Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone getting above 40mpg on their GL 1800? I cant seem to get above 36mpg. I dont think I'm driving aggressively; I recently changed out my tires front: (Metzler 880 with 36psi) rear: (Kumho Ecsta RF:41psi). I dont get it! Anyone getting better mpg and/or have some suggestions as to how can I boost my mpg?

Thank you, Darrell

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I usually get 40....maybe 41 consistently. 41psi on both tires. I do keep my RPM's down....very rarely more than 65mph.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Thats the ball park figure for me in Central Texas. 37 to 38.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First rode the 1800 in Florida,,mpg 36 to 38...ridding in Ohio was a little better ave. 39...read plug setting should be 39 to 43...I checked them at 48,,set them at 40...it ran better and ave. over 40mpg on every check...in June I put on the c/t (R) 43psi & 709 on the front at 36...I've been ave.42 mpg ,,corrected @ 3 percent...

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Darrell, riding style has a great deal to do with the mileage you get. Like Ref said he keeps RPMS down. A couple observations are key.

Proper tire pressure all the time
Speed around 65
Do not blip the throttle at stops
Smooth pull outs at stops
Set the cruise when you can
Steady speed when you can
Conservtive shifting (again staying away from high RPMS)

Try these things & I'll bet you can get 40 mpg. Of course then the Wing won't be near as fun to drive.

I remember going on our Cross Country trip on our 1500 & the 1st 4-5 days going around 65 all the time getting good fuel mileage, then we hit Texas & the South West. I said to the Little Lady "Oh well I guess we'll just have to stop for fuel a bit more often." Something about cruising along at 75-80 feels good on an open road.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
at what rpm are you shifting gears

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I'm almost always in the 40-42 range, but I don't ride aggressively (usually stay within 5 of the posted limit). Don't get to do much winter driving, but when I do the mileage suffers by about 5mpg.

·
Registered
405 Posts
As previously mentioned, at some point in the year, a lot of stations switch over to winter blend which usually results in lower mpg. I don't know if your neck of the woods does or not. Also I believe most get lower when using gas that has ethanol in it. When I am in the south I am hard pressed to find a station without it.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
at what rpm are you shifting gears
I try to keep shifts between 2500 and 3000 always. IMO the rpm's mean more to a smooth shift than anything.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is anyone getting above 40mpg on their GL 1800? I cant seem to get above 36mpg. I dont think I'm driving aggressively; I recently changed out my tires front: (Metzler 880 with 36psi) rear: (Kumho Ecsta RF:41psi). I dont get it! Anyone getting better mpg and/or have some suggestions as to how can I boost my mpg?

Thank you, Darrell
Central Florida here. Normal riding on my 2010 Wing, 36 mph; however, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway the Wing got better than 41 mph, how fast do you go? :)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I run 70+ most of the time and get about 44 Cdn or just under 37 US. Only time I ride more conservatively is if I have longer distances between filling stations and need to conserve.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if I'm messing with the Harleys on the Highway 35-36 pulling my trailer 35-36 If I'm traveling 35 -40 I would rather play with the Harleys, But really 35 -40 to many vriables I sure have fun, hope you do to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It seems to me as the air gets colder--and more dense--that my mileage has gone down. Doesn't the system add more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio consistent? I would think any system with a O2 sensor is gonna add fuel as air temp goes down.

When it's warm out I can get 40+ MPG if I stay under 3k RPMs--once it gets cool then mileage drops. Cold air sucks gass. :p

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think the size of the windshield may also effect the mpg. I have a Windbender on the lowest setting, someone with an oversized shield has more frontal area moving through the air. It is like carrying extra weight, it just takes more power to move it down the road.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
im around 34-36 , but im a little hard on it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I will try some of the suggestions. I think I'm shifting arund 3,000-3,500 rpms. Might be part of the prob. Tires are new, so I know thats not it and inflated to specs (Kumho RF:41psi rear and Metzler:36 psi front). I might be starting out a little aggressively too. Its awefully hard not give it the gas with so much power. I'm frequently struck by how much power this bike has. As I tell others "its a crotch rocket camoflaged as an old mans bike."
Darrell

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.