Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I will be flying to Searcy, Arkansas on Tuesday 11/17/09 to sign for my 2010 pearl yellow Goldwing with ABS. I'm having it shipped to Tampa, Fl by Haul Bikes.
Just came off of a 2007 1900cc Yamaha Roadliner that I finished paying for 1 week before an 84 y/o lady made a left turn in front of me with my wife on board as my passenger. We hit her rear passenger quarter panel, then the pavement. That was September 21, 2009 and the bike was totalled. I had planned on purchasing the Wing in addition to that bike.
My wife ended up with a broken elbow that had to be surgically repaired, a broken thumb on the same arm (left), and severe road rash on her left hand. I had a torn ACL in my left knee that was surgically repaired, bulging discs in L4-L6 and stenosis.
We have'nt completely healed of course, but we're getting better slowly. I probably wont be able to ride like I want initially, but I'll spend the time customizing.
So far I've had the dealer add a Utopia back rest, fog lights, the Kisan path blazer headlight modulator, a belly pan, kuryakyn floorboards with heel/toe shifter and break pedal, and a soundgate iphone & ipod controller which controls the iphone or ipod from the handle bar controls.

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Welcome to the site. Take your time on the Wing & enjoy. Sorry to hear about your troubles but as we all know it can happen to any of us. Hope your recovery is going well.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Wow, what a first post. First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new Wing. Glad you and your SO were able to walk, or at least limp away from that accident. Hope the healing is complete and you both are able to ride again soon. Sounds like your new Wing is going to be decked out with lots of farkles. Ride safe with this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 Roadliner midnight that I am considering trading in on a goldwing. I haven't decided on whether I will purchase a new or low mileage used wing. Just curious as to why you decided on an 2010 instead of a new 08 or 09.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hosepuller, I hope you and your wife make a return to 100%. But remember, time is a great healer - don't rush, man, the road will always be there. You'll have to post a picture with all the farkles for your first ride back. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also had a 2007 midnight roadliner that I lost in an accident. I chose a 2010 because I wanted the pearl yellow color for visibility. I couldn't find any left over 2009 pearl yellow, so I went with a 2010. 2008 was the earliest model I would have wanted, but they didn't make pearl yellow that year.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
I have yet to get the wife out for a ride. We have not been on a motorcycle together, ever. Your recent experience is something that sits in the back of my mind. I keep it to myself though. It's sounds like your lemon experience is turning into lemon-ade. Kudos!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out, hurting, but not deflated. Getting back on the bike is not easy sometimes. My son had a similar experience to you with being cut off but he only ended up with a broken helmet, broken finger and sore ribs. He went for his first ride yesterday and seems to be fine. He is paying more attention to the outside cage drivers. When I first found this sight there was some great dialogue about the Yellow wings. When I bought mine I almost went for one because they are in less accidents, don't attract bugs, get better mileage, never break down, are cooler, real men ride them and the list went on. Let us know if it is all true. Ride safely.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pearl Yellow (nice)

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your bang-up. That color, pearl yellow sounds nice, enjoy your new ride! I just might go for the floor boards and heel-toe shifter soon.

·
Super Moderator
14,423 Posts
Welcome Hosepuller, I’m new also. I have a 2006 Stratoliner that will soon look like a Roadliner as I’m about to pull the bags off it and change out the exhaust. I just picked up a 2010 Gold Wing. Talked with the dealer in Searcy but decided to purchase local. Sorry to hear about your wreck, hope you heal up soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey hosepuller, congrats on your new wing and sorry to hear about your roadliner loss. I have an 09 gl1899 and also kept my 07 stratoliner "S" fully dressed. I hope you and the Mrs heal real fast, and enjoy your new ride to the max. How do you like the floor-boards on the wing? Are they a vast improvement in leg comfort and worth the $? I don't like the heel-toe application and wonder if I can keep origional shifter with boards? Please advise and ride safe my friend! Ted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why'd you decide against Sunrise in Searcy? All of my bolt on accessories were tax free and 20% off. I miss the Roadliner, but am enjoying the heck out of my wing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They take getting used, but once you do, it's closer to the riding position of the roadliner. I plan on having my seat modified by "Bike Solutions" to gain more leg room.

·
Super Moderator
14,423 Posts
I decided to purchase local because for what I was adding (just a cb and brake light spoiler) the price was close enough. While Searcy is only about six hours from here I still would have spent the night and if the wife came along then the other expenses go up from there. Nothing against Searcy but decided to support the local dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts