Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Larry from Seattle, I've purchased a 1995 GL 1500. Larry found this bike on his recent tour of the SW on his Wing out in the desert of New Mexico. Originally Larry said that he wanted to buy this bike as it is a one owner with 25,000 miles and could be had at a reasonable price. Due to the logistics of distance from Seattle Larry declined the purchase and turned me onto it. I purchased the bike sight unseen as Larry's recommendation was good enough for me. In a few weeks I'll drive the 850 miles to Deming, New Mexico to pick up and trailer it back to Texas. The bike needs a good cleaning and a shot of Seafoam in the fuel and a good inspection. I bought my 85 LTD last month and had plans to upgrade from the 1200 to a 1500. I just never thought things would have moved this fast. As they say; be careful what you ask for because you just might get it. After I get the bike back home and get it cleaned up I'll take some more pics. I uploaded some pics to the members Gallery under DanB if you want to check them out. Meanwhile I'll try to figure out how to get one put in here too.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Congrats on your new nice looking Wing. Like the color.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
Very nice and it looks like teal color.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys-n-gals for your comments. Yes it is the teal green color. Ought to be a pretty bike once it gets a bath, a little powder, some baby oil and a good massage.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I am glad it all worked out for you Dan. When it is supposed to, it usually does. I think you both got what you wanted. Joel got his bike sold and you got a low mileage 1500 that should last you a good many miles and smiles.

I would of enjoyed having it, but it was just too far and too much detail for me to acquire it.

Dan, please pm or email me his mailing address. I have a 1/12 replica Goldwing 1500, in the same color that I am going to send him for his desk.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Congrats on the new wing.....She will look very nice once you cleaner her up......and then just ride in the wind with her....

Ride Safe Always !!

·
Administrator
28,999 Posts
Nice ride Dan, needs some TLC but I'm sure you know someone that will administer that.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
congrats dan now for a drivers backrest and highway pegs / boards

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats on your new wing, enjoy all those many miles ahead of you both.
Be sure to put some pics on when she has had a bath.
Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Again thanks all for your kind words, generous support and new found friendship. I feel like I've found a new family here with some really cool folks. Thanks Larry for the tip on the windshield upgrade because it won't be long before I'll be looking for more ventilation here in Texas. William, you noticed that too; no seat back, highway pegs or floor boards. I have the Markland on my 85 LTD and a heal/toe shifter and love them. I'll probably add arm rests for Debbie also. And most likely will do a trailer hitch and get a trailer for touring with Deb. Larry, Deb and I are still planning our trip to Portland and Vancouver in July. Deb and I have never done long distance touring before and she says she doesn't think she would be up to it physically. All of our riding together has been on the Maxi Scooter for 200 mile rides max. She hated the wide body of the scooter as it bothered her hips and the wind buffeting for her was a little much. Perhaps once she rides on the Wing she'll have a better ride experience. We still have time between now and July to perhaps convince her that this trip to the NW is doable on our new Wing. My fingers are crossed.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If your going to add a back rest consider the Utopia. It mounts into the seat not under the passenger hand grips. Not as hard on the passengers hips. If Debbie is a tall lady and you put arm rests on for her ( a good idea ) might consider putting a piece of 1" square aluminum tubing between the mount and arm rest pads, you can get plastic plugs at the locale hardware store to seal the ends. Raising the pads her shoulder won't sag, a bit more comfort for the Lady.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Looks like its ready for the 850....Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
good call ron. get a seat with a built in backrest it will give deb more room and to me it has more support than the backrest that loops over the seat

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on the new ride. Looks like its ready for the 850....Ride Safe
Ready for the 850? What's that?

If your going to add a back rest consider the Utopia. It mounts into the seat not under the passenger hand grips. Not as hard on the passengers hips. If Debbie is a tall lady and you put arm rests on for her ( a good idea ) might consider putting a piece of 1" square aluminum tubing between the mount and arm rest pads, you can get plastic plugs at the locale hardware store to seal the ends. Raising the pads her shoulder won't sag, a bit more comfort for the Lady.
Ron, Debbie is short so does this recommendation still apply? Thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Ready for the 850? What's that?
Sorry DanB...I thought I read in your original post that you were riding it 850 miles, back from New Mexico.:confused: I see now you are trailering it. Oh well....Looks like its ready for a good 850 of trailering.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
The Windbender is a very nice option if you are going to do two up at highway speeds. You can raise the windshield high enough that it will give her some wind coverage.... you would be looking through the windshield at that point, but it would increase her comfort. When you get into town and riding low speed, then you can lower the windshield to enjoy the breeze.

I am going to add one to my bike this winter.

When you get up this way, I would be delighted to be as much of a tour guide as you need. Quite a few interesting routes from Texas here too. Be sure to allow enough time to see the National Parks in Utah. That area is well worth spending extra time doing so. And of course, the Grand Canyon.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts