Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have the front tire to match the rear installed last month, I am officially a Metzeler ME880 rider. For now, my decell wobble is all but gone; cruise control on with hands off steering shows great road tracking at highway speeds. Sure, they are new and one should expect that. I'll be the Metzeler guinea pig here as we all compare and shop for that perfect tire.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'll be interseted in your findings, the rate I'm going, I'll be shopping early spring next year (10K on the clock now). I see no abnormal wear on front or rear and I'm running 42 psi front and rear on the OEM dunlop D250's. What is different from last year, with the weather being more consistant and me riding nearly every day, I haven't had any of the pressure variations or warnings from the TPMS like last season. Or maybe it just took last summer for the tyres to seat properly to the rim. anybody else notice this?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Chop,

how many miles did you get on the OEM stock Dunlops? Just wondering, mine are close to 8k.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Chop,

how many miles did you get on the OEM stock Dunlops? Just wondering, mine are close to 8k.
I had about 15k on the rear before the nail took its life; it would have gone further. The front had about 17k. The previous rider used it mostly for work commuting. The stock tires were the Dunlop 440's ( if I have that number right). As a side note: considering I bought the bike in November with almost 9,000 miles on it, hibernated through the long winter, and now I have almost 18,000 miles clocked, that to me is a lot of miles of riding in a few months time. On my previous VTX I averaged 5,000 miles a riding season. I have the riders in PA to thank for my tire wear.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I have the riders in PA to thank for my tire wear.
Your welcome.... Hopefully there will be a lot more added to the new treads... Ride safe my friend..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put 10k on my bikes in the last year and after seeing other makes wear out in no time
I now use Metzler ME880's on four bikes...front and back....they last longer
grip better and cost the same or less....
Just got an 88 gl1500 it's next....

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put 10k on my bikes in the last year and after seeing other makes wear out in no time
I now use Metzler ME880's on four bikes...front and back....they last longer
grip better and cost the same or less....
Just got an 88 gl1500 it's next....
I like what I'm reading here guys. On the same theme, here is a discussion on tire wear I found posted somewhere:http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/ ,if you have nothing better to do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Now that I have the front tire to match the rear installed last month, I am officially a Metzeler ME880 rider. For now, my decell wobble is all but gone; cruise control on with hands off steering shows great road tracking at highway speeds. Sure, they are new and one should expect that. I'll be the Metzeler guinea pig here as we all compare and shop for that perfect tire.
Good luck with the Metzlers. Keep us posted on the wear and handling. I had a set of ME880's on that I remove almost immediately because of poor handling and wobbling. Went back to the Dunplos which gave good handling when new. They seemed to cup fast with a lot of tread depth left. I always kept the tire pressure at 41 lbs. (R) /38-40 lbs.(F). Mileage was anywear from 12-15K consistantly. I now have Avon's on (1st time). They are performing great and wearing better than the Dunlops so far.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Curious..?...why does nobody replace the original stock tires with original stock tires....? Why do I ask...after my two trips in Sept and Oct I will have about 9000 miles on the bike...(not bad considering the bike will only be 5 months old :eek:...time for a trade in :p)....but next year I will be taking my trip to Alaska and will replace the tires prior to the trip regardless of the mileage and will begin looking for tires in spring...thus watching tire threads on this forum....

One additional question...the last couple of days it has been in the high 40's when I come to work and I noticed the TPMS warning light always turns on until the tire warm up....tire pressures OK....any thoughts....

Safe rides...

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curious..?...why does nobody replace the original stock tires with original stock tires....? Why do I ask...after my two trips in Sept and Oct I will have about 9000 miles on the bike...(not bad considering the bike will only be 5 months old :eek:...time for a trade in :p)....but next year I will be taking my trip to Alaska and will replace the tires prior to the trip regardless of the mileage and will begin looking for tires in spring...thus watching tire threads on this forum....

One additional question...the last couple of days it has been in the high 40's when I come to work and I noticed the TPMS warning light always turns on until the tire warm up....tire pressures OK....any thoughts....

Safe rides...
Why don't we use the stock tires ? I don't know. Never thought about it until you asked. I told my shop to put on tires that " they " liked and the Metz are what I got. Next to your brand of oil, tires are second most controversial subject . It's just human nature to try something different in the hope that it will somehow be something better. With regards to your tire pressure, you are running low according to your TPMS as tire pressure should be gauged when the tire is cold. It must not be too far off if a little heat increases the pressure enough to satisfy the threshold. Here is one for the tech minded members : If a tire measures 40 psi stone cold, what would the pressure read after a 5 mile ride at 60 mph ?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
chopin114;29302 If a tire measures 40 psi stone cold said:
Ok I give up, answer please, Maestro:eek:

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I give up, answer please, Maestro:eek:
If I gave you the answer you would have learned nothing but the answer. This is a research question, Matt. Yes, it is a homework assignment. You can even ask Mrs. Matt for help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
...Here is one for the tech minded members : If a tire measures 40 psi stone cold, what would the pressure read after a 5 mile ride at 60 mph ?
Not enough data, too many variables: Would need to know the size of the tire, the material composition, the characteristics of the road surface, straightaway or twisties, the ambient temperature, weight of bike and rider, etc., etc.... I say 42 psi ;)

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not enough data, too many variables: Would need to know the size of the tire, the material composition, the characteristics of the road surface, straightaway or twisties, the ambient temperature, weight of bike and rider, etc., etc.... I say 42 psi ;)
Take your tire pressure reading before you leave your driveway. Stop at the first 7-11 about five miles down the road and take a reading. Might as well have a cup of coffee and a doughnut while you are there , the added weight won't matter as the pressure is already recorded.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yeah, but can you calculate the co-efficient of drag of the South African Tree Swallow at 200' agl?

Joking, just joking:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take your tire pressure reading before you leave your driveway. Stop at the first 7-11 about five miles down the road and take a reading. Might as well have a cup of coffee and a doughnut while you are there , the added weight won't matter as the pressure is already recorded.
I agree, although there are many variables as stated in another post, your method would seem to be the most accurate and the coffee and doughnut would help relieve the stress of now questioning how accurate your gauge is after all that.:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
ptwingmn...I noticed that your US map is full except Alaska (& Maine)....Looking to go to Alaska next year...if interested Let me know...we can hook up and finish your map....at least for Alaska....

Safe ride...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Chopin114...I am still figuring out the answer...just need one more piece of information...are there golf balls in the tire....if so the tire has a lot of hot air.....:D

Thanks for the response....Safe Ride

1 - 20 of 24 Posts