Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Was looking at what else 27 grand would buy. Full size trucks, cars, trailers ect.. How much profit do you think Mother Honda makes on a Wing? Most of the materials are not state of the art like the Garmin GPS, 10 year old designed Motor and transmission and other fine parts that they use. I think it's is like going to a very expensive fine dinning restaurant and getting very little food. Their cars & trucks seem to take a lot more raw material to me to make but the cost price point is very close to the same. What do you guys think? Looks like they charge what the market will pay. Oh by the way Just traded in Harley CVO for the 2012 Wing level 3 and they are even worse. Big $$$$

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Went to a French restaurant last year and felt the same: A lot of fluff for a lot of money. When it comes to a Goldwing, however, you still get the most stock bang for the bucks.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Congrats on getting a 2012 Wing, ride safe and enjoy.
Post a photo when you have a chance.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello eldon, welcome to GWOF. well i didn't want to spend the money on a new wing so i got a used one, it will do for now

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well Eldon, I can't speak for sure for US dealers, but up here (where I'm one) at full list (which nobody pays) a Top level GL retails at $30,999. Some dealers get away with charging (Honda's recommended) freight and PDI of $810 on top. Now there is a substantial set up time on a Wing (just like any full dress tourer like your former CVO) so it is a very real cost to the dealership, just how much they are willing to bend on that cost is between you and your salesperson and/or their manager. At full list the margin is under 8% here...you can do the math, but it's really nothing to write home about. The margin on a pair of jeans is usually around 50%; do you haggle the clerk about the price of a pair of them?;)
Your CVO if it was a '09 model retailed for $45k up here, and the HD boys do NOT entertain 'offers' on those puppies...you pay the sticker and that's it, or you don't get the bike. Sure they'll throw in a nice HD jacket and chaps but they've also got about 6 grand in profit to play with, plus the fact that they know you'll be back (even most times before the bike leaves the dealership) dropping a ton of coin on Screaming Eagle parts and accessories to boot. All of which they realize about 30+ points on. I will install accessories for no charge if you purchase them from me (I eat the labour) but if I get ground on the price of the goodies, somebody's paying for the install:rolleyes:
I'd be kind of curious as to what you got for your CVO as a trade in, and '09 would be $25,000 at best up here, but understand if you don't want to talk about it. Em, if you think the Wing's engine is dated at 10 years in production in it's current rendition, what's that air cooled v-twin plant in a Harley?:D yeah, I know it's traditional

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the GWOF. Where do you call home?? Post some pics for us to see your new ride. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Congratulations on your new Wing. With the price of somethings you just have to bit the bullet. It is what it is. In 5 years time who cares what it cost, you will have all that enjoyment of your rides to look back on. Eric

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
:confused:Was looking at what else 27 grand would buy. Full size trucks, cars, trailers ect..
One big difference is that when you pay 27K for a truck and fire it up and drive it off the show room floor, the value drops by about 20%. Buy a GW and drive it off the show room floor and its worth 99% of what you paid for it. Its my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really to upset on the fun per dollar thing, but was just wondering about what Honda corp. thinks about when they set the price margin between what the materials cost them and what they charge for the bike. R&D is way past paid for. Do you suppose they look at the Harleys and figure if that's what they get we should get at least this much too? I am not trying to cut the dealer profit out at all, but was just thinking about the raw cost to build the bike by Honda. I know I don't ask others how much it really cost to make their items but was just a little curious on this one. What your best guess?

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Eldon welcome along to the GWOF & congrats on the new ride. Take some time to add some info to your profile & post some pics of the Wing. We like pictures.

Your question has been asked many times I'm sure. Bottom line is old Economics - Supply/Demand. They can so they do.

Besides, all things are relative. Think about this. We whine about the price of a gallon of gas, then hop off the bike & buy a bottled water that if you added the cost would be more than the gas. Hmmmm.:confused: Anyway enjoy the ride & greetings again from the Keystone state.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well honestly, if you paid 27 grand you paid too much. I just bought mine for $23757. Still a big bite but a nice chunk less than 27.

·
Registered
190 Posts
...point is, if you just walk in and say "give me one of those" you'll wind up paying too much .. not matter bike, truck, car camper .. whatever.

AND the basic rule of thumb is NEVER pay MSRP.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
For the last roughly 5 years, the powersports division of Honda (as well as the other Japanese OEMs) has been in drastically red ink; more so in Canada than the US but still bad. The actual m/c division of Harley Davidson has not faired much better, and actual corporate profits/losses, if you look at the "actual" vehicle registrations from MMIC and not what they report in the board room, (which includes thousands of units sitting in dealerships but not actually sold to consumers) and HD hasn't faired much better. It's the other divisions of the companies (Honda's auto side, HD's apparel and accessories/finance, as well as the multitude of other divisions they all operate) that keeps the corporations solvent (or at least afloat). Harley also has the dubious honour of having a CEO that is NOT a motorcycle man, but a bean counter (and a poor one at that) only. That's why the movers and shakers at Harley are investigating so many other options for building their bikes (can you say 'off shore'?) and for support manufacturing. It's also why Honda shifted porduction of the Wing, VTX and several other entities back to the newer, more efficient plant in Kamamatsu. Marysville was no longer large enough or efficient enought to continue and an upgrade was actually more expensive (for the end result) than the build on the new facility in Japan. When things finally do get turned around in Japan (not just for Honda) after all the resultant quake issues, production will actually increase in efficiency and consumer pricing wil benefit. Just not overnight. If you want to draw a parallel, look at General Motors. While it may appear nice on the surface to keep producing the iconic Corvette and the still popular (in it's new guise) Camaro, those two vehicles alone cost the company more in R&D and production costs than the rest of the lines do (percapita sales). How's that for efficient?
Unless you are a senior exec (and maybe not even then) does anyone have a hard and fast figure just exactly any motorcycle costs the manufacturer to build before it's released to the consumer stage. There are so many contributing factors than none of us would ever fully understand how they come up with a net cost. I know what I see on my invoices for the whole product line, but I have no real idea what the breakdown sheets in the individual models actually say.
I do know from a lifetime of business experience that the facets are many and varied. If a widget costs (in straight dollar layout) $.25 and you sell it for $.33 that's a gross proffit of 25% on cost. On selling that drops to 20%; same dollars different outlook. However that is not your actual cost. Add in handling, staffing, building and utility figures (that's called overhead btw) and suddenly that margin drops drastically. Most businesses cost about 15% of their sales figures just to keep the doors open. That leaves either 5 or 10% of that original margin to survive on. Then out of that you have to pay taxes, which at corporate levels can exceed 40%. That leaves nickels and dimes folks. And that's before you hire an accountant to tell you whether you made a living or not. That's very basic, and it's not all that attractive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't put a price on happiness

I figured I meet some smart people here on the Wing forms. I agree with the rest of you. I think the real cost of something is when you don't do it and at the end you look back and say I wish I would of. This is not a dress rehearsal no do over’s. I am glad that I am doing the Wing thing now!!! Nice to talk with you all.:)

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Way to go Eldon. That sums it up pefectly.

Enjoy & Ride Safe

·
Registered
258 Posts
Built In Obsolesance

Both car and motorcycle manufactures practice built-in obsolesence to a certain extent in MHO; However, Honda and a few other motorcycle builders engineer and build their bikes to last. Look how many old Wings are still running on the highways, look at the resale values for a well kept, high mileage Wing...Super.

In a perfect world I would have bought a new Gold Wing back in 2002 when I again started to ride motorcycles. From 2002 I went from a Honda VTX to Triumph Rocket to Kawasaki Voyager...with a Honda Rebel, Honda KLR and a Kawasaki 900 SE in between. In 2010 bit the bullet and got a basic level wing, almost 20K. In the past year I've invested another 2K in comfort and, for me, function items, no frills (Chrome, bras, lights, etc). Yep! I've spent some dollars on bikes; however, if I would have gotten the Wing first I probably would of had enough money to find a fifth wife (Thank God for Motorcycles).

When you ride you're going to have to pay...now or later! Go with quality and enjoy the experience. IMHO Enjoy life and ride when you can.
T-Rex

1 - 20 of 26 Posts