Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I just got back from a 3500 mile trip through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota and it was one of the most memorable trips of my life. Picked up Linda in Colorado and headed north to Mt. Rushmore and other sights.

I don't want to hear any more about the starkness and desolation of West Texas folks. Wyoming has us beat hands down (Pic 1). Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. Finally arrived in Custer and stayed at the Bavarian Inn. The accommodations were absolutely beautiful. $109 for a room with king bed and jacuzzi with the best and quietest A/C I think I have ever seen in a motel. Really nice and the staff was friendly as all get out.

Day of 9-11 started with a side trip to see Crazy Horse. Since I could see it all from the highway, I refused to pay $11 a head just to get a closer look at unfinished work (Pic 2). Then we moved on to Mt. Rushmore and it was the highlight of the trip. We stayed all day there and shopped and ate and saw all the exhibits. ( Pics 3,4,5,6 )Since it was 9-11, there was a special ceremony planned for the night. It started about 8pm with songs and the reading of the words of the presidents sculpted into the mountain. Then they started slowly to illuminate the faces( Pic 7 ) and we sang the National Anthem and God Bless America. As the ceremony came to a close, all the Veterans, past and present were invited to go down and take part in the closing ceremony. It was a very moving moment and tears flowed freely from almost every eye. A moment of silence was observed for the 9-11 catastrophe and you could have heard a pin drop even though there were at least a thousand people there. In honor and tribute to 9-11, the faces stayed lit all night and the park was kept open also. It was truly a wonderful and yet sad day that I will never forget. As we left with the faces lit and the American Flag lowered to half staff, I couldn't help but shed a tear knowing how far we as a country have strayed from the ideals put forth by these great men. These were our heroes and founders and we owe them a debt of gratitude. (Pic 8)

The next day we went to see The Devils Tower. This is the first National Monument. (Pic 9,10,11). I found it amazing that people come from all over the world to scale the sides of this monument. Funny, but like Dryfus, I had a craving for mashed potatoes later that day.

Then on to Sturgis to sample the flavor of motorcycle madness. Although almost everyone had left town, I saw more leather than on the King Ranch. We ate at the Loud American (Pic 12and13) and I must say it was a very good meal. Do take your ear plugs with you though because there isn't a muffler in that town.

Then after another night at the Bavarian Inn, we headed south for Colorado. Deciding not to drive through the mad house called Denver again, we took a short cut. Well it was only about an inch long on the map and we went through Estes Park on Hwy 34 and through The Rocky Mountain National Park. The road became a ribbon as we climbed higher and finally became a thread as we reached the summit and I have no pictures of that ride. Nobody said it was going that high. I swear I saw the Pearlie Gates at one point and 110% of my attention was focused on staying in my lane and NOT looking left or right. It was a thrill ride and a half.

Back in Buena Vista it was time for a mountain get away to shoot the changing of the leaves which was about 2 weeks early this year. I left the road and trekked up to a little opening to get some shots and got a good scare. Were you ever doing something and felt like you were being watched? I had that feeling and after about 10 minutes I turned to find this guy giving me the eye. Not all black bears are black and very carefully I made a cautious retreat. I swore I had just walked right where he was and that did nothing for my nerves. (Pics 14,15,16,17).

The trip back home to Texas started in 38 degree weather and ended in 92 degree weather. This part of the trip was uneventful and long. So, there you are folks. Another trip, another set of memories and until next time, I bid you peace.

Isaac

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
Stunning pictures as always Isaac. There is no doubt that Rushmore & the surronding area is one of the gems of our country. Glad You & Linda had a great time.

PM sent your way.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Great report Isaac....haven't heard from you in a while. Now I know why....Great report

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Thanks for the views, both visual and mental! Still sorry we didn't make the short trek over to the Tower and Crazy Horse (even as unfinshed as it was then) in 2000. Glad it was you behind the lens with that Yogi too!;)

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an addendum to my story, I was fascinated by the detail of the faces. Most especially how the eyes and pupils were sculpted. So, I thought you might like to see how it was done with each face. Here are those shots..Isaac

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was out that way 4 or 5 years ago but did not have time to get to the tower, my niece was getting married. How is the road getting there paved?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was out that way 4 or 5 years ago but did not have time to get to the tower, my niece was getting married. How is the road getting there paved?
It was asphalt all the way. A regular 2 lane highway right to the base of the Tower.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
Great report and great pictures Isaac.
Very moving description of the ceremony at MT. Rushmore
Hadn't seen you on here in a while and was wondering how things were with you.
Looks like all is well.

One thing I remember about Texas, was going through Air Force Basic Training at Lackland AFB. Was our T.I. telling us not to bother going AWOL, because they'd be able to see us running for a week.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great report and great pictures Isaac.
Very moving description of the ceremony at MT. Rushmore
Hadn't seen you on here in a while and was wondering how things were with you.
Looks like all is well.

One thing I remember about Texas, was going through Air Force Basic Training at Lackland AFB. Was our T.I. telling us not to bother going AWOL, because they'd be able to see us running for a week.
Thanks Ron...Thats funny about seeing you running for a week. I know of some places out in West Texas where if you stand in the saddle, you can almost see the waves breaking down on the coast. Take care...Isaac

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Thank you for the photos. I can say we were there this year as well. Good to see you back on the forum. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Great post/great report...Great pics Its why we do what we do!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the narrative and pictures Isaac. We were up in the Black hills about 4 years ago in around the end of June . Want to go up again with the Trike

Ride with the angels surrounding you.
God bless,
Angelmammaw

1 - 20 of 20 Posts