Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live where the nice can get to you wing you've probably had them nest in your air cleaner during the winter. We live in the country and even with traps and poison, I've still had the little buggers nest in there.
So here's a fix they haven't been able to beat. From your local hardware store get a piece of 1/8 inch Hardware screen. about 6 inches square. You'll have strip the bike down to the air cleaner to get the intake of the air filter chamber off. Measure the opening of the throat it should be something 3" x 3" Measure to be sure. Cut a section of the screen 2 inches larger in both directions. If it measures 3" x 3" cut it 5" x 5". Then cut a 1 inch square out of each corner. You end up with a fat +. Place over the opening then fold the tabs over the lip of the opening and secure with a thin strip of yes Duct Tape. No more mice in the air filter.
The little buggers can fill the air chamber in just a few days.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Dam now I gotta worry about tearing it down to mice proof it!! what next !! Why dont I just shrink wrap and crate it!!!

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Riggin:You know I never thought of that, off to the Hardware store.:D
Ron

·
Registered
904 Posts
We use the old screen wire from old air filters to make protectors for air inlets on cars, trucks and motorcycles. Here in Alabama you have mice and squirrels to deal with.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would work, I just used what I had available and found it works well.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mice everywhere!

I bought a 95 1500 SE from a guy who stored it outside under a make shift tent/cover. When I picked it up there was signs of mice everywhere. I need to pressure wash it and start going over it so it is ready to go in spring. I guess it sounds like checking air intake would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a 95 1500 SE from a guy who stored it outside under a make shift tent/cover. When I picked it up there was signs of mice everywhere. I need to pressure wash it and start going over it so it is ready to go in spring. I guess it sounds like checking air intake would be a good idea.

Absolutely Mike; The last time I had a problem it only took them 4 days to fill the air box with insulation from a roll I had stored in the shop.
Enjoy the new ride. What color is it.
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is green/torquise with nice pin stripes. I think it will clean up with a lot of elbow grease! I will need to replace front roll bar because the chrome has to much rust. I have been working on my home trying to get as much done before winter, but I am ready to get on the wing. The shame of this bike is it only has 17,000 miles on it but should have been stored indoors and road. The guy I bought it from wife couldn't ride anymore so he let it sit.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might want to run some Sea Foam through it, Will help clean up that old gas gunk that might be in there.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is sea foam a fuel treatment? I don't know which would have been better full tank of fuel or empty tank? He filled it up so I am going to drain the tank and put fresh gas in.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike: Sea Foam is a fuel treatment. Yes, drain or syphon that old gas out. Start with fresh gas.
A full tank should have kept it from rusting. The carbs might be gunked up some from setting with gas in them. I hope not. Hopefully the Sea Foam will clean them.
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most any Auto part store should have it.
Next year before you put the wing up for the winter. You want to put a fuel stabilizer like Stable or some guys use Sea Foam also. Either one will keep the fuel from going bad over the winter.
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts