Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started February 2nd, when I was high bidder on an eBay auction for a 1988 GL1500. I then tried to find a shipper through uShip. What a crock, they show a lowball price on eBay, but none of the shippers will bid anything near that amount. I decided I would make the trip to Wisconsin to pick it up.
My brother, Kevin, had also won a bike on eBay and needed to go to North Dakota to get it. He has a trailer so we decided to take his small SUV and tow the bikes home. As has been said before, all good plans....
We left on a Sunday morning, made it to Bismark, ND and spent the night. We got up Monday morning and drove to Madison, WI and spent the night there. Tuesday morning we drove on down to Fort Atkinson, WI, to meet with the seller. After finally tracking him down, he opened the door to his shop and I got my first real look at it. I was a bit surprised, to say the least. It was filthy and smelled of barnyard. Oh well, things can always be washed. The seller then proceeded to start it, incorrectly, unfortunately. The oil smoke cleared quickly and the engine sounded good. After a couple minutes of warm-up, the bike idled great. I rode up on the trailer, tied it down and off we went, to meet the seller of my brother's new bike, in Valley City, ND.
After picking up his bike, the SUV didn't do well, any small incline or headwind and the transmission was down in second gear. He said he wasn't just about to ruin the transmission, so I would need to ride my bike the rest of the way home, about 1,100 miles. I hadn't packed any of my riding gear along, as I had no intentions of riding it. We stopped Tuesday night in Jamestown, ND, there was a WalMart (shudder) and I was able to get a cheap pair of boots, but nothing else. Wednesday morning we found a bike shop and I was able to get a helmet. We unloaded the 1500 and I fired it up with no problems at all. Off we went towards home at about 10:00AM. We stopped and had dinner around 8:00PM, at about 11:00PM and at 33 degrees, I was ready to stop. My brother didn't want to stop, but I couldn't feel my legs! We spent the night sleeping in his rig, well trying to sleep. Thursday morning we took off again, it was about 35 degrees and overcast. We made it as far as Butte, MT and stopped for gas, I was tired and cold and the weather didn't look promising in the upcoming mountain pass. I saw a motorsports shop across the parking lot from the fuel station. I waited for him to open and asked if he had storage available, he did. That's as far as the bike got, after around 700 miles in about 11 hours. I figured I could go back Friday and pick it up with a different vehicle. We got into the pass and ran into snow, I was sure glad I didn't chance it.
My mother and father and I went back Friday morning to trailer it on home. I could have ridden it, as the weather had cleared, but we already had the trailer there, so we loaded it back up and brought it on home.

The pictures are all taken by the previous owner, I haven't had the time to get it cleaned up and fresh pictures taken.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
The bike does look almost new in the picture.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Well that was certainly a long way around for a new ride. Whoa.

By the way nice looking machine.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
nice looking wing but what happened to your brothers transmission
are you starting a west coast wing museum :)

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without the 1500 on the trailer, his rig did fine. No, no museum, now I need to sell the other two to pay for this one!

·
Registered
178 Posts
This sounds like quite the adventure, and I have had my share.

All I can say is, when I finally find the wing for me, I sure hope it dont change me into some kind of fanatic like ya'll. Man you guys are absolutely nuts!!! Some of the posts I read on here, I am just,,,,confused lol. but I do get a good chuckle. Glad ya got back safe...oh and less I forget your bike to,,,,good thing your bike got back safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
what are you waiting for bob, tank has three wings and two of them are for sale :)

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Some brother. How come Kevin didn't leave his bike...:rolleyes: LOL

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great, even if there was a bit of fuss getting it home. Eric

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Nice looking bike. Are you a Wing Player or are you just looking for that perfect fit? This is the 3rd one..... you are gonna catch the good Dr. in numbers pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Nice bike. Quite an adventure getting it. Reminded me of my 1800 mile trip to get mine.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Can't wait to see it in person!;)

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm getting dizzy here. Are you moving up, down, or around ?
Down in years, up in condition. It only has 42K miles, as opposed to the 1993 that has 192K.

Nice ride. Looks sharp. I can't see the dirt.
Most of it was just dust, 1,600 miles at 70-80 MPH does a good job of cleaning. :)

Can't wait to see it in person!;)
With a little luck, you will! :)

He will probably thin the herd by August.
I hope to, down to just this one. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some brother. How come Kevin didn't leave his bike...:rolleyes: LOL
Without going into detail about our relationship, it was a mater of weight. A 880 pound Wing or a 300 pound CM250.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
very cool tank

I know you're a good mechanic, are you now starting up a used bike shop?

Looks like fun-enjoy.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Great looking bike. I've always thought the 1500's had a bit of an edge on the 1800's aesthetically. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.