Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be pulling my trailer down with two bikes next week end and need to know which route is the best. 64 west to 81 one option. The other is 85 south to 40 west which 40 has quite a lot of mountain passes with large trucks to content with. Just wondering if anyone (prior truck driver) had any in put on the best way when pulling a trailer. do not want to blow up my little truck.

·
Premium Member
23,785 Posts
Wish I could answer that question for you, Fox. I'll be down on Hwy. 40 about May 12th for a group meet in the Deals Gap area. If you make it and get settled , think about a ride around that area in May.

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Can't help you on the routing either, but have to ask you a couple things. What have you got (truck make and model) for your tow vehicle, and what kind of trailer and expected weight loaded? I'm guessing on bike is a Wing but what else? Is the trailer enclosed or flat deck; single or tandem axel?
I see some really foolish things at times. Like old gents pulling 35' fifth wheels (Avions, Montanas...real deluxe heavyweights) with 2x4 half ton pickups:eek:.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moving to ride

I am making a move at 50 years old with kids grown and the wife and I want to maximize the riding years. Va Bch just didn't offer the riding opertunites that TN has. We also are looking forward to buying a place with some land for the dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. I will definetly be ready for gathering and rides of any kind.
My truck is a Chevy s-10 with the 4.3 liter engine and will pull my 5 x 10 open trailer w/2 bikes with a combined weight of 1500lbs. I will add a few hundred lbs more with stuff. My little truck will pull it with ease but will have to be out of OD when pulling the hills of the mountains. I will just tuck in behind an 18 wheeler. Rt 40 has a section about 15 miles long just at the NC TN boarder where the big trucks have issues and the road is narrow.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I would take 85 to 40 if i were you ! I don't think you will have a problem with the truck you have , but i wouldn't add too much more weight than the bikes ! Good luck !!

·
Registered
294 Posts
The wife and I spent 3 days in Chattanooga about 2,3 years ago for one of my grandson's little league baseball tournaments. Great city. I wish we would have more sightseeing time. There is a really nice park on the river, but I'm not sure exactly where. I do know it was near a Cheeburger, Cheeburger place. I really want to go back.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Can't help you with routes but I can welcome to the GWOF and to the Deep South. I live about an hour from Chattanooga. Great Motorcycle city.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Good Luck with the move. Enjoy the new digs.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
need to google I-40 and or Black mountain. There was another rock slide there last week if I remember right. Every few years it is bad enough to block a road so you might check to make sure it is an option.

As for s-10, it's not that bad.
Not a trucker but driven it or ridden many, many times. Trucks have to stay in slow lane and it is pretty well patrolled so most keep the speeds in check.
As for rock slides, I don't worry about them but I stay in the middle or fast lane just in case. If rocks make it to road, it will back up the slow lane and those not paying attention will hit the brakes. (never seen an accident btw, everyone pays attention and realizes some are faster than others.)

Haven't been to Knoxville in past year but there has been alot of construction coupled with speeds over speed limit. Black mountain is easy compared to Knoxville to me. It is manageable but be prepared.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.