Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the plunge Kumo 195/55/16 run flat.
Rides nice slow speed on cracks is different but over all I am happy.

Later All
Army Boy

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Go ride some twisties and let us know how it handles

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just can't do it. If it was the way to go......They would come from the factory that way. Car tires are cheaper then motorcycle tires and wear longer. 2 reasons for manufacturers to go for it. So something is holding them back........possibly safety issues and the following lawsuits?

I wish you well and do keep us posted on them.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I too would like to hear how dark side tires work in corners, total milage, wet, dirt etc.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I'm intrigued by the concept , but intimidated by the consequences ( whether real or imagined ). Who wouldn't want tires at half the price and double the mileage ? The GL1800 forum has a long list of Darkside members. With very few exceptions, the majority speak positively of it. For me right now it just has the smell of " cult " about it. I'm open but not yet willing.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I equate the darkside thing to putting tracks on an ATV or a SxS. It's putting something on a machine that it was never engineered or designed for, just adapted to. There's a monetary and wear gain (short term to me), but long term inherant problems and woes with handling. Motorcycle tyres flatten somewhat to conform to the road surface, that's how they're made. Car tyres have a flat contact patch since cars are always trying to decrease lean angle and body roll, things like that. Stuff that makes motorcycles what they are.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I equate the darkside thing to putting tracks on an ATV or a SxS. It's putting something on a machine that it was never engineered or designed for, just adapted to. There's a monetary and wear gain (short term to me), but long term inherant problems and woes with handling. Motorcycle tyres flatten somewhat to conform to the road surface, that's how they're made. Car tyres have a flat contact patch since cars are always trying to decrease lean angle and body roll, things like that. Stuff that makes motorcycles what they are.
This guy is smart.....listen to him!!! He knows bikes!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Thanks for the pump Marc, but I'm no Einstein. Like to think I do have a bit of common sense though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have mounted Pirreli Euro Fiori on my 2009 for 24,500 miles. It has been a good ride, it takes a little pushing to get it over on the side, but corners great. A little power and it stands back up. Took some getting use to, but now I like it. Does not like cracks in the road!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:)Rode all last year on tire after first 50 km never gave it a second thought.
Did a trip through rocky mountains lot of twisties 2 up no problem, looking forward to this year.:) with same tire .

Not looking for anyone's approval for my using a CT I ride with at least 6 others using CT and we all enjoy our rides. Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.
Ride safe
Later All

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
:)Rode all last year on tire after first 50 km never gave it a second thought.
Did a trip through rocky mountains lot of twisties 2 up no problem, looking forward to this year.:) with same tire .

Not looking for anyone's approval for my using a CT I ride with at least 6 others using CT and we all enjoy our rides. Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.
Ride safe
Later All
You're still alive ! Thanks for checking in. The Kumo will be my next tire by the years end.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
stop by more often

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Same what detdrbuzzard said. As to the darkside thing, I contacted my tech dood at Honda Canada and got zero response one way or the other (?). What I got from Stu at Workbench (Wingworld Magazine) was very decidedly against. Just for info all, not trying to make anyone's mind up. Shoot, half the time I can't make up my own mind on things.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Thoughts?

What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
232 Posts
...Rides nice slow speed on cracks...
When you say "cracks" are you referring to the asphalt tar patches? And are you saying to go slower over the cracks? Or that your machinc rides nicer over the cracks at slow speed? Help me to understand the point you are making.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
and what are your thoughts on this? were you thinking about using a ct. i have no problems with the tire milage i get on the wings, my first street bike was a norton with dunlop k81r's on it tire replacement was monthly if not sooner :)

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I think the motorcycle tire is softer,Grips the road maybe better.It is a good idea,^0 dollars is cheaper than 200.Plus for a MC tire

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
A friend is going to do it .But not for sure yet for myself,I would like to save some money,But my wife and my life is more inportant,

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
A short video for those who want to see the surface contact with a car tire on a bike.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Fellows: There are over 900 registered users of car tires for the Goldwing 1800 listed on a forum. They come from all areas of the U.S of A. and ride their terrain and beyond. We have one of our member from Seattle on a currant trip to Arizona and back on a 1500 pulling a trailer and running a car rated tire. Let's let those who " do " speak for themselves. We don't have to follow in their footsteps but we can certainly make a choice on their personal experience. If experience means nothing, why record history ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts