Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a couple bikes before I got married but had been without one for years. Now that the kids are grown I started looking again and settled on getting a Gold Wing. The last week of January, 2010 I found a 1999 Wing on CycleTrader. It was the awesome Pearl Green color and only had 36K miles on it! It was described as being in perfect shape at a good price so I put a deposit on it over the phone and got a plane ticket for January 30th. I purchased a helmet, packed a backpack of warm clothes and took off from Orlando to Dallas. Once I got there it was an hour ride to Sherman, TX where the bike was. When I got there I found out it had snowed the night before but had warmed up to 32 and had sun! I test rode the bike, finished the purchase and set off riding it back to Florida (after putting on all the clothes I had brought with me). Had ridden in some pretty cold weather before so I knew what to expect.

I hadn't ridden a Wing before but it was comfortable almost immediately. I rode the rest of Saturday until midnight and stopped at a hotel just over the MS border. Sunday morning I got up, had breakfast and set off again. Rode all day Sunday and got back home at 11:00 PM that night. I was very sore but happy that I hadn't hit any rain or bad weather at all (even though the highest temp for the trip was about 52 degrees) and that the bike performed flawlessly! I got an awesome bike and had a bonding experience with it for sure!!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Gary Sounds like you had a great time, Welcome to the site,And enjoy your new wing

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the wing purchase. Alittle concerned with the sore thing you mentioned. :D Glad your having fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Because our wifes already feel we ride them to much. Sounds like a great trip. I had the same kind of experiance when I first got mine. I will never forget it!

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF gary. don't forget to post some pic's

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing from Pennsylvania. Sound like you are bonding just fine to your new friend. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I bought an 02 Gold Wing from a guy in Oregon in 03. I made the deal over the phone, I flew up to Portland Or, he picked me up at the airport, took me to his place, I gave him a cashiers check and away I went. My trip was just the opposite of yours. It was mid July and hot as heck. I left on Friday afternoon and had to back on Monday for work. So I took HWY 5 most of the way home and it was HOT. 100+ both Saturday and Sunday. Glad you made it home safe and enjoy your new bike. That Merced Green is a nice color.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Almost the same story.

My trip wasn't quite as long, but I had a great long ride when I bought my Wing. I bought my 94 Goldwing SE on Ebay for a great price, but I had a 280 mile trip home with it. The only other bike I had driven before was a little CX500. I didn't arrive at the dealer that I purcvhased it from until 5:30 pm so the last half of the ride was in the dark. The only problem that I encountered was that while passing a truck on Interstate 80, I hit accidentally hit the emergency flashers instead of the turnsignal. It was a little embarassing having to pull over on the side of the road to figure out how to turn the flashers off. The rest of the ride went smoothly and I have a fond memory. The only drawback was that it was so dark by the time I go home that I had to wait until the next day to show off the new bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My trip wasn't quite as long, but I had a great long ride when I bought my Wing. I bought my 94 Goldwing SE on Ebay for a great price, but I had a 280 mile trip home with it. The only other bike I had driven before was a little CX500. I didn't arrive at the dealer that I purcvhased it from until 5:30 pm so the last half of the ride was in the dark. The only problem that I encountered was that while passing a truck on Interstate 80, I hit accidentally hit the emergency flashers instead of the turnsignal. It was a little embarassing having to pull over on the side of the road to figure out how to turn the flashers off. The rest of the ride went smoothly and I have a fond memory. The only drawback was that it was so dark by the time I go home that I had to wait until the next day to show off the new bike.

That's kinda funny! I did the same thing myself the first night. I went for the blinker and hit the flashers. I knew the flasher button was sticking so I couldn't turn it right off. Had to ride about 5 miles to the next exit where I could pull under a well-lit space and work on it.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
It is refreshing to hear old stories spoken again. There is a shared experience among new Wing riders. Each one is unique in its description but all are universal in joy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It is refreshing to hear old stories spoken again. There is a shared experience among new Wing riders. Each one is unique in its description but all are universal in joy.
Can we get an AMEN for Brother CHOPIN??

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114
Can we get an AMEN for Brother CHOPIN??
That is one profound Chopin we have isn't it!

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts