Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My trunk lid on my Wing is closed; however, the multi-display shows it being open. I've totally cleaned out the trunk, there's nothing blocking the latches? I've turned the ignition on and off, no joy there either.

When the multi-display is flashing the "trunk open" icon, no other multi-display optiond are available, ex. air temp.

I checked the owner manual and haven't found any clue as to why this would happen.

I appreciate any input you experienced Wing drivers may provide. Thanks in advance.
T-Rex.

Ps. Push come to shove I'll have to take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
You didn't add the baby bumper spaces to the trunk rim did you ? Only reason I ask is because I did and I get a trunk open indication if it's not closed more than I think it is. While the warning is on, will pushing down on the truck lid turn the warning off ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help Requested: Re: Trunk Lid

Thanks Choppin 114 for the info. I tried your method but no positive results. I've manually pushed in the trunk latches on the trunk body, they're not stuck. There is nothing in the lid track, it is clean. I've left the key in the on position, opened the trunk and saddle bags and closed them per the owner's manual...the open-trunk lid still displays on the dash.

Oh, what are baby bumpers?

Is there some way to "re-set" the multi-display? Maybe that would work. My local Honda dealer is closed on Monday, so if I don't solve the problem its to the dealer on Tuesday.

Thanks for the Input.
Ride Safe,
T-rex

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I scanned the service manual for any quick topic on your display reading. Nothing in the trunk section addressed the " Open Trunk " indicator and steps to check. It may be buried in there somewhere, but this book is BIG. Baby Buggy Bumper are four rubber posts that are positioned on the top rim of the base of the trunk. They are supposed to keep the lid aligned and prevent the chaffing along the lower trunk edge. They make a tight fit of the lid, too tight. I'm working on filing them to achieve easier closing without sacrificing functionality. Sorry T-Rex. Haven't had your issue yet. But if and when I do, I'll come to you. So what are you doing tomorrow ? P.S. I suppose you could disconnect the positive side of the battery terminal. That would reset everything.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Every once and a while, mine does the same thing. I simple tap on the trunk or saddle bag with my fist cures it.
These sensors suck and even if I slam my saddle bags shut, I still have to come back and rap it with my fist to jolt the sensor.
Try that and see if it goes away.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Make sure there is nothing in the latch mechinism that may be blocking the it from making contact.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Multi Display Msg: Trunk Open

Thanks guys for the input. I banged the trunk, wiggled it back and forth and so on. Nothing is in the locking mechanism; however, I have not tried to disconnect the battery.

Tomorrow I have an 11 o'clock appointment with an independent dealer to have a trunk light installed (unfortunately I purchased the light Prior to asking the all important question: Is it worth the money?) Dealer wanted one hour of labor to install ($70.00), the independent (who also hooked up my back-off light switch) will charge $50.00. He does good work and doesn't mind if I watch while he does his majic. I'll ask him about the Multi-Display, perhaps he can disconnect the battery and see if the display can be re-set.

Thanks again for the input. I'll report when and if I get the problem solved.
Ride Safe,
T-Rex

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. I banged the trunk, wiggled it back and forth and so on. Nothing is in the locking mechanism; however, I have not tried to disconnect the battery.

Tomorrow I have an 11 o'clock appointment with an independent dealer to have a trunk light installed (unfortunately I purchased the light Prior to asking the all important question: Is it worth the money?) Dealer wanted one hour of labor to install ($70.00), the independent (who also hooked up my back-off light switch) will charge $50.00. He does good work and doesn't mind if I watch while he does his majic. I'll ask him about the Multi-Display, perhaps he can disconnect the battery and see if the display can be re-set.

Thanks again for the input. I'll report when and if I get the problem solved.
Ride Safe,
T-Rex
You're the guinea pig on this one. Sometime other are, but this time it's you. The most valuable part of forum networking is the shared info.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine 2010 is doing the same thing i just tap what ever trunk is on display an it stops. Happens a lot was told this is common when there new. Have to close my trunks quite hard for them not to display. May need to make an adjustment on them.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Standing behind the bike, close the trunk lid then grab the top of the passenger backrest with both hands and pull towards you, If that doesn't work open the thunk lid and unscrew the latched on the trunk lid and slide them down, they won't move much but might be enough to get the warning sign to shut off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved. Pressure applied to right saddlebag caused the flashing trunk-open msg to stop. Go figure, push the saddlebag to get the trunk to cooperate. :)
T-Rex

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Somehow those sensors are linked together, mine did the same thing for about the whole first season. Only the right side, never the left. I close the bags with steady push pressure now and no more trunk open warning (unless some doofuss leaves the trunk unlatched that is:eek:)

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Ah man ! I was going to suggest that T-Rex. The procedure is " tap left ", " tap right ", " thump down " .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Had a similar problem with saddle bags. First I checked the lock mechanism with a screwdriver to trip the lock with lids open to check switch and wiring, that was all ok, so I sprayed a some WD40 or silicone on the locks, and that one little thing solved the problem. Evidently the latches weren't free enough to fully close and make the electrical connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts