Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea what this part is? I dropped my wing today on on its left side on my driveway. After tipping it back up, this part was laying on the driveway. I have no idea where it might have come from. Thanks in advance!
5FF78A69-6A5B-4FF1-8977-84AEBF2E44C9.jpeg
B6171692-5E22-45B0-9900-222D0F73134F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
It is the mounting spacers for the seat. Look at the seat pan where the bolt go thru.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Jinx!
Where do I look for where the bolt goes through? Do I need to remove the seat?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
the only bolts are through the passenger grab handles on either side.......
see if one of the bolts is missing

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Your passenger hand rails have two bolts going thru them and into the frame.The spacers go between the hand rails and the frame. Are the hand rails off the bike ? The easiest way is to remove the seat and look at the pan. You will see the holes that the seat bolt go thru. Those hols are where the spacers go. One in each hole. When you put the seat back on spacers tend to fall out when you put the seat back on.

Reactions: Maui

·
Registered
247 Posts
Put another way, the spacers are "press fit" into the bottom of the seat, then you flip the seat upside down and place it on the bike, hoping that they stay in place. (With age and compression, they often fall out.) You then pass the seat bolts through the grab handles and then through the (hopefully still aligned and in place) spacers, and into the frame. One of yours appears to have fallen out during the seat installation, or worse, you may have lost a grab handle bolt, which would be immediately obvious if one of your grab handles is floppy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips folks! I’m not at home right now but will check for missing bolts when I get home later.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the water pump impeller for your Volvo 5.7l engine! 😁

I'm sorry I just couldn't resist. I've been locked up on this house too long. This is longer than any missile submarine patrol that I've ever been on and I've been on 4.
LOL! It was such a mystery part but I’m sure it only belongs to the GL1800! But how did you know I have a Volvo with the 5.7l engine?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put another way, the spacers are "press fit" into the bottom of the seat, then you flip the seat upside down and place it on the bike, hoping that they stay in place. (With age and compression, they often fall out.) You then pass the seat bolts through the grab handles and then through the (hopefully still aligned and in place) spacers, and into the frame. One of yours appears to have fallen out during the seat installation, or worse, you may have lost a grab handle bolt, which would be immediately obvious if one of your grab handles is floppy.
After I had dropped the bike, and I picked it up easily I might add, I went for a short ride. When I came back, I saw the mystery part there on the driveway. I parked the bike and put it up on the centre stand using the passenger grab bar on the left side. It wasn’t loose. So I’m thinking this part may have been rattling around inside for a while and just fell out at the opportunity. Like I said, I’ll have a closer look when I get home later today. And I appreciate all the great advice from everyone! This GWOF family is awesome!

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
After I had dropped the bike, and I picked it up easily I might add, I went for a short ride. When I came back, I saw the mystery part there on the driveway. I parked the bike and put it up on the centre stand using the passenger grab bar on the left side. It wasn’t loose. So I’m thinking this part may have been rattling around inside for a while and just fell out at the opportunity. Like I said, I’ll have a closer look when I get home later today. And I appreciate all the great advice from everyone! This GWOF family is awesome!
Don't forget to get your IDMWT number. (I Dropped My Wing Today). I'm #83 (y)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I will bring the post for obtaining you number for you

Reactions: Maui and Luv2fish

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will bring the post for obtaining you number for you
Oh man, I was hoping for something more spectacular for my first drop! My dropped ST story was way better than this one. And as far as I know, no one even saw this drop. Not like the ST drop where about 100 people at the Going to the Sun road viewpoint saw and heard the big crash! Oh man....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
my first drop was in a parking lot at the local University(my old 1500), my 2nd and 3rd were in my driveway(exact same spot)(my wife watched the 2nd one happen)

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Glad you got it ID'd. My first drop was at a roadside turnout the first time we rode with Budoka and his wife. Glad he was there to help right it, but a little embarassing just the same.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I don't want to hijack the intent of this discussion so if I'm out of line let me know.

I don't have the leg power to put my butt in the top of the seat and push the bike upright. I get it about 1/2 way then my legs give out. I purchased a jack that uses a strap and a nice hook that's covered in a real thick coating. I put the hook to the rear crash bar then jacked the bike up. Easy as all out and for me well worth the money that I paid.

I was on a back road along a real nice fishing river, out of cell phone range and just about zero traffic. As I was riding I came up on snow on the road. My Wing can't handle a gravel road and I was not about ready to try snow where I was at. Trying to make a U-turn on this really narrow road I touched the front brake and down I went. After a few hours a guy came by and helped me lift the bike. Right after this is when I purchased the jack and for me, one of the most important items that I purchased for my Wing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I checked the bike when I got home. The passenger handles are all good and tight and the seat is the same. Nothing seems out of place so I guess that this mystery part (seat spacer) must have come loose with some previous owner and was rattling around inside, waiting for the right opportunity to fall out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't want to hijack the intent of this discussion so if I'm out of line let me know.

I don't have the leg power to put my butt in the top of the seat and push the bike upright. I get it about 1/2 way then my legs give out. I purchased a jack that uses a strap and a nice hook that's covered in a real thick coating. I put the hook to the rear crash bar then jacked the bike up. Easy as all out and for me well worth the money that I paid.

I was on a back road along a real nice fishing river, out of cell phone range and just about zero traffic. As I was riding I came up on snow on the road. My Wing can't handle a gravel road and I was not about ready to try snow where I was at. Trying to make a U-turn on this really narrow road I touched the front brake and down I went. After a few hours a guy came by and helped me lift the bike. Right after this is when I purchased the jack and for me, one of the most important items that I purchased for my Wing.
I’ve seen that jack advertised and actually thought about either buying one or making one. The principle of operation is great and the tool is very practical. Great to hear it works well for you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts