1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
I just read your link and I am going to enjoy reading your ride reports. But you do realise you can join my club with peformance like that. The CAT club. [Candy Assed Tours.] LOL Eric

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Nice link Doug. Every year in late March or early April I visit Arizona, rent a bike, and go riding. I have yet to make the trip up to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix as usually it is still winter temps up there. But every year I say, " Maybe next year ! "

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome from Seattle.

I just read your ride report. Iron butt riding is easier on a wing.

I was down in Phoenix in April and rode through Flagstaff and up to the canyon. It was too cold to camp so we stayed a few days in a hotel in Flagstaff.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Enjoyed the pictures and report of your ride to the Grand Canyon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Perfect timing on your post as me and the wife was talking about the Grand Canyon as a possible destination. Yahoo maps show it as a little over 1k miles from our house which with my wife on back would be a 3 day ride one-way. Great trip report - thx.

I never have figured out why someone trailers their bike to the destination, but I did enjoy reading this part of your post:

"HER: hmmm, my husband and I ride a lot together. I can’t imagine riding all the way to Oklahoma City in one day though. We usually trailer it behind the truck and ride it around when we get there.
ME: So what kind of Harley does your husband have?
HER: I think it is a Heritage something… How did you know it was a Harley?
ME: Just a guess."

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Doug cool report & pictures. You will have lots more of those on the Wing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect timing on your post as me and the wife was talking about the Grand Canyon as a possible destination. Yahoo maps show it as a little over 1k miles from our house which with my wife on back would be a 3 day ride one-way. Great trip report - thx.
"
If you go in the summer, be prepared for hot weather at the rim. Flagstaff can be a cool 70 degrees, and the canyon rim cranking close to 100. Less than an hour ride or so from Flagstaff if I remember right.
If you have never been to the canyon, you owe yourself an evening of watching the sun set. The colors that you see will blow you away. Very nice place. In between Flagstaff and the canyon is a whole lot of dry, desolate, desert landscape. Descending the mountains and watching the scenery change from thick forest, to dry waste land is interesting.
Highly recommend staying high in the mountains in Flagstaff. Awesome rides through curvy mountain roads, and much, much, cooler temp.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Doug awesome ride report. And pics. Two yrs ago we did the canyon, in a Dang cage. No I enjoyed the trip but my work schedule and wife's vacation plans didn't match so she drove to phx on Saturday and I flew out the following Thursday. Wish I could've taken a bike ride like that but as you stated it was HOT. We went in June and saw well over the century mark in temps. As you are here in Oklahoma too you probably like me have been feeling that same heat riding this last week!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is miserable hot lately around Oklahoma.
We definately have 4 seasons, and right now summer is in full force.
Cooler weather is right around the corner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We set a record here in Phoenix yesterday. Official mark was 118 but reports of as high as 122 have been heard. I was on my wing till about noon doing some errands but it was about 105 when I parked it. Wanted to get out again this morning but waited to long so I will stay indoors for now. I did mow the grass and accidentally (lol) fall into the pool.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
That's a great trip report. Personally I think you are nuts for driving through the night but my hats off to you. Really glad nobody had to search for the body and all ended well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts