Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mounting

9K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Chopin 
#1 ·
Can anyone please describe the best/easiest/safest way for a passanger to mount a goldwing?

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
I mount the bike, hold it steady with both feet on the ground and then have the passenger mount, Mount from left side, put left foot on floorboard, raise up and swing right leg over the seat. Before my passenger mounts I have them tap me on the shoulder so I know they are ready to mount, I usually know they are mounting but this does away with any surprise, I have seen leave the bike on the side stand and have the passenger mount the bike that way then the driver will get on, I just don't trust the side stand that much.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't think there's any set best way,personal preference is the thing but left side mounting for sure like a horse. I'm like Phil-WA9WT and use the side stand,left hand on the handgrip to steady the bike,pull the Corbin backrest down and help my wife into her saddle.I'm always the gentleman and to me doing that is like opening the car door for a lady :) especially when the Lady is in her early 60's....did I say that...now I'm in trouble Ha Ha...anyway I usually get a big smile.Maybe thats why my wife likes to ride,I'm always so considerate of her and we've ridden many tens of thousands of miles together.I always ask her every so often how she's doin back there,she usually lets me know too,like the time we went through the Columbia Ice Fields in Alberta and she almost froze her toes...I bought her better riding boots real quick the next day.

-Robert-

#5 ·
Everyone has a technique that works for them and that is good. Do what works for you. I would like to put one thing out for consideration. I know the Wings are well engineered and things like sidestands seldom break, but play what if. What if you and or your significant other are mounting from the side stand (low) side and the stand breaks. With the bike already leaning that way, it is headed for the ground and there is no way you can stop it. If you are standing there, you might wind up between the bike and the ground. (I guess a plus side would be the lack of damage to the chrome and bags.)

If you mount from the right (high) side the bike is leaning away from you. If you lean yourself over the center of gravity of the bike, it will hardly lean from its original position even if you use the foot peg to gain a little altitude. About the only thing that happens is the suspension squishes down.

Like I said, what ever works for you. This is just food for thought.

#10 ·
Dear redgoldwing1 : Sorry for the tangent your topic is taking. Some of us are snowbound and suffering from cabin fever. WA9FWT started it with his " giddy - Up and away we go !!! ". Desertdog58 is comming off heat stroke from the Arizona summer. The rest of the riders here seem normal.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm with kwatts & joe. Not only don't I trust the side stand, but horsin' it upright with the little woman on the back is a tricky maneuver. I get on, stand her upright, put up the side stand, scootch forward and brace it, THEN I tell my passenger to get on. They mount from the left side, putting their left foot on the footboard and either swinging their right leg over the trunk or sliding it over behind my back.
It seems a lot simpler before you write it all down! :cool:
I think calbigbird has a good point about mounting from the high side if you do use the side stand method.

#13 ·
i strained my knees playing high school sports and the weight of holding the wing up and a passenger is a real pain. i cannot wear boots all day without feeling pain so passengers are a no go. hopefully they know how to ride, i'll loan them a bike for the day

#14 ·
I have the bike up straight with my feet FIRMLY planted on the ground. My missus taps me to insure I'm ready, I lean ahead a little and she mounts from my right. I've taught her to keep most of her weight over the center of the bike as she gets on so she's not pulling me and the bike to the right. She mounts from the right so she can easily avoid her audio controls when she puts her leg over the seat.

#15 ·
I never realized how lucky I am with my size and strength. It has never been an issue for getting a passenger onboard on any of my bikes. I've always had my butt in the saddle and both feet firmly on the ground, so the Mrs just climbs on when I tell her it's time. Kudo's to everyone that has come up with ingenious ideas to get around this. One thing I have always done that I don't think anyone has mentioned, hang on to that front brake when someone is getting on or off, especially on uneven ground or grassy/wet turf. Nothing worse than a rolling scoot when someone is in the mid-step mode.:eek:

#16 ·
passenger mounting

I use the side stand, passenger mounts from the left and dismounts to the left holding on to my shoulders. HEY! focus here, we're talking motorcycles! I stand holding the bars. Passenger steps up w left foot and sticks right foot through. I hope this make a little sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.