Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I have the 2012 Nav ABS package. The problem I'm having is during startup (Open Ceremony) the Multi-Display gets stuck on the Navigation Systems screen. This renders the display unusable for any of the other functions. Ive check the fuses and insured both SD cards were inserted correctly.

Checking to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and has a troubleshooting solution to fix the problem.

Thanks

Will H

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. I don't have a NAV model, so I can't help with your problem. There are lots of guys on here with the NAV, so I'm sure they will be chimingin here shortly. Since it's a new bike, if a check of fuses and connections does not turn up anything, I would take it back to the dealer. In case you have not already done so, check the manual to see if there is anything in there..

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Ditto on what TWW said. I have an '09 with Navi, but have never had the screen freeze like that, and haven't had any customer complaint of the same. If nothing comes up in the manual, do take it back to your dealer and have them perform a diagnostice assessment on it. They might be stumped also, but at least the service writer can contact the tech dept of Honda USA and get their recommendationI don't have my Navi manual handy or I'd check as well. I'll go into the web site and see if I can source something in the service manual. If I find something, I'll post it here.

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Will, there is a reset switch inside the Navi unit in the trunk. Remove the unit from it's mounted position, but do not disconnect the cable leads. Open the unit and in the inner 'black box' there is a small hole near the front left corner of the unit bottom. Turn the ignition key to the on position and wait for about 20 seconds. Using a small pin or suitable object press the reset inside the hole. If the general screen is on, the unit should be fine. If it doesn't, check the backlight operation of the display screen by shielding it from light (simulating darkness). If you have no backlight visible, then I'd definitely return the bike to your dealer as it starts to get fairly complicated from here onward. There could be a part of the combination meter harness loose, or some other trouble shooting issues that are likely better off left to a Goldwing technician. Hope this helps, and yes welcome to the site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Guys,
Thanks for the great info. But it seems to be working now. Since is was should a nice day, I decide to take the bike for a quick spin. The multi-display went through the normal process and all seems normal for now.

I've already made an appointment with the dealer, going to keep a close eye on the issue until then. Side note...getting the rear spoiler with a luggage rack installed, planning on putting some serious miles on the Wing this spring.

Once again, thanks for the info

Will

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I think there was a software update to the NAVI on the 2012's, that night fix your problem. Also, you probably know but you cannot use the Honda line rack with the trunk spoiler. The Honda line rack is small and useless anyway so go with an after market one like Kuryakyn or show chrome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Nav update info Joe. Yep, I'm going with the Kuryakyn rack, it looks pretty sharp. I'll be adding several add-ons throughout the year. I've ready added the cowling lights just waiting for the chrome square cowlings to hit the market to finish up the front end.

Will

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you put a spoiler and luggage rack on the trunklid it makes the lid pretty heavy, some guys have issues with the key fob operation, personally I would go with one or the other, but several wingers go with both. Just my observations. Welcome and where do you reside? :)

·
Banned
3,120 Posts

Welcome from Seattle.

If you edit your profile and put in your city and state.... it will show under your name on the left.

Check out the GWRRA (Goldwing Road Riders Association) if you are looking for other wing riders in your area.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the identical problem with my Nav screen freeze as yours did. The first time it happened I cycled the key and that fixed it. It happened a couple of more times so I reported it to the dealer they put it in my service history to be addressed at a future date. Then one weekend (I think in September or so) it froze for three days, nothing would unlock it so I figured I'd bring in the bike in the winter. Couple of days later, system worked fine without doing anything to it and it has operated fine since. Since I've been riding so much this winter and the screen and Nav have been fine I'm going to leave it alone unless something happens again. Lots of 2012 owners have been reporting rebooting issues with the Nav, that has happened to me twice. The Nav has to come out of the bike and sent out to have new firmware installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts