Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These Wings must be some kinda tuff.

For I hope and pray I don't do this again. But it happened twice today.

Wife and I was going into a store and the driveway going into the store has a sharper drop than expected. Took it at a angle. And "BAM", under-carrage of the bike hits. Sounds like I just tore the things in half. Felt it in my teeth. I thought, DAMN, DAMN DAMN.
The most CAREFUL driver on this thing. I baby my motorcycles. What is the hell was I doing.

Then, wife and I got to eat. Took the Wing. Happy as a Pig. Go to leave.
Start out of the parking lot and "BAM" ....... Done the same again. Hit it this time I think, just a little harder than the first.

When I got home, could not stand it. Got a mirror, and shined flashlight under it and seen what hit. Center stand got some of the lick. And the bottom part of something in front of the center stand, maybe the bottom of the damn engine , scratched some of the muffler.
This makes me sick >>>>>

Attachments

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
These Wings must be some kinda tuff.

For I hope and pray I don't do this again. But it happened twice today.

Wife and I was going into a store and the driveway going into the store has a sharper drop than expected. Took it at a angle. And "BAM", under-carrage of the bike hits. Sounds like I just tore the things in half. Felt it in my teeth. I thought, DAMN, DAMN DAMN.
The most CAREFUL driver on this thing. I baby my motorcycles. What is the hell was I doing.

Then, wife and I got to eat. Took the Wing. Happy as a Pig. Go to leave.
Start out of the parking lot and "BAM" ....... Done the same again. Hit it this time I think, just a little harder than the first.

When I got home, could not stand it. Got a mirror, and shined flashlight under it and seen what hit. Center stand got some of the lick. And the bottom part of something in front of the center stand, maybe the bottom of the damn engine , scratched some of the muffler.
This makes me sick >>>>>
My 1500 will bottom out like that riding two up if I don't have 55 lbs in the rear shocks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've been running about 25-28 lbs two up.

Now, this air bag thingy is new to me. Think one of my problems is not enough air, and the other is setting up the bags with just me on them.

Do you suppose to set with both on there if two in riding ? For my figures may be very wrong, but at once, I thought once you aired them up, let say 25 lbs, that is what it was. BUT, seen where the #'s change if you climb one or two up on it. Hope I am explaining this right ....

What is the best way to figure these bags. For not do I NOT want to bottom out, I also want the ride that this bike can offer....

thanks,
jamie

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The amount of air you put into the rear supension will vary depending on how your riding, like Larry said, when I ride two up the air is set to around 55psi, if it's just me I'll set the air for about 35psi. These will vary depending on the weight of the rider or riders, you'll just have to find your sweet spot for the best feel and handeling. I'd suggest going with more air that 25psi if your riding two up, set it to about 55psi and see how it feels. Then adjust accordingly.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Don't know if the underside of the 1500 is like the 1800, but if you have the coolant overflow bottle down below like the 1800, you may want to add a belly pan. Won't help the bottoming out problem, but will give you some added protection should it happen in the future, or if you hit some road trash.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know if the underside of the 1500 is like the 1800, but if you have the coolant overflow bottle down below like the 1800, you may want to add a belly pan. Won't help the bottoming out problem, but will give you some added protection should it happen in the future, or if you hit some road trash.
I will have to look into that ... thanks much !!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts