Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Wing has factory installed audio but not satellite radio. Two of my helmets are hard wire equipped with JM headsets.
- can I use either an MP3 or Ipod player with what I have?
- does the ouput from the player go into the bike installed audio system or does the output go into the helmet through the lower wire/cord?
- any special adaptors needed?
- which is better MP3 or Ipod?

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Good questions and several answers depending on how you decide to approach this.
I will let others explain the details of 1800 but as for your 2nd question...

I have had 3 or 4 mp3 players and currently own an Itouch (all the ability except the phone and monthly bill).

MP3 are not created equal for what I have experienced. Many have decibel limits where as I can't hear the music at all when riding on a lawn mower. The Itouch does have the volume so I can listen while mowing if I so choose. Obviously, that is plenty on a bike. But as I don't have a decibel meter to test how much is enough on what bike, this is how I decided the Itouch is right for me. I use it to find gas, restaurants etc. while out and about as well, so the cost is justified to me.I also use several apps at work.
I believe the quality is also somewhat superior to other MP3s I have owned.

Now the down side. It's a bit pricey, especially if you leave it out and it gets stolen.
I do have a friend who owns an 1800 and bought a $30 mp3 and he says it works ok.
Don't know but guessing he bought at Wally World. Another positive is that they are smaller and take less space in glove box.

You will have to decide price, quality and other requirements if any are important to you.

Good luck. there is no perfect answer or we would all have done the same thing.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
- can I use either an MP3 or Ipod player with what I have?
YES

- does the ouput from the player go into the bike installed audio system or does the output go into the helmet through the lower wire/cord?
When you connect it to the AUX wire that is located in the left fairing pocket and push the AUX button the radio it comes through the radio, turn the volume all the way on your unit and then use the radio volume control knob to control the volume

- any special adaptors needed?
No special adaptors needed, your bole should have a cord that connect under the left pocket.

- which is better MP3 or Ipod?
I use an MP3 but maybe an IPOD might hold more,

J&M has a unit that pulgs into the wire harness abd sits in your trunk so you can use the handlebar controls to control your IPOD as if you had the Honda line CD player, Also you can load this unit with a memory card with misic and no need for an MP3 or IPOD
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/29640_J_M_NEW_Honda_GL1800_Digital_Music_Player_Changer

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Hey Joe, are you ok?

Wondering about you watching the weather. Hope the floods didn't move you to Tucson.
Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to you Frankie.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I use a iPod Nano. I put it in the side pocket connect it to the jack and put it on shuffle. It will run all day without a charge and then I charge it when I get back home or to the hotel.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the JMMP3. It goes where the CD changer goes, in the trunk under the little compartment. It plugs into the CD plug under the seat. You have full control of the MP3 with the handle bar controls. Each folder holds 99 songs with 10 available folders. It operates just like the CD changer does. I have close to 700 songs and 6 folders. Very easy to use and you still have the Aux. plug for something else if you need it. Doesn't really cost more than a good MP3. It is plug and play. there is also a bikemp3 which is about the same thing except for the color. Both will use either a SD card or thumb drive. Which ever you prefer

dd

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a little late to this post but I bought the Soundgate interface that plugs into the CD pigtail under the seat. It basically is what I've really been looking for. You can preamp the volume with the Ipod, the Ipod charges all the time it's plugged in, and you can switch between the various tracks of songs you've built for the Ipod and change songs using the CD controls. It was a bit pricey from the Honda dealer, could've saved about $50-60 dollars online. The Ipod can be placed in a secure location and locked in the trunk or in my case in one of the passenger's side cubbies. I've got the J & M Headsets with intercom and the sound is great.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
As others have said, plug the Ipod or Mp3 into the jack inside the left faring pocket. Turn its volume up about 2/3 and select AUX on your controls. The Mp3 plays through the System AUX and volume is controlled by the up/down volume on the left handle bar. The volume is dependent on the volume level out of the Mp3. As stated in another post, put it on shuffle or whatever and it will play fine. And if you have a CB, it will mute when called or calling out. But it does play through the GW System. :)Isaac

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just bought an FM modulator on Ebay for $25,-. I will hardwire the signals from my iPhone into the FM antenna cable and hence eliminate all the noise on a wireless and get crisp clear music out from the FM. Well worth the extra wiring and hidden result.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Is this aux lead hiding somewhere? I do not have one in my left pocket :confused:
As are we. Perhaps if we knew what vehicle your "left pocket" was contained in, we could help. You listed 'scooters' in your bio but we are talking full grown motorcycles here.:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
As are we. Perhaps if we knew what vehicle your "left pocket" was contained in, we could help. You listed 'scooters' in your bio but we are talking full grown motorcycles here.:confused:
A few details would help. :rolleyes:

I'm on an '06 GoldWing..... my scooter :D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Is this aux lead hiding somewhere? I do not have one in my left pocket :confused:
If supplied, and I think it should be on an 06, look in the left faring pocket. There should be a single wire with a male stereo jack on the end for plugging into your MP3 or other device. It plugs into the headphone jack on your Mp3. If its not in the pocket, remove the pocket and check underneath. Its nothing complex, just a stereo input jack.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It could be like my 200 was when I got it. When they serviced it they forgot to connect the aux plug/wire. It was in the saddle bag

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
It could be like my 200 was when I got it. When they serviced it they forgot to connect the aux plug/wire. It was in the saddle bag
Ole Dirtdobber just might have hit it on the head. Come to think of it, I have heard several people say that the aux plug wasn't connected. If you have one in the trunk, it would be about 8 inches long with a white/flat connector on one end and a stereo plug on the other. It connects to Connector C-35 (3P-NAT)(flat white connector) just above where the radiator hose connects to the radiator. You might have to remove the Top Shelter (plastic).If you have a Service manual its shown on ETM 22-9, picture 46. Wiring schematic is ETM 18-2. Its not that far from the left faring pocket...Good call Dirtdobber...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ole Dirtdobber just might have hit it on the head. Come to think of it, I have heard several people say that the aux plug wasn't connected. If you have one in the trunk, it would be about 8 inches long with a white/flat connector on one end and a stereo plug on the other. It connects to Connector C-35 (3P-NAT)(flat white connector) just above where the radiator hose connects to the radiator. You might have to remove the Top Shelter (plastic).If you have a Service manual its shown on ETM 22-9, picture 46. Wiring schematic is ETM 18-2. Its not that far from the left faring pocket...Good call Dirtdobber...:)
Thanks ODD and DW. I don't have a lead in the pocket. I'll dig around underneath, see if I can find it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You only have to remove the pocket itself, nothing more.
The good part of Honda almost all their connectors are different so plugging into the right 1 is rather easy. It will take about 10 minutes

·
Registered
55 Posts
On my 08 wing it was tucked up underneath some other wires under the left pocket. It only took about 3 minutes to find it once I really look for it. If you are like me, if I don't see it staring me in the face, I get upset and wont really look for it! I did and found it right where the manual told me it was. It was just hid a little.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I'm a little late to this post but I bought the Soundgate interface that plugs into the CD pigtail under the seat. It basically is what I've really been looking for. You can preamp the volume with the Ipod, the Ipod charges all the time it's plugged in, and you can switch between the various tracks of songs you've built for the Ipod and change songs using the CD controls. It was a bit pricey from the Honda dealer, could've saved about $50-60 dollars online. The Ipod can be placed in a secure location and locked in the trunk or in my case in one of the passenger's side cubbies. I've got the J & M Headsets with intercom and the sound is great.
i also got the soundgate,it works awesome,much better sound than using the aux,also works with any ipod,i keep an ipod classic connected to it in the trunk all the time,it keeps it charged and secure

1 - 20 of 29 Posts