Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounting a hitch to my 2010 is going to be one of my Winter projects. There are a few things that I need to know.

1. Are the mounting points standard for all brands of hitches.
2. From a safety standpoint is there one brand that's better than another.
3. I am mechanically inclined, and I have all the right tools. But is this a project that is better left to the dealer since I do not have a motorcycle lift.
4. Cars and trucks have additions that increase the safety, such as sway control. Are there any hitch additions that increases the safety factor for motorcycles? It often looks dangerous when the motorcycle goes into a curve and there is excessive lean when pulling a trailer.

I'm sure I will have other questions when it comes time to trailer, but these are my main concerns right now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sevo, my 1500 already had a hitch on it when I purchased it, I put the one on my 1800.
There are several makers out there, you'll need to decide first whether you want a verticle or standard horizontal reciever.
Not all hitches are the same, look for a hitch that mounts to the more to the fame, than the saddlebag subframe. I installed the Bushtec, a 6 point mount on the 1800, 4 to the frame and 2 to the subframe, not sure about the 1500. Bushtec is on the pricey side but seem to be very popular and appear to be well made, I 'm pleased with my selection.
I was able to install my hitch myself with the bike on the centerstand and standard tools.
Can't say I've seen a motorcycle without a safety chain. Don't know about sway bars, but there are some big trailers out there (campers). Manufactures will tell you that towing a trailer with the motorcycle is inherently dangerous, Honda syas don't do it, things do happen, maintain your bike and trailer properly, learn to ride with it safely and you 'll experience many happy miles with a trailer if you so choose.
I pull a Bushtec trailer that uses a 360 swivel on the tongue of the trailer, some use a standard ball without issue, there are thoughts and arguments on both. Good luck with you project

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
I know of two 1800 that had the welds brake on the hitch. Don't know what brand they were but appearently, they do not fit well and when the mounting bolts are tightened there is a lot of stress on the welds. If what ever hitch you get stress's the welds i wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Really! Would be interesting to know the manufacturer in the cases you mention. I know the Bushtec had a very specific procedure/sequence for tightenening all bolts to complete the assembly. I'll have to make it a point to check the welds on mine.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
Really! Would be interesting to know the manufacturer in the cases you mention. I know the Bushtec had a very specific procedure/sequence for tightenening all bolts to complete the assembly. I'll have to make it a point to check the welds on mine.
I sent off an e-mail to see if the local guys knows what brand was on his.
Will let you know.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
One of the hitches was an Add On. After the hitch was reweld the guy is happy with it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Hannigan is a nice trailer, was originally at the top of my list until I ran across my bushtec. There are opinions pro and con about the use of a swivel hitch/tongue on the trailer/bike and several options for making that happen, some manufactures even provide the option when purchasing the trailer. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
If you've ever dropped a bike with a trailer behind and no swivel you'll understand why they are popular additions. Our customers seem to prefer the Kuryakin hitches, but the Bushtec would be my choice personally. As far as I know, all States and Provinces require dual safety chains on all trailer applications on a ball hitch, which is not only prudent, but safer for everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.