Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home from short local ride the other day, nice ride, no problems.
The next day was nice, a Sunday. Was doing my pre-ride check, our 05 wing didn't feel right to move around. Oh, "great", a flat tire. Found a finishing nail in the tread. Thought about a puncture repair kit, bought one, but decided to wait and talk to my repair shop. No they don't repair flat motorcycle tires! Must buy new.
My question for the forum is, has anyone used plug kits while on the road and away from repair shops?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Opinions differ on the use of plugs. I carry a kit with me and if I was stuck I would use it to get me to a repair shop. I would then see if it could be patched inside. I've run patched tires on my cage, but I'm not so sure about being on 2 wheels and 1 being patched. Guess I'll have to make that decision when/if the time comes. The mileage on the tire will also play a part in my decision.

Good luck and ride safe...

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I used one and rode approx. 530 miles from Sun Valley to my home. Didn't have any problems but got the tire replaced soon after. That was the only fix available at the time. I am a firm believer in good tires having blown a rear back in '78 at 60+ mph on my Honda 750. Tube tires were the thing back then. I had patched the tube early in the morning at a motel in Crescent City, Ca. then went right to a Honda store and bought a new tube but didn't want to take the time for them to install it for me. Wrong decision. When it got hot in the afternoon the patch let go. Lots of road rash.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also carry a plug kit just in case. I would plug it and keep an eye on tire pressure. If it doesn't leak you should be good. If its in the center of the tread it shouldn't affect the handling in the turns. I also bought a new tire and rim from a trike conversion. So I have a spare.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Repair shops don't do it mostly because of the liability in case it doesn't hold. I wouldn't risk it on a motorcycle tire other than a temp fix. Personally, I'd replace the tire as soon as possible.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just my opinion, but having a plug gun on the road is a good thing. It hopefully will get you where you want to go to get a real fix. I am not a fan of patching a tire. Most car tires can only be patched if the hole is in the flat part of the tread area. If the hole is on the sidewall or at the edge of the tread most tire shops won't touch them. There is too much flex in this area. Due to the nature of the beast, there is flex in most of the area of a m/c tire. More flex, greater chance the patch will fail. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple of days ago I was getting ready for a ride and the TPS came on, checked the tire it was at about 34 lbs, filled to 41 and it seemed to hold. My brother had me check the tire any.way, found what appeared to be a small piece of bone?? Pulled from tire and it must have barely broke through. As we have been doing a lot of miles I had it changed out. The tire had about 3400 miles on it, but when I am riding with the wife on the back, I won't take the chance on a plug.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just my opinion but from expierence over 50 years on 2 wheels. Replace the tire! I have seen many plugs come out and the bloody aftermath.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
There's lots of new construction in my area, and unfortunately I've picked up nails on 3 different occasions. I replace 'em.

·
Registered
904 Posts
We at The House of Horsepower repair the police car tires with a state mandated patch-plug. This is an inside patch that also has a stem that goes from the inside out thru the hole. If it works on police cars I would not be afraid to use it on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nail in Tire

I carry a plug kit with me at all times. Would plug a tire if only temporary to get some place for repair. A plugpatch from the inside is the only thing I would trust for a decent repair.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Pluging a tire is a temp fix until you can get to a shop for a new tire.It's cheaper to replace a tire than parts on your bike or a med. bill.

·
Registered
455 Posts
We at The House of Horsepower repair the police car tires with a state mandated patch-plug. This is an inside patch that also has a stem that goes from the inside out thru the hole. If it works on police cars I would not be afraid to use it on my motorcycle.
Agree if my bikes had 4 wheels ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts