Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to change my oil for MY first time. I want to use AMSOIL.
Remember now, I have an '02 GL1800 and live in Alabama.
Questions:
1. Which oil do I need to get?
2. Which filter should I use?
3. Is the filter removing tool the same as a car?
Also if anyone has the youtube link that shows how to do it, I would appreciate you passing to me.
Thanks in advance:)

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
It's a little long, but shows exactly how to do it and what tools needed.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Well, it's easy to do.
I don't use Amsoil. I use Honda GN4 with an OEM filter.
The filter removal tool for your car should work, there are many types available. The band type ones are usually one size fits all.
Now the gentleman in the following video is going to show you how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wingstuff sells the Honda oil filter in a three pack and also the filter wrench/filter/crush washer kit for a reasonable price. That's where I get my stuff. For oil, I just use Costco Mobil 1 for cars (I know, I know. Been doing it since the 80's and have all my vehicles running well).

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's easy to do.
I don't use Amsoil. I use Honda GN4 with an OEM filter.
I have a extra quart of Honda HP4 synthetic blend 10W-40. That was what my local dealer had in stock. Is that a good oil???

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes it's good oil as are a multitude of others as long as they are the equivalent of what Honda calls for. I use whatever synthetic happens to be the cheapest at the time that meets Honda specs. AmsOil has never been the cheapest.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You will be fine. Any good oil will do. Go with your favorite and all will be good with regular oil and filter changes. Oil is one of those 'religious' topics where no one is really wrong, but everybody's right! I just swear by frequent changes so those nasty toxins and particulates don't build up. If you really want to freak yourself out, send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and they will analyze it for you and you won't even be able to sleep at night. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the 10W40 correct? For some reason I thought 10W30......

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Just take it to Jiffy Lube

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I believe the 2nd most important thing (oil being first) is using a torque wrench to put the plug back in.

Cars have metal threads. These bikes are aluminum. You can strip these out and put yourself in a fix. You might stretch them a time or two before you tear them out with the metal bolt / plug.

buy a good name brand torque wrench. Set it to the proper setting and test what that feels like on a seat bolt. You will be amazed at how little that is. You will also be amazed at how much people wrench down on it because it's a big bolt. Don't risk losing your engine over a 60 dollar wrench.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40w in the blue label gallon jug from Wal-Mart. About $22. I would like to use Amsoil but it's hard to get over here in the Nation's Capitol area. It is not available at motorcycle shops, only by distributors.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
DIY oil change takes me about 15 minutes, not at all what I consider 'downtime'. While it's draining, I inspect the rest of the bike's undercarriage for damage and telltale signs of upcoming problems (overflow bottle, seeping gaskets, debris damage etc). I use Amsoil 10w40 and the filter # EAOM-103. The Honda GM4 is what the bike comes with so it's fine as is the OEM filter. I have the Honda filter wrench #07AAPLCA100 and use a new crush washer every time. I have a digital torque wrench and it is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DIY oil change takes me about 15 minutes, not at all what I consider 'downtime'. While it's draining, I inspect the rest of the bike's undercarriage for damage and telltale signs of upcoming problems (overflow bottle, seeping gaskets, debris damage etc). I use Amsoil 10w40 and the filter # EAOM-103. The Honda GM4 is what the bike comes with so it's fine as is the OEM filter. I have the Honda filter wrench #07AAPLCA100 and use a new crush washer every time. I have a digital torque wrench and it is fantastic.
Budoka,
Do you put dope in the rear end?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, not exactly sure what you mean by 'dope' but I use Amsoil synthetic in the diff if that's what you mean.:D

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, not exactly sure what you mean by 'dope' but I use Amsoil synthetic in the diff if that's what you mean.:D
My mechanic refers to "Putting dope in the rear end" may be a country term. Unless he has stashed a bag of weed in my wing. I may be a drug mule:eek:

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
My mechanic refers to "Putting dope in the rear end" may be a country term. Unless he has stashed a bag of weed in my wing. I may be a drug mule:eek:
Reff: Ride up to my house. I've changed the oil four time here on different bike. You can check out my grass while you get your oil changed.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I have a extra quart of Honda HP4 synthetic blend 10W-40. That was what my local dealer had in stock. Is that a good oil???
It's good oil. My Wing likes the GN4 and I would rather not change its 'Diet'. It's a 1993 and has pretty much been raised on regular oil.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reff: Ride up to my house. I've changed the oil four time here on different bike. You can check out my grass while you get your oil changed.
I plan on making that trip. I will hold you to it.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts