Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 1990 SE for 2 months now and sometimes when I stop and shift to neutral it wont go in. If I fiddle with it it will go in but most the time I have to turn off the bike and then turn it back to on and then it will go in. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
My 93 isn't always a sure thing either. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it not to skip from 2nd right to 1st or the other way around but I can always find it. Not sure you really have a problem.
Have to see if some of the other are having an issue.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
I do have have an after market gear indicator, that really is a help.
Some times it takes just a nudge up or down, that's a pretty narrow window between 1st. and 2nd.

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
My 95 did the same thing occasionally, so does my Nighthawk. Just always chalked it up to something to have to do. They don't do it a lot and sometimes instead of pushing the shift lever with my foot a little tap with the toe seems to suffice.

·
Registered
674 Posts
your bike is a 1990 it should be checked out down to the last bolt to ensure that everything is there and working properly. I had a similar problem on a older Venture royal, it turned out to be locked up ball joints in the shifting mechanism.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today we went out for a 4 hour ride and not a bit of problems?? But today was 90 plus degrees. Yesterday was 50 in the morning and 80's in the afternoon. If you all are having some problems I guess I won't worry but I will read the manual to see if I need to work on something. Thanks for the help- Doug.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
As usual, knelson1969 makes a good point. Mine is an '85 Aspy and I went from stem to stern making sure everything was there, in the right place, and as tight as it was supposed to be.

And, my Wing has the same pecadillo, as has almost every bike I've ever owned, and because none were new, sat for long periods, etc. The technical term is "Goo" :) and the problems it creates are many.

So, how to clean your crankcase and transmission parts to remove Goo? 1/2 can of Seafoam (or whatever) added to your oil 100-200 miles before your next oil change (drain 8 oz. of oil before adding it so you don't overfill) and come back with a very good quality synthetic oil (I currently use Rotella T6).

If the problem isn't cured by internal cleaning and good lubrication, then it's due to WEAR and wear is an expensive issue to deal with. Personally, I like working on Tatanka, but I'm way more interested in riding than pulling his engine to achieve a nifty shift to Neutral. Besides, in my case this issue is more related to the size of my feet, especially with boots on, than it is the bike's wear!:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Was more problematic on my 85 than my 95. I assume you have the green neutral light Doug. If I do have a problem finding it which is seldom I let the clutch out slightly and let the engine pull the bike slightly forward, pull back in the clutch and move my toe up or down to find the neutral sweet spot. This works every time for me when I can't find neutral.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple of thinks about this bike first it was owned by the police chief of a local police department and was very, very well maintained but to be sure I took out the repair manual and went over everything external today all good! Next I will change the oil which is already synthetic so only some Sea foam and we will see that happens then. I'm inclined not to worry to much since others have had this problem even my friend with a 2006

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple of thinks about this bike first it was owned by the police chief of a local police department and was very, very well maintained but to be sure I took out the repair manual and went over everything external today all good! Next I will change the oil which is already synthetic so only some Sea foam and we will see that happens then. I'm inclined not to worry to much since others have had this problem even my friend with a 2006
OK I though I had gone through everything but after a call with Dr Buzzard I heard some things I hadn't checked. He asked does it go into gear hard? with a clunk? Yest it does so I took off the cover for the clutch to find it almost empty with very little brown fluid in it and lots of junk in it. So I changed it all out and it runs great now. The gears are quiet and the clutch works much better now. Thanks Dr B! on Thursday I'm taking it in to get the works done on it. Hopefully it will be up to snuff for the rest of the summer.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
To bad you don't live closer, bleeding and flushing the brakes and clutch are something I enjoy doing.:eek::rolleyes:
Really I do.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
well i talked to doug today and solved the neutral problem. i had him check the fluid, the fluid was low and dirty so i had him flush it andall is working well now

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i talked to doug today and solved the neutral problem. i had him check the fluid, the fluid was low and dirty so i had him flush it andall is working well now
Yes and a big thanks to you Dr B. While I was at it today i changed all the break fluid to it was also dirty. It works much better. On on Thursday I'm getting a new air cleaner and the final drive oil changed out. Anything else I'm missing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.