Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wisdom of the Wingers has won me over.
It came down to a GL1800 ABS or a BMW K1299LT, and the advice of a BMW-riding friend decided it. He said, "Paul, I love my Beemer, but when I'm your age I'm gonna ride a Wing."
So now, I'm shopping for the best used ABS Wing I can afford... probably an '05 or '06.
We ride all year long down here in Dixie, and I want to make the most of it.
I bought my first bike 15 months ago at the age of 66, four months before I retired from CNN. Since then I've traded up through a Suzuki S40, a V-Star 650, and a Suzuki C50T to a C90T. Now, I think I'm ready for a real bike.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
The journey of a thousand rides together, or in spirit, begins with a first post. I also am an apprentice here. A returning rider after a 28 year hiatus, I spent 3 years on a cruiser and decided that if AARP deems me a member I should ride a Goldwing. I personally find this board informative, fun and always inclusive. I'm sure the members can't wait to pick out the perfect bike for you. Greetings from the " Old Dominion ".

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Paul,

Good to have you on board. Hope your search goes well for your new ride. Get out and get on one somewhere & do a test ride, this is alot of motorcycle & you'll feel strange at 1st coming from what you have now. ENJOY ENJOY.

Again welcome from PA.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
You will enjoy the Wing, I had a 2006 Wing with ABS and it was a Good Bike I traded it in about four months ago and I am now riding a 08 new zero mile with out ABS and I like it better. Just could not get use to the ABS,Always felt spongey to me. Live to Ride Ride to Live

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome OBF quite a number of OBF's here on the site,you got me by one year.At our age we should have all the creature comforts.A lot of us have worked a life time
and this is our time to play and treat ourselves,we deserve it. You gotta have some Kahonas to start riding at 66 , good on you my friend, you're goin to love your new ride and wish you'd bought one years ago.Let us know how you make out and what you find okay.

-Robert-

·
Registered
449 Posts
Paul, first off, WELCOME! I'm a 53 year old fart with a few pains here and there from the stupid stuff I did in the past. And some of it is not that far in the past. After getting a Wing I see nothing wrong with alittle comfort will you ride. In fact, I find myself preferring the Wing over the other 2 choices. Plan to Unload at least one of the "others" this Spring. Hope you find your Dream Wing Soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. You are going to love the Wing. Ride safe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wisdom of the Wingers has won me over.
It came down to a GL1800 ABS or a BMW K1299LT, and the advice of a BMW-riding friend decided it. He said, "Paul, I love my Beemer, but when I'm your age I'm gonna ride a Wing."
So now, I'm shopping for the best used ABS Wing I can afford... probably an '05 or '06.
We ride all year long down here in Dixie, and I want to make the most of it.
I bought my first bike 15 months ago at the age of 66, four months before I retired from CNN. Since then I've traded up through a Suzuki S40, a V-Star 650, and a Suzuki C50T to a C90T. Now, I think I'm ready for a real bike.
IT'S DONE -- CALL ME A WINGER.
A week ago I dragged my trailer from GA to OH and a beautiful, candy red, '04 GL1800 ABS followed me home.
This past week of test rides has been a genuine eye-opener. The first day out, I really wondered if I had overstepped my abilities-- heavy, powerful, bulky, so many systems. Today, she's the most comfortable, agile, responsive bike I've ever ridden.
She's red, she's lovely to look at, and she's completely at home in the Georgia sunshine. I've decided to call her Scarlet O'Honda.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
SWEET! As we would sadly share in your sorrows, so too, do we GLADLY SHARE IN YOUR HAPPINESS. " After all, tomorrow is another riding day . " Have fun Rhett. Funny how her size shrinks with the miles we put on her.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I Like a man who sees what he wants and goes for it no BSing around,I'm like that too.
Congrats on your beautiful Wing,she's a very fine ride.A question: I'm interested in your front wheel locking device on the trailer, is it factory made? Or did you have it made up?
I trailer my 85 LTD and customized my ATV trailer for hauling the bike but haven't got the
front wheel lock yet.Any info would help,One more question,does your trailer tilt to load and unload or do you use a ramp? I'm set up to do either way but like the ramp best. Thanks.

-Robert-

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Nice Wing, My Wife and I have a red 08 Wing That we just bought last year new,Traded our 06 Wing in did not care for the ABS and Our new one has the Navi.
You are right here in Dixie we can ride year around that is why I love the South. along with the good southern cooking. Enjoy your wing

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey OBF

Nice looking bike you should enjoy the heck outa that. Also it is good to see another VR member has changed over and yes it was hard to sell the Volusia but man am I glad I found this wing I love it and so does the better half. You came to Ohio to get it and didn't even stop to say Hi,LOL. Where in Ohio did you go? I live in northeast Ohio and would have been glad to put you up for a night or at least a good meal. Enjoy the bike and ride safe. Next time to Ohio drop a line and we might be able to get together. VR member also and late bloomer 56 when I bought my 1st bike Oldschool54.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Good on ya OBF and welcome to the forum and the Wing world. Also good for you covering your tag on the van. Many miles of happy riding awaits you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts