Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not absolutely certain, but could swear that music heard on my bike at speed changes pitch with a rapid acceleration or deceleration. It seems much more noticable on some music than others. But at times I can hear a definite changing of the pitch of the well known notes as my speed changes. If I am not crazy, I assume this is related to the Doppler effect, or to to go probably too far, the space-time part of physics. I am a musician, so I am pretty sensitive to pitch. Science, not so much. Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone have a scientific evaluation of the phenomom? And no, I have not been smoking anything.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Doppler Effect -

Hey Silver, I'm sure (as a music guy) you realize that the Doppler effect is the result of a sound wave being added to or subtracted from the speed of a moving transmitter. Like a train blowing it's whistle while coming toward you sounds higher in pitch. Then as it passes by, the pitch suddenly appears to go lower.

Are you noticing the change in pitch to be following the engine rpm - inside your helmet using headphones or just listening to the external speakers with no helmet. Naturally, there are filters within all of the automotive/motorcycle stereos specifically tuned to canx out an assortment of engine related noises. If you are hearing the shift in the music pitch caused by the wind direction blowing past your windshield - man you should be working in a music studio somewhere.

At my age, I'm sometimes not even sure if the stereo is still playing until I slow down, much less be able to determine if the music is changing pitch slightly with ground speed and/or engine rpm....:)

Michael

·
Super Moderator
7,606 Posts
I was thinking about the AVC (Automatic Volume Control), as the speed of the bike increases or decreases the radio volume will increase and decrease.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I notice the volume increasing/decreasing with speed, but the pitch a separate thing. It is very subtle. Not 100% sure, but I beleive I have noticed this both with helmet speakers and the audio on the bike. I do have a pretty sensitive ear when it comes to pitch. Just curious if anyone else has noticed the effect. I have spent time in music studios.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I can't see how it would be the Doppler Effect since you and the sound source are moving at the same speed with no change in relative distance between the sound source and your ears. I wonder if air moving by your ear canal at increasing speed could somehow cause a change in your perception of the music pitch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most of the music systems on the Wings are not the most expensive.
It could be a minute voltage change in the system, or just a glitch causing a minute change, or something bleeding into the pitch circuit a Harmonic from somewhere.
By all means I'm not saying it's not in there, because I wouldn't know it if it was.
It would have to be way off for me to hear it.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I'd go with the invasion of a separate harmonic (distortion is a harsh word but it's all I can label it as right now) during the playback. I'm a bit of an audiophile myself, and have some experience with vocal performances and mixing boards. Accoustic interference is the bain of sound engineers. I'd say it's something of that type.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts