Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally rained here yesterday. I rode in to work and it started an hour later nothing heavy just a light soaking rain and it only lasted a couple of hours at best. I get off work at five and the bikes been sitting for ten hours. Anyway I turn on the key and drop the choke a quarter hit the starter and it doesn't attempt to try and start. Naturally I'm the last to leave of all days so no one's there. I m,ake a few attempts to get her started without any luck and the battery is going south with every try. It teases me once or twice but no luck then the battery gives up the fight. I'm roughly 90 yards to my front door from my parking spot and the salvation of a battery charger. Theres a slight grade for the first half of the push and it's not in my favor here's when you really feel the weight of a 15. Half way and I almost give out :mad:just about drop the damn thing to boot. Five minute rest and the battle begins 10 minutes 40 yards up a mild grade and finally on the down slope:eek: 3 minutes and I'm at the door hooking up the charger. All it took was five minutes to get enough charge to start and I was up and running. It's got me scratching my head as to what the issue is:confused::confused:. This did happen when I first got the 15 but it sat in a hard storm over night. Never any other problems with starting extreme heat to cold damp or misty mornings after long runs or short hops nothing at all. It plain hates rain and gets pissy at me for leaving it out. Any ideas the only way I can properly troubleshoot this problem is if the weather cooperates and gives me the same conditions. Tried using the water hose the first time it happened my bike must have thought I was playing and it did finally get it's bath after the experiment was over. At this point I think it was spite for leaving her in those conditions again......Women what can you do:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i get the no start after a hard rain too sometimes, maybe having my 15 for three years and putting over 15,000 miles without doing a tuneup has something to do with it

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First of all you should have taken the battery out of the bike to charge it instead of pushing the bike up a hill. Next thing your battery is probably weak. Also check the rubber boots around your spark plugs, if they are old and cracked water can get in there. But a GOOD battery makes all the difference in the world when starting the bike. Some people complain that their bikes will not start until they release the started button, that's the sign of a bad battery also. Rule of thumb, replace it every 3 to 4 years. I always put mine on a battery tender when I park it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y'all. It has a new battery 2 months old. Fresh tune up at the same time plugs,wires,etc...new compufire alt. 5 months old. Like I said it only does it after rained on and I can't duplicate the problem with a water hose. And joe if I had tools to get the battery out I believe thasts what would have happened. It's not like I enjoy pushing that mule around by hand by myself LOL.........

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
rain = cold = thicker oil.

That makes no difference to a strong battery and good starter. Have your new battery load tested / checked.

Get a good quality gel battery. If you spent less than $80 on your battery...... you didn't get a gel battery.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
How cold was it after the rain? You mentioned using 1/4 choke I believe, have you tried half or full choke under those conditions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery is a new AGM gel......I don't waste time or money when it comes to my scoot......budoka it was about 53 at the start and around 66 after work when it happened. The first time it was a bit cooler but my choke cable didn't work then.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Then I would be sure to check your electrical connections and I would still have that battery load tested. It happens to new batteries too.

Then I would check the amp readings on the starter motor.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
A recent Florida down pour drove rain water into the switches and I had a 'No Start' condition. I moved the kill switch a few times and on the fifth push of the start button the bike started.
Purchased a half cover a short time later.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
How cold was it after the rain? You mentioned using 1/4 choke I believe, have you tried half or full choke under those conditions?
I agree with budoka, a full choke should be used.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went over the scoot good this morning and went over the ignition system cleaning and weather proofing gotta love liquid electrical tape. I looked at my bar switch closer too and that could have also been the problem. It just plain wouldn't fire and I killed the battery. I'm heading to cycle world for a half cover and stop the whole problem.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sure hope you get it figured out. And be sure to let us know what it was. About the tools required to take the battery out, don't you a tool kit on the bike? There should be one in the saddlebag.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only have the box lol....I'm heading to harbor freight in an hour to fill the box. The mechanical shop at work has a full snap on master set but the guys lock it when they leave for the day. My electrtonics tools are way too small. I opened my kill switch yesterday evening and the contacts were in fact dirty. I cleaned alll of the ignition system contact points and used dielectric grease where necessary. There were alot of green connections so starting after sitting in the rain for hours should improve.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had an older Kawasaki KZ1000 police bike that would do the same. I kept a can of dust off in the saddle bags to blow out the switches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently, mine hates the rain, too. Similar issue. Usually starts and runs just fine, but after sitting in a slow soaking rain for a day, it had issues. Started OK, but would die on takeoff. Hard to start, and died a couple more times before stranding me beside the highway. Seems as if it were running off the battery instead of the alternator. After having the bike and trailer towed to a hotel, I pulled the battery and charged it overnight. It was completely drained. This is a 6 month old AGM battery, so it shouldn't be that issue. Had it tested today, and the battery is good.

The last time the bike displayed these problems, it was indeed the battery, and replacing it solved the problem. I thnk 89GL and I have the same issue. Any ideas where water can ingress and cause these kinds of problems?

(Not trying ro highjack the thread. It just looks like the same issue.)
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts