Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 wing and have been looking at digital music players. I recently found one that it quite small and easily fits into the CD player compartment in the rear center trunk. I have seen 2 models around ($109 & $150.) Apparently they each use small SD 4-8Gig plug-in memory cards, they say that the units plug right into a cord in the wing's compartment, hold around 800+ songs, connect by USB to your PC and you can use your handle bar CD controls to change songs etc. It seems likle a much better idea than installing a CD player.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions regarding these units that they can share?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
mp3 player

I am using a J&M unit on the 2008 wing I have ,only thing i did different was used a longer UUSB cable and routed it to the left front pocket so I can change out music SD cards without going into the bottom of the trunk, just fed the cable from the trunk to the pocket ,made a hole routed cable inside and sealed with black rtv to waterproof the openings. TheJ&M is working great!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a J&M at Christmas. On really good discount at Wingstuff.com right now. CD buttons do all the control. Follow the directions exactly on the directory set-up on the memory card - it has to simulate multiple CD's and any variation will cause the unit to not read it properly. I got a bad memory card with my unit - once I figured that out it worked easily. I have a whine right now when listening to the "CD" unit at the same time the cruise control is engaged - have to trouble shoot this still.

I'd get one again even with the challenges noted above. We travel in the mountains and loose good radio all the time, sound is better than the radio anyhow, and I didn't have a CD player to start with - which are a lot more money.

·
Super Moderator
14,418 Posts
I also can recommend the J & M unit. Installed it after Christmas and have yet to listen to everything I put on the memory card. I placed it back there where the cd player should be. Drilling a hole for the cable was my only personal issue. That's the first hole I've drilled in my bike. Just the thought of drilling holes in a $20,000 bike gave my the shivers. The sound is very good and I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
http://www.bikemp3.com/main.sc
Complete system or just the MP3-this seems to be the best one, IMHO. May be one of the 2 you have found as it is $109.
If you choose this one-it's suggested mounting place is in the side of the trunk-not in the pocket.
If you mount this one or any other in the pocket under the trunk floor, you will need to drill a hole in the trunk for the harness to pass through as the bikes CD harness connector is under the seat.
I was lucky enough to get the bikeMP3 unit on a special introductory price for the newest unit just introduced within the last couple weeks. A few of us were allowed to trade in any MP3 player we had been using for the new unit for $39.99.
I have also dealt w/ http://www.sierra-mc.com/ on many occasions. Sierra is now handling the BikeMp3 player and the entire system also.
Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses so far!

tfdeputydog: I live in MN and have my cycle in storage for the winter (so can't look at it right now,) but guess I was lead to believe that there was already a connection cord in that lower pocket. I found/noticed a video regarding how to install (side mount) the unit. This sounds like the way to go rather than drilling a large hole in the pocket of the trunk. It sounds like you got a great deal on your unit with the trade in--wish I would have heard about that! You mention "the entire" system.....is one of the two I've found not complete?? Is a connection wire included?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks for all the responses so far!

tfdeputydog: I live in MN and have my cycle in storage for the winter (so can't look at it right now,) but guess I was lead to believe that there was already a connection cord in that lower pocket. I found/noticed a video regarding how to install (side mount) the unit. This sounds like the way to go rather than drilling a large hole in the pocket of the trunk. It sounds like you got a great deal on your unit with the trade in--wish I would have heard about that! You mention "the entire" system.....is one of the two I've found not complete?? Is a connection wire included?
1st- let's make sure we're talking the same pocket here. I'm talking about the one that's under the floor of the trunk on the back of the bike. Not the left front "glove" box that has a plug-in for the AUX system.
If we're together now-there is no hole(unless you already have a OEM CB installed) and the CD connection cord used for the bikeMP3 is under the seat, not in the trunk pocket.
2nd'ly- The "whole" system I spoke of is the GL2way as shown here:
http://bikemp3.com/GL2WAY-Advanced-CB-System-HGW-CBI-V01.htm Available from the same company that makes the BikeMP3 player.
There are videos of the installation procedures for both the BikeMP3 unit and the GL2way on their web sight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tfdeputydog: Yes we are speaking about the same animal. I actually just got off the phone with the supplier (from link you provided) and he explained the unit(s) and my options. Apparently the "upgraded" MP-3 model has only been on the market for a short time--but it sounds like the way to go. I will probably order one from them--but will wait a few more weeks (10-12) until the weather warms up a bit. (I am not interested in a CB or GL2Way unit.)

Thanks so much for your help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts