Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded up my '81 Silverwing GL500 for an '80 GL1100 Standard, and day 2 I noticed the rear brake foot lever riding way high. Further inspection reveals much fluid at the bottom of the rear brake master cylinder actuator. My mechanic will be digging into it tomorrow.

I have never had a rear brake failure like this, probably due to the difference in braking systems. Is this a common failure? I don't see how the previous owner could have covered this up, thus I am chalking the failure up to a poorly rebuilt master cylinder (or one that was ready for rebuild). The previous owner just had the bike rebuilt and was trading down to a smaller ride.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
I have owned old bikes and cars all my life and have found not many people really keep their old bikes or cars right up there with the repairs. So if you want an old bike, when you get it you must be prepared to spend money until you have found everything that needs attention. At that point you will be riding without touching much at all.
My 84 wing when I brought it needed: 30 amp fuse to be replaced with car fuse [next to battery],tires, battery, mirors, timing belts, stator, clutch plates, clutch seal, redo wiring at the block in the fake tank, new exhaust system, key block. I have probally missed some others things that have been replaced, but you get the picture. Now my aim is to run up a 100k of my miles on it. I do have 10k of my miles on it this year. Eric

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
All I can say is be prepared to spend more money! Once you think you have covered all be prepared to spend a little more on farkles!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to the site Kaiser, sorry to have you with troubles so early in your Wing history. Not much of a wrench or troubl-shooter so hopefully you get some advice from some of the more knowledgeable peeps here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts