Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 GW se horn sounds sick but is still semi-loud. I looked on youtube but could not find any oem GW horn sounds.

Anyone know where I can find a oem GW horn sound file ? 1500 if possible.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
1500 horns were sick, they were very low sounding, you can access the horn and it has an adjustment on it, or take it off and go to Pep Boys and get a loud horn that will fit, or better yet, get some air horns like many with 1500's have done, The 1800 Gold Wing has very loud horns but I don't know if the would fit in the place where the 1500 horns mount.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Horns on most m/c's are kind of an afterthought (?) but I don't get why. when I first hit the horn on my 1800 I about jumped out of my shoes! I put aftemarket horns on most of my previous bikes but never did the air horns like Joe suggested as many 1500 owners do. bike Bandit and other outfits have oodles of them.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
From what I can remember the horn on my 98 GL1500 SE sounded "wimpy" too. The first time I used the horn on my GL1800 I thought someone was blowing their horn at me. Boy are they loud. I had a friend who installed air horns on his 86 Calvalcade and they were really loud.. Too loud for me.. JMHO Since our bikes don't have loud exhausts I guess the horn becomes more important..

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Coming off a VTX, I was embarrassed to " beep-beep" the horn. I'm proud to " HONK " the 1800 horn. Every cow and horse knows I'm passing by their pasture.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
The stock horns on my 1993 GL-1500A sound loud, but they don't send a 'Sour Note'. The horns sound like they were from a Honda Civic. I do have a 'Back up plan' a set of automotive air horns that are hidden from view, but ready to awaken any distracted driver. These are 'Real' air horns, a loud a$$ pair with a small compressor. Can you hear me now? Good, that i'll wake 'em up.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Added Air Horn -

Hey Flw, I’ve had good luck with the added installation of an air horn on my Goldwings. They often come as a kit which includes a relay, mirco-compressor and a small pair of air horns. I mount everything within the front fairing down under (and forward of) one of the removable storage pockets and then add a small thumb switch near the stock horn button. At one bike rally I saw a real bug catcher setup - he had a large forward facing air horn mounted externally along side his equally over sized fog lights.

The only problem with the air horn is that some cagers can take offense at being alerted to a driving error by an unseen 18 wheeler. I’d read on one motorcycle site that when a lady drifted across the line and too close to a Road King, an extended blast of his air horn caused her to actually make a run at the guy in retribution. I use mine sparingly but as needed.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Well I would be interested in a louder horn on my 95 1500. I am putting a compufire battery and alt on it this weekend and then start playing with my led lights I bought.

I am pretty mechanical minded so I hope I have no problem with the alt install. Any tips would be appreciated, I bought 4 of the new rubbers as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts