Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm commuting to work this morning, riding in the HOV into downtown DC (I know, scary, huh?) and I fall in behind a BMW. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the rider had the annoying habit of practicing very poor lane discipline when being followed by another bike. When I would pull up into a staggered formation, he would be OK for a small distance, but then he'd drift over in front of me to where I would then have to back off and/or switch to the other side of the lane.

I prefer to ride with other bikes when on my commute as it gives both the other rider and I more "presence" for the cagers to see. But when riders do what he did, it either becomes an exercise in maintaining a clear escape lane or just a plain huge lump of frustration. When I'm in the lead I make sure that I always stay in the left side of the lane so that the other rider(s) can follow safely and not be suprised.

Note that this is not the first guy I've run across that has done this, so it is not a knock against BMW riders, even if they are hoity-toity. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seen that here in TX too. Yes HOV lane into Houston.. LOOK OUT!

Wait a minute.. I have a cup holder on my Wing... :)

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
Not making excuses but maybe they may have never being riding with another rider. My eldest son was hopeless with riding in a group. He just could not see how he was impacting on others. In 3 weeks we will be doing a 7 day trip, so that should help him to get a better understanding riding in a group. We will have 5 bikes on this trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
True. I have seen inexperienced riders do this all the time. Nervous and using the entire lane. Give them space. They'll figure out with experience over time. 7 day trip. Sound great!!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
My guess is that out of ignorance, he was blocking you-fearing you would pass him while sharing a lane. I had someone (not calling a group ot but the initials were HD) do it to me couple months back. Wasn't looking for it but I am now. I don't block a staggered bike behind me but I keep an eye out for the pass now.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait a minute.. I have a cup holder on my Wing... :)
Maestro keeps hinting that I will be getting a cup holder for Christmas. I just tell him that it is his senility kicking in... ;)

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
There's a good reason for people to take a GWRRA Ride Captain or group rider course. Some guys will never get it though. I had the dubious honour of leading a group ride this past summer with a bunch that I had never ridden with before. By the time we were back it was blatantly obvious that while all of them were very competant riders on their own, most had very little idea what riding in a group was about. All but three of us had those yokes built on the lakeshore and six of them had to constantly "prove" that their scoot was, ahem, fast. Right. If you want to play boy racer and pretend your last name is Rossi, you shouldn't be doing it in a group, or when another rider is in formation with you for that matter. What is with that when some people swing a leg over a certain brand of bike (no bashing intended) the intelligence factor goes out the window?

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
maybe he just doesn't like sharing a lane seing the two of you didn't start out riding together

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
maybe he just doesn't like sharing a lane seeing the two of you didn't start out riding together
I'm voting with you on this one. There is no official rules of engagement when approaching from behind another rider headed in the same direction. This fellow was a loner and possibly wanted to make that clear. When I am approached from behind by another rider who clearly shows no sign of passing me and is content to follow, I assume a group lane position. It's my way of saying " come aboard ".

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
maybe he just doesn't like sharing a lane seing the two of you didn't start out riding together
I'm betting on this or he just didn't know how to ride in a group. I ride with the local GWRRA chapter and even some of our group need "coaching" from time to time. When I come up on another bike I fall into the pattern, but back just a little more than usual until I see that he is okay with it.

I know what you mean about scary driving downtown. Although mine is just Jackson, MS and it isn't that bad I try to go in/out early to avoid the heaviest part of rush hour.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean about scary driving downtown. Although mine is just Jackson, MS and it isn't that bad I try to go in/out early to avoid the heaviest part of rush hour.
Yeah, I try to be in the HOV lanes just after 6:00 AM so that as the solo cagers work their way off of it that the traffic lightens. Usually that works fairly well, although this morning it seemed that there were a lot of scofflaws that remained in the lanes until they got to where they needed to go. Guess that following the law was just a bit inconvenient for them. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
I'm glad I don't have to deal with HOV lanes around here. I try not to ride too far or too close to people I don't know. Call me cautious but I don't trust what I'm not sure of.

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
I'm glad I don't have to deal with HOV lanes around here. I try not to ride too far or too close to people I don't know. Call me cautious but I don't trust what I'm not sure of.
Yep, give them a little more room as you never know. I find that the guys I ride with regular I probably don't leave enough room. I "think" that I'm watching the same things they are and we all react at the same time.

I ride the freeway downtown to get here at 6:30, not much traffic but this time of year it is in the dark and I know they do not see me as well. Leave out at 4:00 which keeps me ahead of the real rush. Busy but everybody flows well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not a group rider I have been riding for 35yrs and do not like to share lanes for two reasons, one is I like to look around. Part of the fun of a motorcycle is you don't have to watch the lines you have a whole lane to move around in, dodge pot holes,ect., the other is the guy riding up behind you may be on his first ride or just not a good rider you have no way of knowing. Money will buy any bike you want but it doesn't mean you can ride what you bought. If you like group rides that's fine, but if you don't leave with me we are not a group.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I am not a group rider I have been riding for 35yrs and do not like to share lanes for two reasons, one is I like to look around. Part of the fun of a motorcycle is you don't have to watch the lines you have a whole lane to move around in, dodge pot holes,ect., the other is the guy riding up behind you may be on his first ride or just not a good rider you have no way of knowing. Money will buy any bike you want but it doesn't mean you can ride what you bought. If you like group rides that's fine, but if you don't leave with me we are not a group.

Interesting view point and I see both positions.

I am a little between I guess. I am a firm believer in the 3 second rule. (that's 3 seconds between what's ahead and what's behind me). If traffic is heavy, I know, it isn't happening.

But if a stranger or someone I know wants to ride, I watch to see how close they are to me. If they keep their distance about 3 seconds back, I am pretty comfortable with it. If they crowd me out of ignorance or because they want to impress the point that we look and can ride like fighter jets in formation, then I am going to get ahead or wave them around and then I will give them at LEAST 3 seconds as I don't trust as much as some I ride with alot.

Stranger or friend, isn't worth locking handlebars over.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I like the 3 second rule and also formation in groups!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Things like this is why I am a Lone Wolf. I do ride with others but only if they are safe, sober and it is pre planed.

·
Super Moderator
11,894 Posts
Even some "group riders" seem to forget at times. I am only comfortable in a group when they are all awake and paying attention. I know there are a lot of riders that don't like sweep, but sometimes it's the easiest position.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts