Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2nd hand '07 GL1800 is about to get it's first oil service since I became the owner. Priced it at the stealer, about 60 bucks, using their oil and filter. Did some research and I now think that synthetic oil is the way to go, looked at Amsoil, Mobile 1, and others. Also investigated information on filters. Microns, efficiency, anti-drainback valve (which I consider to be super important), overall quality of performance. I will do this maintenance tomorrow, here's what I bought:

Mobile 1 Racing T4 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10W-40, four quarts
Purolator PureONE PL14612 filter
Also got a filter wrench and a couple "crush washers".

The oil is on sale at Advance Auto Parts for $7.99 a quart. My total bill was just under $50.00, vs. the $60.00 for the dealer to do it with their oil & filter, and I will still have the filter wrench and spare washer(s) for future use, plus the synthetic oil which I hope will improve the shifting.

I know that a question of which oil/filter to use will get about as many different answers as there are responses. I am curious if anyone thinks I made a bad decision, or your opinion of my choices. Oh, yeh, I looked but could not find the Supertech ST6607 filter at any Wal-Mart, using the internet to hunt for it. Maybe it's not available?

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
$10 either way is not a " significant " savings, unless you don't care to take the time to ride it on down to the Dealers. I have run standard Dealer oil, Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic and am currently running Valvoline Motorcycle Specific 20w-50w ( non-synthetic ? ) Total cost of material on the aforementioned oil and filter was about $37 . All start out great and quickly devolve to the clunk shifting that we come to know and abhor once the engine is heated up. Your experience may vary. I change my own oil out of principle because it is simple to do, albeit, I have to remember take the oil drain can with me when I get my truck oil changed to dump it in the recycle container.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I changed to Castrol Actevo Synthetic oil this year. Within less than 50 miles I noticed the change. No more clunk when shifting. Very smooth now. Wish I had changed last year.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Personally I use automotive oil, but you may want to use motorcycle oil since some additives in automotive oil may cause the clutch plates to start slipping. Many GL owners used Golden Spectro oil years ago and I don't know who still does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.