Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the second time that my wing has filled my garage with gas fumes after I drove it home from work.
On both occasions the tank was about half full, no signs of gas on the floor or dripping from the wing.Yet my garage was so full of gas fumes one spark might have caused it to go up in flames.
I am not kidding my eyes were burning from the intensisty of the fumes.
Both times I cleared the fumes out the garage. I would leave the garage open and fans running for about an hour and the problem would go away on its own.

My local dealer has been less than helpful as this is an intermitant problem.
I told them I was worried that my bike might catch fire if I drove it to them and I was afraid to leave it in my garage.
my service advisor said I will call you back in 1/2 and hour to arrange a pick up.
I am still waiting for that call.
I am willing to fix it my self but honestly I have no idea where to start other than take all the tupperware off and inspect for leaks.
Has anyone else with a GL1800 had this happen and find a cure?

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Knelson. You haven't had your lower front cowl off for any reason since you had the bike, have you ? I don't know where I'm going with this other than looking for mis-connected hoses related to the fuel system.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I've never had that problem, but I understand why you are concerned. Gas fumes can be a potential disaster in an enclosed area. Since you don't see any signs of gas on the floor or dripping maybe the problem could be a bad or unseated gas cap. I believe the gas tank is pressurized, so it may be building up pressure and escaping from the filler cap or overflow.

In either case your dealer should get the bike in immediately and fix the problem. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you have a leak you should see something on the floor. Did you over fill it and gas is collecting in the vapor canister or what ever its called? Thats my only thought.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gas cap may be defective but I normally turn the cap until it clicks several times
also this problem happens about 80-100 miles after I fill it up. I make sure to never overfill the tank. If I had access to a four gas analizer I could find the leak with no problem as it would be spewing hydrocarbons that could be deteced with this machine.
I have never had my bike apart except to do my 3k service and this problem was there before that.
I intend on bringing it in to Honda but as this is an intermitant problem I have little faith that they will fix anything.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly it seems that the tank is building too much pressure and once the bike is turned off the pressure continues to build untill it is released once the bike cools
the and the pressure is vented from some orfice all is well until next time.
If I overfilled the tank which I am sure I didnt, the problem should happen right away.
not two days later.
if Honda does not fix it I will strip off the tupperware needed to gain access to the
any item related to the fuel system and keep driving it until it acts up again.
the scary part is I dont always go back in my garage after parking my Wing.
So this may have happend many more times that I found out about.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
You're thinking. We may not be trained mechanics, but that shouldn't stop us. I'm glossing through the service manual looking at the fuel system. Try a different cap first. You wouldn't be chance have a Honda car parked nearby ?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trained technicians at the Honda Dealership have given up before they even started.
So I am thinking and hoping someone reguardless of their mechanical ability has seen-smelled or experianced this problem and is able to share with us what it was.
I appreciate any help I get on this as I love my Wing and with my back problems I dont think I can ride anything else. At the same time I am not willing to have my Bike and house burn down because the Honda Techs are too inexperianced or too lazy to deal with a dangerous intermitant problem. If I still owned my SUN MCS 4000 Engine analyzer with a four gas I would attack the problem confident that I could solve it.
I guess I could find the source of fumes with a lit match LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Wow, this is not good. I do have a question or two in this effort to determine where or what is going on. 1. Are you parking the bike on the side stand or center stand? 2. Does the problem show up when parked one both or just one? Ie, side stand only. 3. Do you hear any "hissing" noise when you stop and park? Reasons for the questions:, It sounds to me like you might have a leak in a line and the gas is dripping or running down onto the exhaust system somewhere. It would evaporate the gas, therefore no drips would be seen and yet it would definitely produce gas fumes. If it only happens when the bike is on the side stand you could remove that long piece of tupperware on the side nearest the stand and look and listen along the exhaust system. Its just a thought as to trying to find the problem I hope you find and correct it because that is a major concern.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After riding it try losening the fuel cap and leave it lose over night and see if it helps. This should relieve any preasure that may build in the tank. If your dealer does not mind YOUR garage being filled with fumes then I would take it to HIS shop and park it in there ,see how his insurance com. likes it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I park my wing on the center stand with no noises noticed once parked I have worked on many cars that were leaking fuel from a defective seal on a mechanical pump and the fumes from those leaks were in no way this strong. For sure the fumes are under pressure when released. When this happened you know you are in immediate danger and the first thing I do is vent out the garage by the time it is safe to go back into the garage the problem is gone. Under normal operations the bike performs well no gas smell at all. You would think if I had a leaking wet fuel line that my wing would smell of fuel all the time but this is not the case. I have not moved my bike once I parked it. And I have not had one sniff of fuel after the intial release. This must be heat soak of some sort over pressuring the tank or evap system . Perhaps I am riding the bike too hard on the turnpike and not giving the bike a chance to cool off before I park it in a closed garage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Next time you ride it under those conditions, when you get home turn it off outside, then remove the gas cap, reinstall it and push it into the garrage, remove the cap again in an hour to see if any pressure, if no pressure, reinstall cap and check again in couple hours. always make sure cap is installed after checking and see if smell is still happening.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
I've seen after market fuel filter leak around the hose connections, but this a new bike. If the dealer won't help call Mother Honda. This is a load of crap a new bike should not be causing this kind of problem, if they can't fix it the bike should be replace. You didn't pay that kind of money to have to risk your home and family.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next time you ride it under those conditions, when you get home turn it off outside, then remove the gas cap, reinstall it and push it into the garrage, remove the cap again in an hour to see if any pressure, if no pressure, reinstall cap and check again in couple hours. always make sure cap is installed after checking and see if smell is still happening.[/QUOTE

That is a great idea thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just went to the street painting festival and I took the wing it got good and hot I parked back in the garage to see what if anything will happen I will check on the bike in a few minutes

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
I wonder if the gas cap isn't defective.
I'd ask the dim-wits at the dealership for a new one.
The bike is under warranty.

No playing with matches or lighters in the presence of gas fumes!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys no explosion to report no problem found this bike is going to Honda this week I will not try anything else until Honda gets their turn first.
This way they cannot try to refuse the claim.i am sure they won't find anything as I cannot even duplicate the problem

1 - 20 of 75 Posts