Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm big on the idea that a company makes it or breaks it on their own merit, so I've decided to document my experience with ordering a new Uni-go from the time of the order to receipt of the product and installation on to my Goldwing.

Here goes....

Ordered the trailer late in the evening on Monday, May 28th at 10:00. Did not transfer any financial information as I wanted to speak to a rep regarding any paint matching issues and hopefully some kind of guesstimate as to when the trailer might arrive (really just wanting to know how many weeks it might take.)

Received acknowledgement of the order at 10:06 that same night. The email has a leading sentence of "We will be in touch as soon as possible about your order". (I think you know already where this is going...)

Today, 30th of May, I still have not heard from them. I called the 800 number and left a voicemail at 12:00 noon or so, as it immediately dropped into the voice mailbox.

Will keep you posted...

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
We will be in touch as soon as we feel like it. :(

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
OK, I'm big on the idea that a company makes it or breaks it on their own merit, so I've decided to document my experience with ordering a new Uni-go from the time of the order to receipt of the product and installation on to my Goldwing.

Here goes....

Ordered the trailer late in the evening on Monday, May 28th at 10:00. Did not transfer any financial information as I wanted to speak to a rep regarding any paint matching issues and hopefully some kind of guesstimate as to when the trailer might arrive (really just wanting to know how many weeks it might take.)

Received acknowledgement of the order at 10:06 that same night. The email has a leading sentence of "We will be in touch as soon as possible about your order". (I think you know already where this is going...)

Today, 30th of May, I still have not heard from them. I called the 800 number and left a voicemail at 12:00 noon or so, as it immediately dropped into the voice mailbox.

Will keep you posted...
You may be dealing with an employee that makes 10.00 an hour and doesn't give a flip about sales or the livelihood of the company. Voicemails also sometimes get ignored, not on purpose but because they move back in the system and therefore become old and sometimes dead. I've found that even professional and competent people still need nudging, reminding and following up on. As a small businessman myself, I offer these observations. Just stay on top of them and you will prevail.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Okay Rapier my friend here ya go.

1st my best Staten Island N.Y. slang. ~ Not for Nuttin but you do remember Monday was a holiday. I'm just sayin'.

Having said that preiously some manufactures have extended Holidays/take that time to do inventory etc etc etc. Not making excuses for them but it could be that.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I have been found lacking in my expectations, much to my chagrin. I received a call a few minutes ago from the sales rep, Mike, who said he was on the road and he apologized for the delay in getting in touch with me.

I have some work to do as he has asked me to send a painted part of the bike, either the fuel cover or one of the saddlebag rails to the paint shop. I hate to have the part off the bike, but I do agree this is the absolute best way for them to match the paint.

Mike also asked about my hitch and asked for the manufacturer, model and the measurement of the bar that slides into the receiver on the hitch. Obviously, he's asking for all this to ensure that the trailer is manufactured to a standard of high quality - something of which I cannot complain about.

Turn around on this is approximately 5 weeks, so the faster I get the information and part to him, the faster the trailer shows up on my doorstep.

Kudos so far for Uni-go being so fixated on attention to detail.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
I'm glad that things are going well at this point Mike. Hope it continues.

·
Premium Member
24,118 Posts
I suppose these fellows build them on " demand ". Dealing with a manufacturer is different than dealing with a " distributor " or " service " company. Rome wasn't built in a week . The upside is if it takes a year to make it, you'll have a 2013 model.

·
Premium Member
24,647 Posts
Just be happy you didn't order it on the first of April:eek:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shipped the left saddlebag trim rail off to Jacksonville, FL on Friday, so they should have it tomorrow. Michael at Uni-go said that I could expect delivery in six weeks, so I'm thinking that July 17th is pretty much the day that I should have the trailer. Good thing too, as I'm heading to Rt. 16 (the "Back of the Dragon") on that Saturday with the GF. Should be an interesting trip to the Tazewell, VA area where we'll drop the trailer off at the hotel for the actual ride on 16 the next day.

More to come...

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Good for you Mike.:D

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Wow, that's a great looking road. Let us know how your trailer works out. If I was to get a trailer this is the one that interests me. But a rack like Fossil has is more likely.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
While its fresh on the minds, when I had my '03 triked I saved the rear fender. If anyone needs a color sample of Silver Stream Metallic, just ask. No need to remove a body part.

Take care and ride safe

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
While its fresh on the minds, when I had my '03 triked I saved the rear fender. If anyone needs a color sample of Silver Stream Metallic, just ask. No need to remove a body part.

Take care and ride safe
My body parts are flesh colored but can't part with mine just yet. :eek:
BTW, you ready to ride? :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
My body parts are flesh colored but can't part with mine just yet. :eek:
BTW, you ready to ride? :cool:
Well, I haven't been moping around the house waiting for some one to go for a ride. I'm already obligated to something Saturday but Friday is unplanned. Can you get past your gate?

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Damn.... Baker City forecast is for rain, rain, rain, rain then rain on my way home on Monday.

I am considering staying home and practicing retirement:

Go to the gym when first up for the day.
Get the DVR set up for some good TV watching.
Do a little pressure washing.
Do a little gardening.
Do a little honey do list.

Eat breakfast a little later in the morning and skip lunch.
Plan out the supper meal around 2:00 and walk to the store to shop for the stuff.

Take walks around the block.

Now, for next week.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
My new Escalade, color matched to my 08' in dark cherry red is now ready for shipping. It should arrive by June 22, then it's off for a little road trip to Grand Coulee, Idaho and back north through BC Kootenay country.

Two comments on my decision and research (25 cents worth),
1). I like that the trailer is not much wider than the 1800 and matches the look.

2). I was concerned that the Unigo style has to be supported by the motorcycle when parked.

Why would you have to send a part of the bike to color match?? Isn't that what paint codes are for?.

YV

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My new Escalade, color matched to my 08' in dark cherry red is now ready for shipping. It should arrive by June 22, then it's off for a little road trip to Grand Coulee, Idaho and back north through BC Kootenay country.

Two comments on my decision and research (25 cents worth),
1). I like that the trailer is not much wider than the 1800 and matches the look.

2). I was concerned that the Unigo style has to be supported by the motorcycle when parked.

Why would you have to send a part of the bike to color match?? Isn't that what paint codes are for?.

YV
I wasn't too concerned about the bike holding the trailer up, but it is something to keep in mind. The additional two tracks of a standard trailer did concern me. Hope that you find it not to be a concern for you.

As far as the paint, with time I suppose paint could very during production and sending the part is the only positive way to ensure that the paint does match 100%.

Congrats on the new trailer!

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got the word that the trailer will be here late this week - with some assembly required and a wiring harness and isolator relay to install. Hope to have it on the road Friday evening. Will let you know how it goes...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts