Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone who read my new member introduction know I just bought a 1986 1200A last week got the girl last Saturday plated her yesterday and rode about 28 miles or so.
Today got her out of the garage and took a ride to town about 4 miles shut her down and would not start battery dead.
This is the new battery the guy was nice enough to put in before selling the bike because he always replaces his batteries every couple of years Yea right :mad: (ok I am over that now sorry)
So I unpluged the stator wires (three yellows on the left side of the battery and ohmed them out and every one connects to the other one, but they also connect to ground (not good right?)
I already checked with the shop new stator $343.00 for part.
thanks for listening.
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
There should be no continuity from any of the stator wires to ground.

Which side of the wires did you test?

With everything hooked up, check the voltage at the battery with it running. You should have about 14 volts at 2500 RPM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be no continuity from any of the stator wires to ground.

Which side of the wires did you test?

With everything hooked up, check the voltage at the battery with it running. You should have about 14 volts at 2500 RPM.
That's what I thought, I unplugged it and checked the wires going down inside the motor casing lower left rear.

Before starting the motor battery showed 11.58 volts once started battery showed 11.28 at idle then slowly climbed to 11.70 at 2000 rpms
Also talked to the local honda shop and he said unplug the connector and start the bike and on a ac voltmeter should be about 50 to 60 volts ac between these same wires I get aout 30 volts ac on two hookups and 13 or so on the other set.
Jerry
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
That's not good news. :(
If all the wires and the connector look good, I'm afraid you need a new stator.

Are there a lot of extra lights on the bike?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking thanks for your thoughts.
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
You may want to look into the PoorBoy Alternator conversion.
Because getting the stator out means getting the engine out.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been online all afternoon looking into the poorboy type conversion, I would like to keep everything "clean" and stock looking not sure I would be happy with it if I went that way.
I have done all my own wrenching for years on everything from lawnmowers to cars so replacing the stator does not feel out of reach and thanks for the ebay link I will give it some thought.
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts