Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have been a bit quite for some reason on GWOF and so I thought I would give you a ride report of the same ride but from two different prospectives. One person is the,(my glass is half empty) the other is the,(my glass is half full). So this is two reports of the same ride. It was a ride I did before I was a member here.
Rider 1/ Dear Diary,
We are riding to Sale and the skies are dark and threatening, but I have being getting ready for hours and the bike is packed and I have my wet weather gear on. Two hours into the first day and yeh, go on just send it down why don't you. Well it rained and rained. Our dry riders are just great if you want a wet suit. By the time we got to the Motel I was feed up with this. Why didn't we take the car. Next time it's going to p..... down I am going to stay home.
Rider 2/ Dear Diary,
I am so excited it is the start of a two day trip. I am riding two up with my daughter and we will meet up with Sid. All the preparations have being done and we are right to go. The sky is quite black and I think it will rain a bit. We meet up with Sid and the ride starts with hills and curves. So far the rain has held off and we were having a ball. After crossing the river the road goes over small hills with high speed curves and it is not long before we are riding along the Corong. The rain has come in and we have strong side winds and it makes the ride quite interesting. Well I can tell you we are as wet as a shag so there was a bit of a fight for the shower. But the poor kid was cold and she had not complain at all. So I made a coffee and that made the inside happy for now.
Sometime when it goes a bit pear shaped it is how we see it. Is your glass half full or half empty.
Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
Nice contrast, Eric. I'm not sure what I am?:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Hi Eric, I have like most of us riddin in some pretty crappy weather. I always look at it as another experience and still enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Eric, I have like most of us riddin in some pretty crappy weather. I always look at it as another experience and still enjoy the ride.
Yes it can be done. Crap weather but still enjoy the ride. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Eric some of my most memorable experiences outdoors, wheather it's riding, kayaking, canoeing or backpacking is the intensity of weather. My memory of riding through Colorado and running through a snow storm and freezing my butt off will stick with me forever. Sometimes it doesn't seem like so much fun when it's happening but afterwards we never regret the experience. Besides, it gives us bragging rights.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric some of my most memorable experiences outdoors, wheather it's riding, kayaking, canoeing or backpacking is the intensity of weather. My memory of riding through Colorado and running through a snow storm and freezing my butt off will stick with me forever. Sometimes it doesn't seem like so much fun when it's happening but afterwards we never regret the experience. Besides, it gives us bragging rights.
The snow storm is the only time I have ever been concerned for our safety. I could not see where we were going and there was big drops and no guard rails. You couldn't stop because you would freeze. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
The snow storm is the only time I have ever been concerned for our safety. I could not see where we were going and there was big drops and no guard rails. You couldn't stop because you would freeze. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Eric
I hear you. Fortunately for me, the snow wasn't sticking and visibility was doable. We were in northern Colorado near Walden which is close to the Wyoming border in early June. Early June for Colorado can be a mixed bag because besides snow storms one can also encounter snow on the higher passes. We were in Rocky Mtn. National Park and tried to ride up to the Alpine visitors center. The roads were closed on the higher sections of the road due to snow. Last year we were in Colorado in early July which was a much better time for us however we did hit a bit of a heat spell in Golden. Have you ridden in Colorado Eric?

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
my glass is half full also. a few years ago my niece lisa and i rode our wings to davisburg, mi for a blessing of the bikes event being held there. we were there about a half an hour when i spotted lightning in the distance so we decided to leave. lisa forgot her rain pants so i gave her my over pants and i put on my chaps. an uneventful ride in some hard rain then i hit some water soo deep the the tidal wave went mostly over my wing and soaked lisa :) we still laugh about that ride

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
My glass is half full. Half empty was last week.
I'm usually half full too until it's empty, then there's no half empty; it's empty and I'm spent and it's time to shut her down and crawl into a tent, a culvert, a laundry mat or a nice warm dry bed in a hotel.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Colorado is going to be on our second trip in 2014. So far I have only driven a car in the USA. So in August will be the first ride in the USA. And am I looking forward to this. You can bet that I am. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
Colorado is going to be on our second trip in 2014. So far I have only driven a car in the USA. So in August will be the first ride in the USA. And am I looking forward to this. You can bet that I am. Eric
we are looking forward to your arrival also. your usa map is going to get more colorful

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My map at the moment looks funny. How did I get from east to west and not get so states in the middle. It will look a lot better in 2014. Eric

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Was going to ask you that! Al good though. The only time i was real concerned was th efirst time I took my then "new" bride on her first bike tour. We got 50 miles south and hit a hail storm. It came down so hard that we literally had to ride in the tracks of the car in front of us. I doubt Cindy could actually see what we went through as she was ducking behind me for cover. good thing too. I've always kept my glass half full since.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
A few years ago we were cross the Bear Tooth Pass, on the Montana, Wyoming line the first part of July. Near the summit it started to snow big heavy wet flakes. It wasn't sticking to the road but off the road it was accumulating quickly. I had one of those big over sized Markland windshields on my 1500 and it was covered with snow, so I was using the edge of the pavement as a guide. When we pulled off the road at the Store on Top of the World, there was a group of young people taking our picture and laughing.
When we stop one of them came over and says" You know how funny you looked pulling in here at covered with snow.
My reply was "Do you know how funny you looked standing there in the snow, in shorts,tank top, and sandals, taking our picture. We all had a good laugh.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Years ago, my wife and I embarked on a camping vacation with our three children (ages 8 years, 5 years, and 9 months at the time) to the mountains of northern New Mexico. We weren't experience Campers and almost all of our equipment was borrowed from other family members, including our 5 man tent. This was in the days when tents this size were heavy, cumbersome behemoths that packed into four foot bags weighing in at 30 pounds or so. My father had purchased it years earlier from an army/surplus outfit and while it was a bitch to set-up, it was big enough for our group to comfortably fit inside. We were a young family on a limited budget and I didn't want to spring for the price of a tent, so we drove out of our way to Lubbock, Texas to borrow that puppy from one of my sisters. At the time we owned a conversion van, which had ample room for our gear and the kiddos, and the price of gas was a $1.12 a gallon, so a 100 mile detour to pick up the Family Tent made economic sense. After a short visit with my sister and her family, we continued on our way to our camping site near Chama, New Mexico. We arrived in late-afternoon and found the perfect location near a stream, with huge Ponderosa Pines providing shade and the "necessary" facilities in fairly close proximity. We gave the older offspring permission to explore the stream with instructions to stay within whistling distance, Terri nursed our youngest and I unloaded the van. As is often the case in the mountains of Northern New Mexico, an afternoon thunderstorm appeared to be in the making, so it seemed a good time to get the tent set-up and the camp secure. I dug a trench for drainage, placed my tarp, and wrestled the tent out of the storage bag. Everything appeared to be in order except for a couple of small details. No tent poles. Or stakes. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

With the afternoon slipping away, and the thunder-heads boiling in the near distance, Terri scrambled to cook a meal on the Coleman cook-stove, I repacked the van with the items that couldn't handle the water, and we hung the tarp from the trees to provide a bit of protection from the coming rain. I whistled the children back from their explorations and we ate a excellent meal of Terri's home-made stew under the tarp just as the rain started to fall. Sleeping accommodations for the three children in the van were no problem. The bench rear seat folded down into a bed, so we bedded the older two down there. The front four seats were Captain's Chairs, and we bedded the baby down on the van floor between the back row chairs and she was set. Terri is 5'5" and was able to lean her chair back and stretch out to sleep with decent comfort. I'm 6'2" however, and despite leaning my chair back as far as it would go, I got little shut-eye as my arms and legs took turns falling asleep and keeping me from doing the same. The afternoon thunderstorm had morphed into a mountain monsoon which hammered the van all night and continued unabated the next morning.

The prospect of spending two sleepless weeks in a van with three young children wasn't what we planned for on our vacation, but the question was what were we going to do about it? Despite the fact that we were on a limited budget, we decided to make it a Road Trip and see the Southwest. We broke camp that morning, and headed north into Colorado. Over the course of the next 12 days we visited the Great Sand Dune National Park, Mesa Verde, The Painted Desert, The Petrified Forest, and Arches National Monument. We also saw the inside of some mighty cheap motels and made most of our meals at Roadside Parks along the way. But you know what? We didn't break the bank and we had an absolute blast. And it never would have happened if those tent poles had been in the bag.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Willmax: That is where your glass was half full. And instead of a story of how you had no tent poles that wrecked your holiday, you have a great story of a family holiday. I am not saying that in the heat of the moment we may think differently but it what we do after that.
Ron was able to laugh in the heat of the moment (or should I say the cold of the moment)
Eric

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Eric: No doubt my glass was half-full, but I sure didn't feel like it when I pulled that tent out of the bag! I guess that shows how sometimes a "bump in the road" can lead to good times further down the way that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts