Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 Aspencade with 23,500 miles on it just started to drip antifreeze in drops after it got cold, someone I talked to suggested it might be the o rings that contracted and need to be replaced?

It ran like a dream when I bought it this summer, and no leaks on the floor, i did smell a tinge of antifreeze however here and there, but never thought much I did not drive it a-lot since I hurt my hip. so maybe I had a leak and it evaporated.

But as soon as it went 0 degrees out I noticed it was dripping a little on the floor.

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
So my 2 cents for you would be, take the lower cowl, and the radiator cover above it off. This will expose the water pump, also lower radiator hoses, and the radiators. I have seen where sometimes a water pump will drip out of the puke hole (happened on my previous 1500) but also our ever famous Ron Robertson pointed out several times that for some reason when they assembled 1500's at the factory Honda put one wrap of a clear tape around the hose ends that he surmised was done so the hose could slide on easily. Over time that plastic tape breakdown and that can cause a drip at the hose connection. So check those connections, if they seem suspect, take them apart, clean that hose end to remove the tape with some scotchbrite or steel wool, then put the hose back on, and retighten the clamps.

Those are some things that I would look at 1st.

One last thing you can check is in the fork tunnels, pull up the plastic black tunnel seals, and look at the overflow tank/hose. My now 95 had a cracked fitting on the tank that leaked a bit when I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
11,940 Posts
+1 on what ^^ he said!

Reactions: mikenbrenda

·
Registered
689 Posts
As Bill stated above I also had a leak at the same place on my 1500 that only showed up over the winter when she was sitting in a cold garage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 1986 goldwing, aspencade, 1200 . Just started leaking anti freeze , "if your sitting on the bike ", right side , under the right cover .
But when the bike warms up , leak goes away .
I was thinking to remove the cover , to see if something is loose ,
My question is ? Should i remove the cover when the bike is warmed up or cold ? Also whats under that cover ? Is the water pump in that area ?
Bike never leaked before , i have the bike now for 10yrs ...
Leak just started about a month ago .
But no leak when the bike is off or parked for period of time
Anti freeze level is still good in the reservoir,
Drips every 2 to 3 seconds , , but when bike warms up, leak stops ....
Any advise ?
Thanks 😊

·
Registered
689 Posts
My 1986 goldwing, aspencade, 1200 . Just started leaking anti freeze , "if your sitting on the bike ", right side , under the right cover .
But when the bike warms up , leak goes away .
I was thinking to remove the cover , to see if something is loose ,
My question is ? Should i remove the cover when the bike is warmed up or cold ? Also whats under that cover ? Is the water pump in that area ?
Bike never leaked before , i have the bike now for 10yrs ...
Leak just started about a month ago .
But no leak when the bike is off or parked for period of time
Anti freeze level is still good in the reservoir,
Drips every 2 to 3 seconds , , but when bike warms up, leak stops ....
Any advise ?
Thanks 😊
My advice is to remove the plastics needed when the bike is cold since you are in Fla. cold brittle plastic shouldn't be a problem, then clean the areas you suspect are leaking. Then try to duplicate the conditions when the leak occurred and look for signs of leakage. Depending on the brand of anti-freeze you have in the bike a cheap black light might show where the leak is. Some anti-freeze brands will show a slight luminence where others won't.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My advice is to remove the plastics needed when the bike is cold since you are in Fla. cold brittle plastic shouldn't be a problem, then clean the areas you suspect are leaking. Then try to duplicate the conditions when the leak occurred and look for signs of leakage. Depending on the brand of anti-freeze you have in the bike a cheap black light might show where the leak is. Some anti-freeze brands will show a slight luminence where others won't.
Wish i was in florida .....im in new jersey..brrrr ....but thank you ...ill check it out ....

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wrote my reply on your handle Fla Wing thinking you were in Florida, if you are in NJ then I would amend my advice only that you try to warm the bike in a heated garage or other heated space because the plastic panels are more brittle in extreme cold. If you can get the bike to about 60 degrees you should be good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wrote my reply on your handle Fla Wing thinking you were in Florida, if you are in NJ then I would amend my advice only that you try to warm the bike in a heated garage or other heated space because the plastic panels are more brittle in extreme cold. If you can get the bike to about 60 degrees you should be good.
Oh ok ...i have it in a garage , ill just warm the garage up , and warm the bike up a bit .....ill keep you posted .....FLA stands for , forever love angela ...lol 😆....i wish id live in florida, making plans to do so ....god willing

·
Registered
689 Posts
Best of luck, as I said above try buying a cheap black light at any auto parts store it may help you detect the leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. Takes about a week in a cold garage before I see a drop. Soon as I saw anti-freeze a 2nd time on the floor I parked it. Don’t want the wind to blow it from out of where it may be collecting onto the rear tire. Took it to my mechanic. I assumed cold could be a factor as well, or water pump.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. Takes about a week in a cold garage before I see a drop. Soon as I saw anti-freeze a 2nd time on the floor I parked it. Don’t want the wind to blow it from out of where it may be collecting onto the rear tire. Took it to my mechanic. I assumed cold could be a factor as well, or water pump.
Yea i think the water pump is under that cover ....but not really sure! Im not seeing any drips on the floor now while its stored away for the winter .....its going to the mechanic as well , i just wanted to remove the cover , just to see if its a hose or clamp that maybe loose , (an easy fix ) plus my rear brake caliber, is staying stuck ....so ill get that fixed as well ..... when they are this old , they need more attention, and tender loving care ....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yea i think the water pump is under that cover ....but not really sure! Im not seeing any drips on the floor now while its stored away for the winter .....its going to the mechanic as well , i just wanted to remove the cover , just to see if its a hose or clamp that maybe loose , (an easy fix ) plus my rear brake caliber, is staying stuck ....so ill get that fixed as well ..... when they are this old , they need more attention, and tender loving care ....
I just remembered, i have rug in my garage 🙃, so wont see the any drips under the bike , Duh !!!...i may roll her out and check the anti freeze level , check the oil , and give it a cold start ....see what happen....lets if time permits today.....ill send a video or pictures . Pleasure chatting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts