Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum but not new to motorcycles. However it looks as though I will be ordering my first Goldwing.

I like long rides and even on my Yamaha XVS1100 cruiser I can log a couple thousand miles during a trip. I often bring a seat cover so 2-up comfort is required (floorboards and arm rests).

So I am about to place an order for a Goldwing.....

What options do you consider requirements or must haves or should have ordered it when I bought the bike? And what options should be aftermarket later goodies?

Chrome is nice but I don't live for it. Bling is for someone else, I am into functionality.

Some of the things I would require would be for cold weather comfort. Last year I shoveled snow off my driveway before taking the Yamaha out for a trip. Crossing Crowley Lake it was about 20*f making it a little brisk at 70mph. I do have a heated suit.

I have been known to ride until I can't ride anymore so I ride at night as well. Illumination is very important an I am thinking the factory LED lamps would be good.

I have a Droid X phone so all my music is via the MP3 player so I don't need a CD changer. (really do they still make CD's?) Which brings me to my next dilemma, communications.... First off I actually enjoy not talking. I like road noise. But I should consider comms for the Goldwing. Most of my friends use chatterbox or FRS radios and Jims mobile. The Goldy has a CB option..... Is it worth it to install the $800 CB? Can I add or incorporate the chatterbox and the bluetooth most seem to be using? I am really up in the air about this one. Any input and options would be greatly appreciated. I still don't have comms on my current bike and have been skirting the issue every time it comes up. LOL

I spent about 3 months selling Honda a couple years back which is where I got the bug about a Goldwing. I have considered HD, Yamaha and Triumph dressers but everyone keeps comparing their offerings to Goldwing so... maybe I should just get the Goldy.

I have a deal coming up that is going to offer me an early retirement and the Goldwing will be my retirement present to myself. So since I am going to literally be diving in head first any input you guys (and gals) can offer would be appreciated.

I will be ordering a full blown GPS/ABS/AirBag model. And as much as I like Titanium, I think I will order a bumble bee in yellow.

TIA!

Michael
Hopefully a soon to be Winger.

· Super Moderator
8,124 Posts
Welcome to the forums and greetings from Florida.
You've got almost all the bells and whistles; you may want a CB to communicate with others in your group. If you're not into chrome try powder coating. Yes to the LED lights and you certainly want a nice set of highway pegs or boards and a driver's backrest. Amber or white LED's to accent your yellow Wing.
Yellow was used for the GL1800 replica that celebrated 30 years of the Goldwing.

Attachments

· Premium Member
399 Posts
3 'must haves'

1) fog lights LED or Halogen depending on your preferences; a search will illuminate the differences
2) Highway pegs
3) driver's backrest

Congratualtions on your retirement AND congrats on your retirement gift!

· Super Moderator
10,452 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa and congrats on your upcomming Wing purchase.

+1 for what DonaldL suggested. To that I added a rear spoiler w/brake light and Kury trunk rack. I like the way the rack looks and it's nice to carry a bag with rain suits and small item so you don't have to keep opening up the trunk. I like having the additional brake light for safty.

· Registered
88 Posts
I am fairly new to the Goldwing family too. I came over from Harley Davidson. I wanted a bike I could go long distances with comfort and still get around town in style and comfort too.
My factory options are: Fog Lights - Comfort Package - NAV - rear wing with light - Premium sound.
The lights are great! The GPS is not very user informative unless all you want is to know where you are [the maps are usually 2 or 3 years behind] The heated seat and grips and heat on your feet is great!
I think I would like the Air Bag, but I did not get it. The driver backrest is also a necessary item. I have the kuryakin [spelling] and love it. I also have their rear rider arm rests with cup holder.
Good luck and safe riding!! Welcome to the Goldwing family.

· Registered
86 Posts
MicahelW,
I agree with everyone else, but you must go to WingStuff website and get your VIP membership to get the best low prices for all your extra stuff. I would say you would need some extra lights for the rear since you like to ride during the night. Those extra lights in the rear really make a big difference when riding at night.

· Premium Member
24,040 Posts
Agree with Pilot Ron on the Px audio controller, but go with J&M before the Honda one, much better, and it mounts to the right side grab rail so it doesn't interfere with the center stand lift. The built in i/c works just fine once you get the balance of volume and squelch set; CB is only if you want to spend time riding in groups IMO, so your bluetooth idea holds there. Everybody else is pretty well on the mark with their ideas AFAIC

· Registered
148 Posts
What I wish were available.

I bought my GL1800 in June. I just turned 11K miles on it. I didn't want to spend the money for the navigation system and the satellite radio, but I really wanted the ABS. You can't get ABS without the others.
I wish it had an electric windshield. No luck. On board computer for milage would be nice. 12vdc outlet plug would be nice too. A seat you can easily add a back rest for the driver would be a plus. But even after all of my complaining, the darn bike drives like a dream, and I will love it until I get into a situation that I wish I had ABS. I had ABS on my last bike and I really think it saved me once. After several hundred thousand miles on bikes over the last 40 years, hopefully I can manage to "not need" ABS. I want highway pegs, but even with my bionic knee (1 yr ago) I have had so little discomfort (even on the 1000 miles in a day rides I have taken) I haven't yet. I have a home made back rest for when riding single that works great. My wife isn't fat enough though to provide any support when 2 up. Sooo I will be getting a back rest by next spring.
Be safe...:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.