Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a slight wobble when I grip my handlebars very lightly or when I take my hands off the bars briefly (very briefly). No problem normally when riding, but it still bugs me. It’s a 2018 with 15,000 miles with about 3,700 miles on the tires. What gives? I thought the new suspension solved this issue. But, it’s the same wobble I had on my previous 2012 GW.
Pls don’t tell me to “just keep your hands on the bars” which I do! Any sage advice out there in Goldwing Land?

· Registered
253 Posts
I had blisters develop in the center tread area of a front tire on my '06. Wow! did it wobble! Just a bit of tread separation, bead grab, imbalance can cause it. Or loose/notchy head bearings (like if you hit a pothole real hard and dented the race/balls).

· Registered
2021 Goldwing Bagger, 2007 GasGas EC300
86 Posts
On the tie rods, there is a spec that allows for up to 5mm of play. If your right rod is starting to wear, it may show up in the slight wobble you are experiencing. Max at Traxxion has a couple of products to fix that. One is a complete right tie rod replacement, and the other is a bushing that replaces the left rubber mount bushing in the top tree. Here is Part 1 of a 3 part series about tie rods

I just did mine, wasn't having a wobble, just preventive maintenance for a bike that will get high miles each year.

Reactions: pidjones

· Registered
2021 Goldwing Bagger, 2007 GasGas EC300
86 Posts
I believe the service manual shows the proper way to adjust the tie rods. The after market company says the right tied rod is the problem. Both tie rods work in tandem and both are identical.
Not actually.

The right tie rod is solid mounted to the top tree. Meaning it does not have a rubber bushing in the tree. It is the primary tie rod has the stud with rubber bushings in it. The studs moved very easily compared to the aftermarket tie rod is a much tighter unit with no play. This is after 8500 miles and my stock tie rod was well within spec.

The left tie rod has an additional rubber isolated bushing fit into the tree which allows for a lot of movement when the right tie rod is not installed. I agree with Max at TD that this rod is purely for safety if the right should fail.

· Registered
10 Posts
I get a slight wobble when I grip my handlebars very lightly or when I take my hands off the bars briefly (very briefly). No problem normally when riding, but it still bugs me. It’s a 2018 with 15,000 miles with about 3,700 miles on the tires. What gives? I thought the new suspension solved this issue. But, it’s the same wobble I had on my previous 2012 GW.
Pls don’t tell me to “just keep your hands on the bars” which I do! Any sage advice out there in Goldwing Land?
Normally, that is an indication of cupping wear on the tires. If you look closely you should be able to see it. When you get a new tire that will go away.

· Registered
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
11 Posts
I had that wobble on my 04 and then change to the bridgestones and it was gone. My 2018 and now my 2021 I have no wobble. So I don’t know?
Many of us who have ridden for years and years have had similar issues and have learned that not all bikes can withstand or tolerate the same brands of tires/manufacturer(s). ”Dunlop” was a big concern in which many of us switched to a different grade/brand tire such as Michelin, Bridgestone and one of the best being “Avon” for reliability, safety and longevity. The debate regarding tires and oils will continue for millennium. “Good luck.”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts