
the hole cleanout tool and the installing tool is big as ever.
Anyway, plug installed, no leaks at 45 lbs. Let pressure down
to 40-41. When I get back in a few hours. Going to test-fire
my pluggin'....

BALANCING BEADS !!!!
LOVE THEM... They are special. That smooth things out like
glass. Got them on the Goldwing, and the Honda VTX.
They do work.

I Appreciate All for your replies. They were very helpful ...

........ jamie

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Last year I replaced my rear tire with a Bridgestone 704. 30 miles later pulling out of the gate, it went flat. Found a sheet metal screw in the tire about 1 inch off center. I used the "string" repair made for radial tires. Drove off and forgot about it. I rode that tire 2 up, from Texas to Colorado and back several times and through temps ranging from -2 to 110 +. Friday after 11,200 miles I had the tire replaced. Got the shop to let me look at the tire after it was taken off. The string inside the tire looked like the day I shoved it in except for a little discoloration due to the beads in the tire. The outside still had a small nub outside the tread, what was left of that. So, my conclusion is that if properly done, a string repair is both permanent and cost effective. I can't afford $250 unless I really have to. Oh, I know some will say that I took a big chance plugging the tire but no matter how thin the pancake, there is still two sides. If you can afford a new tire then go for it but some of us have to scratch for those dollars and a tire repair has to be a judgement call and it all depends on how bad is the puncture and where it is on the tire. A sidewall puncture, never. A main stream close to center of the tire puncture and not a large one, fine. This is my view of the subject and I am positive you will hear others agree and disagree and I would never presume to tell you what to do with your property. Just an observation first hand.

By the way, this is the method I used.

1. Make sure the tire still has air in it prior to repair.
2. Have the reamer and strings ready.
3. Put plelnty of rubber cement on the reamer. I mean a lot in an effort to get some on the inside of the tire.
4. After pulling the nail, immediately ream the hole several times and leave the reamer in the hole.
5. Have the string ready and slather on a ton of rubber cement.
6. Remove the reamer and immediately insert the string.
7. Twist the string holder about 90 degrees and remove it leaving the string.
8. Wait a couple of minutes and add air back to the pressure you run that tire on.
9. Use a razor blade or sharp knife and trim off the excess string on the outside.
10. Make sure you use a string that is made for the type tire you have. Radial vs. Non Radial. (Should have been #1 on the list)
11. Check for leak and you are back on the road.
12. Total time from discovery to repair is about 15 minutes
:)Isaac

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used the "string" repair made for radial tires. :)
Isaac
Isaac,
I appreciate your statement and respect it very much.
EVERYTHING you said, That is EXACTLY what I did. I feel
comfortable. Went and put 20 miles on the wing. Came
back to home, checked tire pressure. Just like it was when
I left. 41-42 lbs.

Used the red radial string type purchased from local John Deere
dealership. I have used the same "red string" type on my Kubota RTV utility vehicle with the ITP 589 tires, and the Honda Rubicon, used in the swamps down here in Louisiana. The red string plug material has not let me down in the harsh swamps down here, so it should be fine on the Goldwing. Thanks for your reply, I feel more comfort now using it on a two wheel road vehicle.

Had a very bad motorcycle crash back in September of 2011, like
to have put me in my grave. God saved me, no doubt. With that being said, I am so selective of what I do on the Goldwing, VTX, or anything else that your life is on the line with.
thanks,
jamie ( two guns )

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Isaac,
I appreciate your statement and respect it very much.
EVERYTHING you said, That is EXACTLY what I did. I feel
comfortable. Went and put 20 miles on the wing. Came
back to home, checked tire pressure. Just like it was when
I left. 41-42 lbs.

Used the red radial string type purchased from local John Deere
dealership. I have used the same "red string" type on my Kubota RTV utility vehicle with the ITP 589 tires, and the Honda Rubicon, used in the swamps down here in Louisiana. The red string plug material has not let me down in the harsh swamps down here, so it should be fine on the Goldwing. Thanks for your reply, I feel more comfort now using it on a two wheel road vehicle.

Had a very bad motorcycle crash back in September of 2011, like
to have put me in my grave. God saved me, no doubt. With that being said, I am so selective of what I do on the Goldwing, VTX, or anything else that your life is on the line with.
thanks,
jamie ( two guns )
I lived in Lake Charles (Moss Bluff) for 13 years so I know what you mean about swamps and skeeters and love bugs. As far as the repair is concerned, I am not an aggressive rider and not a peg dragger. I do crank it up when on the straight and wide but I am conservative compared to a lot of folks. Tires and repairs are like opinions and everybody has a different one. I am going to go Darkside when I can afford it and try that out. I had to string repair my tire when it happened cause I just couldn't afford to buy another tire within 24 hours. Now if you can remove your tire and take it to someone, I would suggest Cycle Gear. You can purchase a tire from them and have them mount it and at the same time, spend about $30 and get a "Road Hazard Guarantee". My son had one done there and put it on his bike and 1 day later hit a piece of glass on the free way and they replaced it free of charge. Good insurance but I can't find anyone else that will give a Road Hazard Guarantee. Anyway, ride safe and keep it in the back of your mind that you are riding on a tire with a plug (string) in it. And yes, the red ones are really good. Later...Isaac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.