Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed the oil and the final drive gear lube using royal purple products. I wanted to know if anyone has noticed a difference using synthetic oil-lube in their bikes. Has your MPG gone up at all, how about any noticeable improvements in acceleration or seat of the pants power? in the few miles I drove my bike I cannot say for sure but the bike seems to be quieter on start up and it just feels a little better than before. I was going to use Amsoil products but out of all the vendors in my area no one stocks their products. so for that reason
I went with Royal Purple.
any thoughts? dyno pulls before and after Synthetic on a wing?
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,175 Posts
I use Full Synthetic Mobile One Motorcycle Racing Oil....and ride slow enough to read the mailboxes. I did notice that it shifted nicer and after 9,000 miles, the oil is a little more golden than it was going in.... but I haven't used any yet.

For a winter project, I am going to replace the oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
I was using Rotella T6 5w-40w Full Synthetic for the last few oil changes and was comfortable with it. Recently I changed it out with Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 20w-50w ( non-synthetic, I presume ). Shifting was noticeably smoother between the gears even after a long warm run. In addition , my bikes engine had a low and continuous growl sound while idling and warming up. The opinions of many veteran riders assured me that it was not detrimental, but the nature of the beast. Haven't heard the growl since the oil change. Maybe I just needed an oil change. I'm a fan of synthetic without being able to give any technical reason why.

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
sorry knelson but oil will not improve performance, the enginge will still produce the same hp

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok please explain the many dyno results that offer real world hp and torque increases with the use of synthetic lubricants.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If there is any I doubt you would be able to feel the difference.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
If there's a dyno sensitive enough to record the hp/torque differences from dino to synthetic oils I'd like to see that. You'd see more difference in spark plugs than lubricants I think. As for the other benefits, I'm still a believer in the synthetics.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

There are many more reputable test results you just have to search
I agree no more power is made it is merly increased thru less friction

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
you would think that an independent lab would do the testing, would be more bleaveable that way. i'm not saying not to use royal purple just sayin i don't bleave the test

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
sorry knelson but oil will not improve performance, the enginge will still produce the same hp
Not so

Ok please explain the many dyno results that offer real world hp and torque increases with the use of synthetic lubricants.
We had an engine builder try to actually set up AMSOIL for failure. He had his bike on the dyno with 15W-40 in it and switched to AMSOIL 20W-50. This should have been an automatic loss for AMSOIL but the dyno results shoed over a 2 HP gain. He signed up as a Dealer.

We had a NASCAR Team run tests on other oils and AMSOIL. My buddy called me at about 3am to tell me they just called him and said that they were impressed with the dyno results. Done deal.

NGK did some dyno tests. Because AMSOIL knew of the tests, they had NGK perform oil only dyno runs as well. Not only did AMSOIL increase HP Results, The NGK plugs also increased HP.

Each little thing you do to increase HP (Non-Mechanical), also has a direct relationship to fuel mileage as well.

So don't forget to change the rear end to a High Quality Synthetic 75W-90

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,175 Posts
What I noticed immediately after putting in 4 quarts of Mobil One 4T Racing Oil:

My net worth went down $50.00 as a result of buying the oil.

No performance improvements, but it did seem to shift better.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Mobil 1 4T is an excellent oil and I'd run it if AMSOIL were no longer available.

There are performance benefits that may not be noticeable such as increased HP, better fuel mileage, cooler oil temps and the smoother shifting.

Motorcycle oils will usually have a higher ZDDP count and anti-rust and corrosion inhibitors.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,175 Posts
I asked this very question on a different thread, but I wanted to give you an opportunity to answer this question on this thread, as there are different forum members on this one.

Last year, I had all of my fluids changed to Amsoil by a motorcycle shop. I believe in the product.... as I believe in Amway soap. I don't buy Amway soap cuz of their marketing methods.

As an Amsoil dealer, you have to get this question often.

Why doesn't Amsoil not sell their products through conventional retail markets? I have a hard time with "This is the best stuff, here let me sell it to you," approach from others who use it. I have always had "contempt prior to investigation" when it comes to someone endorsing a product at the same time pushing to sell it to me at what I think is a high price.

I am not being critical. I am just asking.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I asked this very question on a different thread, but I wanted to give you an opportunity to answer this question on this thread, as there are different forum members on this one.

Last year, I had all of my fluids changed to Amsoil by a motorcycle shop. I believe in the product.... as I believe in Amway soap. I don't buy Amway soap cuz of their marketing methods.

As an Amsoil dealer, you have to get this question often.

Why doesn't Amsoil not sell their products through conventional retail markets? I have a hard time with "This is the best stuff, here let me sell it to you," approach from others who use it. I have always had "contempt prior to investigation" when it comes to someone endorsing a product at the same time pushing to sell it to me at what I think is a high price.

I am not being critical. I am just asking.
I probably should have just done a copy and paste here but... LOL

AMSOIL does sell through Retail locations and I have some throughout the country. I will be happy to set up any Retailer to buy AMSOIL Factory Direct. Send them my way.

Now, as to why you would want to buy at retail +, when you can buy direct from me and have it dropped on your door, that is up to you.

I don't say the things I do about AMSOIL to sell it. I sell AMSOIL because I can say the things I do and have Since 1984.

If I find a better product and, a better company, I'll sell it.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have been running my Wing with RP oil and the engine is quiet as a church mouse on start up the shifting is smoother and quieter and without a doubt it has a noticeable performance gain.
Now keep in mind my comparison is based on my last trip riding my wing with old wore out Honda oil. of course there should be a difference even if I just went back to new Honda lubricants.
I guess what I am saying if someone went from 100 hp to 108 hp using synthetics it would need to be known that there was at least 6 dyno pulls, two with the used lubricants two with new standard lubricants and two with synthetics. this way you could see the performance increase in just maintaining your bike properly. I have yet to see any video proof of synthetics doing dyno pulls like this, they seem always to compare new synthetic to used dino oil.
kind of one sided IMHO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What about this, I have a 2008 gl1800 Navi I pull a trailor ,I change oil every 3000 miles ,wait my trailor is loaded my wife is ready i'm ready. I'm sorry but my wing is going on a trip I bought it to ride , Let me know how your tests come out. well never mind i really don't care. You all should do a little more rideing and little less worring and injoy those bikes. Live is to short

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Usually Dyno pulls done for tests by anyone worth a flip, will compare new oils. It is common knowledge that as most oils break down, so engine performance decreases as it does.

asa.... My Yama is a a run around towner... oil changed at 8000, twice Yamaha's recommendation... The Wing is a local rider for when we are two up, Oil changes are are at 16 K/1 year... The Harley, well, it was the workhorse... Oil changes performed at 10K, 2 x the OEM MAX Recommended... Always loaded and pulls a trailer loaded with oil and when I used it for shows, my tables and tent were strapped to it. We were going down the road at over 2300 lbs. The oil analysis showed I was good at 10,400.

The difference between running a Quality Synthetic oil as AMSOIL and other oils... PRICELESS!

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
That's alot of load for an air-cooled paint shaker Bob! Wondering, why not pull that load with the Wing?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Wondering, why not pull that load with the Wing?
B... Personally, I believe we are like in a Brotherhood Regardless of what you ride. Unfortunately, many people don't share that thinking.

The Wing would definitely pull it better just with the higher HP.

But, true to the above thought, I would go to Any Harley Dealers or even riders and get shunned because I was on a Wing. Buy the Harley, I get accepted by most everyone regardless what they ride and just by picking up Smoky Mtn. H-D, they more than made the payments on my Ultra Classic by what they ordered.

In other words..... It was a business decision that paid off.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts