Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get at least one IBA ride in every month of 2013. Last Saturday was my last chance for January and I made it.

Just a SaddleSore 1000 but I got a ride in January so I am covered for a couple of weeks.

My Ride

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
It will be cool if you can do it the whole year.....Still impressed by your golden bladder

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Well done John. Another one under the belt.

·
Registered
207 Posts
John
Might want to get that kidney function test before the next ride.

What did you learn about the history of E=mc2?

Good luck on your future rides.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
:):)He learned that's why the chicken crossed the road.......

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Nice very nice. I hope to get started this year

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Excellent...I am going to strive myself to improve on my times and distance...hoping to do a 2000, 3000, 5000 and another 10000. I am still showing my best friend that I am not too old to do an iron butt ride...:D I hope he doesn't tell me I am too old to swim the atlantic....:eek:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Excellent...I am going to strive myself to improve on my times and distance...hoping to do a 2000, 3000, 5000 and another 10000. I am still showing my best friend that I am not too old to do an iron butt ride...:D I hope he doesn't tell me I am too old to swim the atlantic....:eek:

If I know you Lee, you could still prove him wrong at that too.;)

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John
Might want to get that kidney function test before the next ride.

Good luck on your future rides.
I think my kidneys work well and I drink a lot of water on rides. I start with 2 gallons. My sister, an MD, tells me there is little danger because when pressure gets to a critical point you will release it. For reasons I do not understand, on the Wing,I can go all day without eating and without the bathroom when in real life neither is possible. I need to spend more days on the Wing.

What did I learn about the equivalence of mass and energy? I continue to understand more of why in graduate school I studied mathematics. Simply put I do not have a strong enough mind for theoretical physics and yet it is the science that fascinates me. Nothing I like more than being along on my GL1800 listening to someone explain physics.

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
John

I asked a physicist why the " c " in E=mc2 is squared , as the speed of light travels 186,000 (+/-) miles/ second. He told me because it makes it universal. Suddenly, it all made sense. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I asked a physicist why the " c " in E=mc2 is squared , as the speed of light travels 186,000 (+/-) miles/ second. He told me because it makes it universal. Suddenly, it all made sense. :rolleyes:
It is squared because (like so many things in life) of a woman. Specifically Émilie du Châtelet (1706-1749). It is she who bucked the great thinkers of the day (including Newton) and showed that the energy of a moving object is proportional not to the velocity but the square of velocity.

As a Wing rider I get a sense of this relationship in the form of wind resistance and my Wing drinking so much more fuel at 80mph than at 65mph. At 65mph my Wing will use about 2.9oz/mile of gasoline. At 80mph that jumps to 4.05oz/mile. Speed is up 23% but fuel usage is up over 38%. The relationship only gets worse.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Stop, you're making my head hurt2! :eek: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts